Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How many baking shhets does one really need?
None - because Orlando does all the baking. 2 8.33%
One - just to catch drippings when I’m making hasenpfeffer. 2 8.33%
Two - to have a second sheet ready when the first comes out, saving time. 6 25.00%
Three - and only three. Four is right out of it. 7 29.17%
Four - Your first 2 will be ruined to rookie mistakes and you always need 2 good ones. 4 16.67%
More than four - because I trash one everytime I make eggplant. 4 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Cookie Sheet Poll - in the AW tradition.

My niece is getting married ‘sometime soon’ and there has been a ragging family debate on just how many baking sheets (She’s asked specifically for baking stuff) should be given as presents, or just how many baking sheets any one person really needs??

So in the tradition of “You know you’ve been at AW too long” when you understand the strange poll answer options...

I thought I’d initiate, er, um...
toss this silly question out to the members.

How many baking sheets does one person need?

*bizarre alternative answers are expected*

Literary & Misfit Writers Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeiae View Post
Clearly, you've never had a mouth full of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
Billtrumpet25
Gaze upon my shih-tzu powers!

Billtrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBilltrumpet25 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
How often do they plan on baking?

War of the Wizard (Book 1): undergoing editing

The Wizard's Curse (Book 2): 60% complete

"The Dark Ages: Life With a Bipolar (WIP-narrative nonfiction of my experiences with my bipolar dad, and how to deal with the bp dis.'s turbulence.

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view...45&trk=tab_pro

https://twitter.com/BillFitzgibbons
Billtrumpet25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #3
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Serious answer: One works, but two is better.

Non-serious answer: If you're glue-gunning them to the ceiling to keep the aliens from controlling your thoughts, quite a few.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
alleycat
Ho Ho . . . Ack! Ack!
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A serious answer is a home baker needs a variety of small to large baking pans (and racks); 8x8 or 9x9, 9x13, loaf pans, etc.
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
Stlight
ideas are floating where they will

Location: where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of things
Stlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
At least four, because you always need one more than you thought and strange and evil things happen in kitchens. I'd also go with AC's answer. Definitely two different sizes of cake pans, but two of each size - seriously.
Stlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Lavern08
When All Else Fails, Lavern It©

Lavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLavern08 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Two.

One for actually baking cookies.

One (larger) to place under a pie or two to catch any spillage.

Personally, I'd give her a pair of *bedazzled* oven mitts to go with.

DON'T FORGET TO SEND A DONATION TO AW FOR CHRISTMAS!!!
Lavern08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
Liralen
Miss Conceived

Liralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Are you sure she didn't want bacon sheets?

Seriously, a couple of good professional type airbake cookie sheets, maybe a smaller one, and four 9" cake pans. If she's serious about baking she'll want to be able to make four layer cakes and be able to weigh them out to make sure they're even. For starters. There is no such thing as too many baking accoutrements!

A couple of different sized stainless offset frosting spatulas too.

Can you find the Pitbull?

WIP ~ The Black Dog Dialogues: At the raw, dark fringes of exhaustion, there is The Black Dog
Liralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
MaryMumsy
the original blond bombshell

MaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryMumsy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have no cookie sheets. I have 4 pizza pans, they are much more versatile. Also a large sheet type pan with edges about 1 inch deep. That's the one I cook bacon on in the oven. And I second or third or whatever about cooling racks.

MM

That is Mae West, not me.
MaryMumsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Actually, Mary, I use a pizza pan for all my oven-cooking goodness too.

I think we have 2, but we use alfoil over this one to prevent it from getting all icky. Some meals barely affect the alfoil, some are instant "replace alfoil!" nightmares. It's the latter that give me reason to use alfoil.

And I agree - you can cook most things on a normal pizza tray, whereas the other trays we have won't fit a pizza.

Note: I don't bake cookies, muffins or cakes, but if I did, I'd probably use other trays.
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
alleycat
Ho Ho . . . Ack! Ack!
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Really, if someone want baking cookware for their wedding gift there is no shortage of options.

