Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for President
How long to wait between querying different MSs?

Ok, so I went through the most recent 25 pages here, and a search yielded too many unrelated posts. Please point me to a source if there's a previous thread I have missed.

I'm curious about how long one should wait between querying two different MSs if the agent list overlaps. I read somewhere that as little as a month would be ok, but since querying can be a long process, I'm wondering if it's best to wait longer. A few months, or maybe even six?

ETA: This is all speculative, and obviously would change significantly if the work queried first received a lot of interest or spawns revisions (if I were to be so lucky). Neither work is polished yet, but I'm working on revisions for two things that seem to be coming together at the same time.
wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
amschilling
practical experience, FTW

amschilling has earned our admirationamschilling has earned our admirationamschilling has earned our admirationamschilling has earned our admiration
I've heard six months on average, but also anywhere from 3 months to a year. I'd probably err on the longer side, so they wouldn't feel like I was spamming or digging into a trunk for crap. If an agent said "no thanks, but I'd be interested in future works," though, it'd be hard to wait longer than the absolute second I had the next thing ready.

Help me. Save me. Kill me. Do it. In his mind, they’re all the same. - CREEP

Web Serial | Facebook | Twitter

TOXIC: YA Urban Fantasy web serial - now available!

GRENDEL: Dark Fantasy (Querying)
CREEP: Dark Fantasy (waiting for edits)
ALEXI'S GHOST: YA Gothic (WIP)
DAGDA'S CAULDRON: Contemp. Fantasy (Researching)
amschilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just something to think about if you're considering doing this. If you're querying two manuscripts close together, you'll probably still have some queries out. I waited months between once and still had some that I hadn't heard back from with the first MS.

The hard part about this is keeping up with both at the same time. For instance, if you send MS one to Agent A at Awesome Agency, you can't send MS two to Agent B at Awesome Agency at the same time, for the same reason you can't send one manuscript to two people at the same agency. It's just an extra level of complexity that needs to be considered as you're submitting. Not really a big deal, but something to be aware of as you work.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for President
Hmm. Yea. The more I think about it, the more I think I'd prefer to not have them overlap too much, partially for my own sanity. One is YA and one is MG, so I would likely want to query some of the same agencies, if not the same agents, on both pieces. After this draft, perhaps I'll take a few days and take a long hard look at which I feel is the more wonderful, more polished, more marketable work and try to focus on that one first. I would expect the various rounds of QLH and query sending may take quite awhile.

On the upside, it might buoy my spirits to know that if the first MS doesn't land an agent, I've already got another project I feel passionately about. (As well as give me something to focus on while querying so I don't bite my fingernails off.)

Thank you both!
wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote