Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Freelance & Work for Hire > Freelance Writing
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
The Don
Life is My Illusion

The Don is on a distinguished road
Including Editor Reviews in a Portfolio or Cover Letter.

I have a nice editor review that I recieved in regards to a load of writing I did for a site that I no longer write for. Is it appropriate to include that review in a portfolio? If so, would it be best to paraphrase or simply paste in the review, stating where it came from?

I don't have the one good writing reference that I know will pop out at potential clients, so I am looking for anything to spice up the portfolio a bit. Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Don:

Do you mean a portfolio for freelance assignments? Do you have any other writing samples--articles you wrote for the site you no longer work for? Clips from other articles? Do you write a blog?

As for me, I would not include the editor review because that is just one person's opinion. I think whomever hires you on assignment would want to see actual writing samples.

This is just my opinion, though. Hopefully others who have built a portfolio to work on assignment will answer soon.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My feeling is that this would be more appropriate for a portfolio than a cover letter. I'm only familiar with query letters for fiction, so I'm not sure how you would handle the review in a non-fiction query/proposal package.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Moved from Roundtable to Freelancing.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
SpiderGal
Princess of Nerds

SpiderGal is a shiny, shiny jewelSpiderGal is a shiny, shiny jewel
If this is for a non-fiction market, such a Website or a magazine, I would not include any such reviews into the intro letter. You can, as others have suggested, include links to your published writing.
SpiderGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
The Don
Life is My Illusion

Thank you all for your replies.
Susan, it is for a portfolio. I do blog and have some links and clips from articles. Much of my work is ghostwriting, so I believe I would have to get permission to use any of that from whoever I sold it to.

Agreed that it would not work so well with a cover letter.

I recieved a reply in a Linked In group on this question from a writer who says she does portfolios for clients. She states that this is "exactly" the type of thing to include in a portfolio and gave examples of how to do it, including who the editor(s) work for.

It seems a logical way to go about it, so think I will try it that way.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
gettingby
practical experience, FTW

gettingby is a shiny, shiny jewelgettingby is a shiny, shiny jewel
Honesty. your writing comes down to the work you produce, not what someone says about it. I know you just said you are going to include it in your portfolio, but I would think twice about it.
gettingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
The Don
Life is My Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettingby View Post
Honesty. your writing comes down to the work you produce, not what someone says about it. I know you just said you are going to include it in your portfolio, but I would think twice about it.
There are certainly varying opinions. I think some of it may be the type of writing you are doing. It may be less pertinent to have these reviews for non-fiction. I'll mull it over and just see what I come out with. I can always change it.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
Debbie V
Mentoring Myself and Others

Debbie V has earned our admirationDebbie V has earned our admirationDebbie V has earned our admirationDebbie V has earned our admiration
Don,
Please keep us posted if you decide to use it in a portfolio. I'm curious to know how that works out.
Debbie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #10
The Don
Life is My Illusion

I included the editor's comments in a cover letter and landed a decent paying, ongoing contract gig. I am thinking it is a good idea to include in a cover letter or portfolio, if it is presented well. Particularly for someone who does not have many obviously big-name clients that jump off the page. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #11
jeffo
practical experience, FTW

jeffo has a spectacular aura
Glad to hear that worked out for you, congrats!

My Absolute Write Magazine Library Shelf.
My on-line Clips.
jeffo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
Melina
Getting better all the time
AW Moderator

Melina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Excellent! Thanks for reporting back here, it could be a great new strategy for freelancers to adopt!

"If it's not one thing, it's another."--Gilda Radner as Roseanne Roseannadanna
Melina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #13
The Don
Life is My Illusion

Thank you Jeffo and Melina. It worked for one client at least. The job is working out well so far. Not always the most exciting gig and you never know when they may run out of work, so still working on that portfolio!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #14
WeaselFire
Benefactor Member

WeaselFire has earned our admirationWeaselFire has earned our admirationWeaselFire has earned our admirationWeaselFire has earned our admiration
I had a portfolio ages ago when I applied to be an associate editor at several magazines. But that's more like a job interview than a query. Otherwise, I've always just queried the proposed article and skipped anything else. Unless I had a specific tie-in to something.

Jeff
WeaselFire is offline   Reply With Quote