Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
scribbledoutname
Nobody said I couldn't.

scribbledoutname is on a distinguished road
Errr, how exactly do you find out how big a market is?

Finished my new MS and I'm letting it sit. I've got a bunch of ideas for what to start next and the future but there isn't really anything to compare them to. My stories don't really seem to line up with anything that's out there.

So is it safe to assume that a story has a big market if you can see a lot of people enjoying it? I can't really say any of them are niche exactly. Mostly action/adventures based on different themes (strife in a witch's world, kitsune troubles spilling over into the human world, a gryphon shapeshifter community and their troubles... fantasy stuff) with a little bit of romance thrown in... but they're not really similar enough in storyline to say This one'll be good for fans of Graceling or That one'll be good for people who like Northern Lights. They're not PNR either, so I can't really pass it off as me switching out the MC's supernatural lover with another mythical creature.

I'm not doing anything experimental with my writing style or story structure and like I said, they're about the characters. So how do I tell if certain stories will have a big market, especially when nothing similar has been done?
scribbledoutname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

missesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well assuming you're going to query it, you don't really need to figure out the size of the market. Comparable titles aren't a requirement.

But if the writing is good and the story interesting, but not marketable you'll get a lot of query responses that say something like "I love this, but have no idea how I'd place it."

If it's not niche, then agents will be excited to read something new. Also try getting a few beta readers that read a lot of YA, specifically your genre. They may suggest comp titles.

But yeah, I wouldn't stress over it. How marketable something is doesn't necessarily depend on the size of the market. A lot of factors play into it.
missesdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
scribbledoutname
Nobody said I couldn't.

scribbledoutname is on a distinguished road
Awesome, thanks misses!
scribbledoutname is offline   Reply With Quote