Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
whistlelock
Whiskey Rebel

whistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for President
Gun Appreciation Day

http://gunappreciationday.com/

It's not just January 19th, it's Gun Appreciation Day! A brand new...holiday...I'm not sure what that is. Anyway, 2nd amendment supports, gun people, and those sort have declared the 19th to be the official Gun Appreciation Day.

Of course, it's just prior to Inauguration Day for President Obama's 2nd term. Coincidence?

It's also 72 hours before MLK Day.

So poor planning or do you think they forgot about MLK and how he died?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's also 72 hours from the anniversary of Roe vs Wade, and on the very anniversary of Klaus Barbie's surrender, Cuba's recognition of Israel and Rouen's surrender to Henry V. These days I try not to read too much into stuff. If it is meant to coincide with the inauguration, it's to be a political show of support for gun rights. I'm no double-barreled gun rightser nor gun grabber, but I really, really doubt there was much more thought going into it than that.

Resingled Querying!
Nyasaland Off to betas. PM me if you'd like to help a guy out.
WIP: WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 41,000 words.

Write on, Brother! (blog)
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistlelock View Post
http://gunappreciationday.com/

It's not just January 19th, it's Gun Appreciation Day! A brand new...holiday...I'm not sure what that is. Anyway, 2nd amendment supports, gun people, and those sort have declared the 19th to be the official Gun Appreciation Day.

Of course, it's just prior to Inauguration Day for President Obama's 2nd term. Coincidence?
I thought it was only crazy right-wingers (and liberal 9/11 truthers) that went for conspiracy theories.

The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
Americans are so enamored of equality they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.~Alexis de Tocqueville
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.~Unknown

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist

This is not your grandfather's Evil Empire.
Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
folkchick
Not a new kid

folkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputationfolkchick has a golden reputation
I'm officially calling this "Hold your gun and cry" day. "Waaaaa, don't take away my gun. Mama told me I could have my gun forever, and that there'd always be a white president. Now everything's all messed up!" Waaaaa, waaaaa, waaaaa.

The Secret Life of Johnny Cool~wip

blog * twitter
folkchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

missesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This seems at odds with the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" mantra. Are we only appreciating guns when then kill bad guys or save lives? Or we also appreciating them when they take out a room of five year olds?

Would make more sense to call it "responsible gun owners appreciation day" and use it to teach about gun safety and awareness, etc etc. But no, that would be too practical.

Anyway, according to the site in the OP, they deliberately planned it to coincide with inauguration. Tacky.
missesdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Onion is good today.

Quote:
SAN DIEGO—Following the events of last week, in which a crazed western lowland gorilla ruthlessly murdered 21 people in a local shopping plaza after escaping from the San Diego Zoo, sources across the country confirmed Thursday that national gorilla sales have since skyrocketed.

“After seeing yet another deranged gorilla just burst into a public place and start killing people, I decided I need to make sure something like that never happens to me,” said 34-year-old Atlanta resident Nick Keller, shortly after purchasing a 350-pound mountain gorilla from his local gorilla store. “It just gives me peace of mind knowing that if I’m ever in that situation, I won’t have to just watch helplessly as my torso is ripped in half and my face is chewed off. I’ll be able to use my gorilla to defend myself.”
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
clintl
Represent.

clintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Guns owners are not in any real danger of more restrictions, anyway. Nothing will pass in the House, and anything with substance will get filibustered in the Senate, and ultimately, not even brought to a vote. Possibly the only thing that would even have a chance is to close the ridiculous loophole on background checks at gun shows. And I doubt that could pass this Congress.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
crunchyblanket
the Juggernaut of Imperfection

crunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm sure the parents of the Sandy Hook victims will be appreciatin' right alongside them...

My short story "When Charlie Sleeps" is in Best British Horror 2014. Buy it. It'll make you happier and sexier.

crunchyblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 AM   #9
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by missesdash View Post
This seems at odds with the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" mantra. Are we only appreciating guns when then kill bad guys or save lives? Or we also appreciating them when they take out a room of five year olds?

Would make more sense to call it "responsible gun owners appreciation day" and use it to teach about gun safety and awareness, etc etc. But no, that would be too practical.
I agree. I could get behind a responsible gun owners appreciation day. But gun appreciation day is strange and a little silly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes:

http://celiacyanide.tumblr.com/
Celia Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
ReallyRong
In Time-Out For My Sins

ReallyRong is a shiny, shiny jewelReallyRong is a shiny, shiny jewel
And what do you know, it's also put your gun in the bin day!
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=262157
ReallyRong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
At least they didn't declare it "Take Your Weapon to Work" Day.

The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
Americans are so enamored of equality they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.~Alexis de Tocqueville
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.~Unknown

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist

This is not your grandfather's Evil Empire.
Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
Satori1977
Listening to the Voices In My Head

Satori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSatori1977 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblanket View Post
I'm sure the parents of the Sandy Hook victims will be appreciatin' right alongside them...
Now that is what I find most insensitive. 20 children and several adults killed recently. So let's appreciate the weapon of choice that put them in the ground.

Richard Castle

Satori1977 is offline   Reply With Quote