Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
gell214
practical experience, FTW

gell214 is on a distinguished road
Inspirational/ Motivationa quotes for the discouraged writer.

I just thought it would be fun and maybe helpful to have a thread where we can share our inspirational/ motivational writing quotes.

There maybe a writer out there feeling down and low and a quote from here may just convince him/her to stop sulking and continue writing.

So, just a couple of rules here.

1) Quote must be:inspirational/encouraging/motivational and must be about writing or can be related to (please do explainhow) writing.
2) Mention the quote's source please. Include a link if you can.
3) If you could and if you have time, maybe share why you chose that quote. How did it help you?

I'll start...

"Pretend to be someone who can do it, and then act like they would." -Neil Gaiman. Link to the speech where he says this.

I've done this already, numerous times. And it works. An example:

Every single time I think about giving up on my WIPs, I pretend to be a published author who has an agent badgering him to finish his next book. I would pretend that there's a deadline I have to meet and that I have already proven I can be published... and then I act like a published author would-- write, write, write.

Le blog (under construction).

Le g+.
Le FaceBook.
Le Twitter.
gell214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
AnotherMorning
practical experience, FTW

AnotherMorning is on a distinguished road
You could try here:

http://bighow.com/news/the-art-of-gr...-great-writers

I've found some inspiration on that page.

Short Stories

The Man in the Reflecting Pool - Stanley the Whale

The Journey through Nanking - Independent Ink Magazine issue 3 Fall 2011

Ghosts - Terracotta Typewriter issue 9 January 2012
AnotherMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Here's all the inspiration you should need:

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams
JimmyB27 is offline   Reply With Quote