Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess of Spring
AW Poet Laureate

Ambrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Homeland Security recommends disabling Java

The Department of Homeland Security has recommended citizens disable Java due to a security bug.

I haven't heard them recommend such a thing before regarding software bugs. It seems odd to me. Anyone else?

I have given in to the Blog Bug. Visit my Duchy here.

"Hmmm .... Duchess after much thought you are clearly the Tribal Sage." Neporsche, Tribal Scribe

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."

-- George Orwell's "1984"

Ambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #2
Devil Ledbetter
Come on you stranger, you legend,

Devil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It looks legit enough that we've disabled Java on all our rigs. Oracle doesn't have a patch for this. I'm really surprised there isn't more buzz about it, since it's on all the major news sources.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

Location: It's like I went back in a time machine to the 60's
Paperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of light
I'm not sure what the vulnerability is about, but here is how to disable java

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414191,00.asp
Paperback Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
They're about three months behind Apple and Microsoft.

Don't confuse Java, used to run applications in a Web browser, with JavaScript. JavaScript is OK.

Keep in mind that if you use Star Chat to chat, you'll need to re-enable Java before you can use it or other Java applets.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
Oracle have seriously dropped the ball these last few months.

ALMOST FINISHED OMG: BROKEN THINGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #6
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

Paperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of lightPaperback Writer is a glorious beacon of light
From what I read apparently this is just one of many vulnerabilities in java. Disabling is a must now.

Last edited by Paperback Writer; 01-13-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

I checked my Windows 7 Firefox and it was already disabled thankfully. I went ahead and disabled the entire plugin just in case. The plugin was missing on my Mint laptop too.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/p182

Java Plugin 7 update 10 and lower (click-to-play), Windows has been blocked for your protection.

Why was it blocked?The Java plugin is causing significant security problems. All users are strongly recommended to keep the plugin disabled unless necessary.Who is affected?All users who have these versions of the plugin installed in Firefox 17 and above.What does this mean? The problematic add-on or plugin will be automatically disabled and no longer usable.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #8
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess of Spring
AW Poet Laureate

Ambrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Which is all good and fine, but since when does Homeland Security start issuing such warnings? That is what seems odd to me.

"Hmmm .... Duchess after much thought you are clearly the Tribal Sage." Neporsche, Tribal Scribe

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."

Old 01-13-2013, 02:40 AM   #9
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Does this apply everywhere or just in America?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #10
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

Everywhere, the software is the same.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #11
mirandashell

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Odd that it's not been publicised over here then.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #12
clintl
Represent.

clintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
Odd that it's not been publicised over here then.
Why would your tabloid reporters publicize something when doing so would make it harder for them to hack into people's computers?
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 AM   #13
mirandashell

Well... yeah. There is that! LOL!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:01 AM   #14
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
The Guardian covered it back in August. (The BBC, oddly, seems to have avoided any mention of it.)

ALMOST FINISHED OMG: BROKEN THINGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"

Last edited by EMaree; 01-13-2013 at 03:32 AM.
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:33 AM   #15
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
Which is all good and fine, but since when does Homeland Security start issuing such warnings? That is what seems odd to me.
After they got affected by the hole, I expect.

A number of the IT lists I'm on started coverage of this in May.

There were problems with large deployments at some schools even before that, especially on Windows but on OS X too.

The updates and variations started confusing even professionals.

The army started issuing cautions about deploying jave apps even before that, as did Apple.

They are again, like TSA theater, going about it wrong.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 01-13-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
AZ_Dawn
AW Addict

AZ_Dawn has earned our admirationAZ_Dawn has earned our admirationAZ_Dawn has earned our admirationAZ_Dawn has earned our admiration
Anyone know how long this is going to last?

Ahoy, I've period pirate names fer ye. Really, they're up on me blog now.
AZ_Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #17
Shadow Dragon
the philosophical pegasus

Shadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolness
Oracle says they will fix the problem "shortly."
Quote:
Oracle Corp said it is preparing an update to address a flaw in its widely used Java software after the U.S. Department of Homeland Security urged computer users to disable the program in web browsers because criminal hackers are exploiting a security bug to attack PCs.

"A fix will be available shortly," the company said in a statement released late on Friday.

Company officials could not be reached on Saturday to say how quickly the update would be available for the hundreds of millions of PCs that have Java installed.

The Department of Homeland Security and computer security experts said on Thursday that hackers figured out how to exploit the bug in a version of Java used with Internet browsers to install malicious software on PCs. That has enabled them to commit crimes from identity theft to making an infected computer part of an ad-hoc computer network that can be used to attack websites.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,5437237.story
Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #18
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess of Spring
AW Poet Laureate

Thanks, Medi.

Shadow Dragon, thanks for the Chicago Tribune's article.

Quote:
making an infected computer part of an ad-hoc computer network that can be used to attack websites.
Using the bug to commandeer individual computers to make a network to attack websites brings the scope up to the point I see the reason for Homeland Security to get involved. I couldn't see their reasoning before now.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #19
Flicka
Dull Old Person

Flicka is a glorious beacon of lightFlicka is a glorious beacon of lightFlicka is a glorious beacon of light
The Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency has recommended it too, so it's not just the American government.

"She had not character enough to take to drinking, and moaned about, slipshod and in curl-papers all day"
Flicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Looks like Oracle is finally getting this patched.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #21
AZ_Dawn
AW Addict

AZ_Dawn has earned our admirationAZ_Dawn has earned our admirationAZ_Dawn has earned our admirationAZ_Dawn has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
I don't know; the comments are kind of pessimistic about the patch. I never realized just how much of my web experience was made possible and/or easier by Java until I shut it off for Firefox.* (I have Java 6.something on my hard drive, so my IE is all right-ish.) I desperately want to turn Java back on, but I want to know if it's worth it. *For one thing the freaking smiley menu won't open. For another thing, my post is formatting weirdly.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #22
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Dawn View Post
I don't know; the comments are kind of pessimistic about the patch. I never realized just how much of my web experience was made possible and/or easier by Java until I shut it off for Firefox.* (I have Java 6.something on my hard drive, so my IE is all right-ish.) I desperately want to turn Java back on, but I want to know if it's worth it. *For one thing the freaking smiley menu won't open. For another thing, my post is formatting weirdly.
You've confused Java with JavaScript.

JavaScript is used by more than half the Web sites on the 'net. Including this one; that's why your're having trouble formatting and using pop-up menus. If you clicked a clicky box in your Web browser, you've turned off Java Script, not Java.

Java is a plug-in or binary add on. On Windows systems it may be called JRE or Jave Runtime Environment.

Here's how to remove Java on Windows.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #23
AZ_Dawn
AW Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
You've confused Java with JavaScript.

JavaScript is used by more than half the Web sites on the 'net. Including this one; that's why your're having trouble formatting and using pop-up menus. If you clicked a clicky box in your Web browser, you've turned off Java Script, not Java.
Java Script was turned off in Firefox! Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:43 AM   #24
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Dawn View Post
Java Script was turned off in Firefox! Thanks for the tip.
They're totally different things.

Some idiot thought it would be a good idea to give them similar-sounding names.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:19 AM   #25
Paperback Writer
Learning the craft

At this point I would just leave it disabled, and turn it on on an as needed basis. Oracle will just leave the next security hole unattended for as long as they can as well.