Buy some good quality stuff and they will enjoy it for a long time to come.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Liralen
Miss Conceived

Liralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh! One of my new favorites is one of those mini-muffin sheets. I use it often, and love it especially for making brownies.

Third on the cooling racks.

The 1" sheet pan (jellyroll pan) is definitely handy.

Can you find the Pitbull?

WIP ~ The Black Dog Dialogues: At the raw, dark fringes of exhaustion, there is The Black Dog
Liralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
alleycat
Ho Ho . . . Ack! Ack!
SuperModerator

For muffin pans and similar, the Wilton stuff is generally pretty good.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #13
Bookewyrme
Imagined half of it.

Bookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBookewyrme is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
At least three cookie sheets, a pizza pan, one 9in casserole dish, 1 8x8 square glass dish, 2 of each size loaf pan, 2-4 muffin tins, 2 pie plates...and don't forget the cooling racks! At least 2 good-sized ones. I use all of them routinely (though I don't have quite as many as I've listed, sadly).
Bookewyrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #14
Stlight

Stlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStlight is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cooling racks, totally forgot them and they are so important. Without the cooling racks what you bake gets weird.

Pot holders are good too. If you got her two or three things you could put a pot holders between each one in the gift box, or oven mitts in the corners of the box. An aloe plant might be nice, too.

Just saying.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
alleycat
Ho Ho . . . Ack! Ack!
SuperModerator

We are ruining this thread by posting serious comments!

This has to stop.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #16
Stlight

Kitchens are scary places. The thought of them makes people serious.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #17
BenPanced
Tonight on Mythbusters

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
We are ruining this thread by posting serious comments!

This has to stop.
booooooooooooogers!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'll ditto the fact that pizza pans serve just fine for cookies, biscuits, and catching pie eruptions.

However, this is not what someone serious about baking is looking for. My airfoil sheets are pretty awesome for cookies (and there's nothing wrong with rectangular pizza, either.)

True story: I'm currently making do with one airfoil cookie sheet because my husband is using my other one as a shelf in one of our cupboards. This is what one does when one moves to a new place with a smaller kitchen--one finds dowels and jury-rigs a cubbyhole for the popcorn popper to live in.

And me refraining from making cookies until we get a shelf cut to the right size is, of course, simply not an option.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #19
kenthepen
practical experience, FTW

kenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskenthepen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We also just moved into a house with a smaller kitchen, less than half the cabinet space, and a TINY stove.

Right now we only have one too-small rectangular sheet(and yet it just barely fits in the oven) and one round sheet. Ah well, there's alway aluminininiuuuuminium(for our British friends) foil.

So the best answer? Get a bigger oven.

Severe allergic reaction to the slightest traces of reality

Kenneth Folta available on Smashwords
kenthepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #20
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Or eat smaller meals.

Oh, who am I kidding? Bigger oven, stat!
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
Shadow_Ferret
Snow? Already?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
At least 4. For some cookies, you need to chill the pans, so you'd have two you're putting the cookies on, then when they go in the oven, you remove the other two that are chilling and load them up. Hmm. Maybe you need 6 then. 2 in the oven, 2 on the table getting cookies, and 2 chilling. Yeah. 6.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
All else fails, cover all the bases; get metric ones!
Xelebes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #23
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I was giving this tons of thought until I realized "Hey, I don't have an oven."

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #24
LaurieD
aka Skwirrel

LaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
At least 4 if she's into baking more than one type of cookie at a time.

I've used rectangular pizza sheets and airfoil rectangular sheets and hafta say the airfoils have been awesome.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAssauer View Post
*bizarre alternative answers are expected*
As you already expected something like this...

Fire extinguishers.

I'm serious. The kitchen is a terrifying and deadly place, and a small household fire extinguisher is something which is both practical and thoughtful - though you might not want to imply that the giving of such an item is indicative of your thoughts on her cooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote