Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
ccarver30
The Appleton House

ccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Question RUE: Resist the Urge to Explain

I discovered this phrase in Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Browne/King and keep coming across examples as I am editing.

Example:
She clutched onto his forearm in order for him to hear her pleas.

It's awful. I know.

I feel this is even borderline:

He flipped up the collar on his coat to shield himself from the wind.

Does anyone else have to catch themselves from explaining TOO much??
ccarver30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
quickWit
Totally Ninja!

quickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquickWit is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
No.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Jessica_312
practical experience, FTW

Jessica_312 is on a distinguished road
Sure, all the time. I think plenty of things merit explanation, however, there are many times I catch myself explaining obvious things that the reader should pick up from context. Mainly I just have a bad habit of being wordy, and I'm trying to fix that
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickWit View Post
No.

Ditto.

One of the main comments I get is that I'm not explaining enough.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
LJD

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
Occasionally. But I find I need to explain more just as frequently--I have a pretty bare-bones writing style.
LJD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think I'm getting better at not doing that, especially like the first example; explaining the character's inner environment when I could use action or dialog much more effectively. I've had to work at it, though.

LJD: I have a bare bones style too, now. But I've found I'm really intolerant of wordy descriptions now. A page and a half to describe the garage and everything in it? I used to think that was cool to paint the reader a vivid picture but now I just get annoyed that I've had to wade through all that.

Resingled Querying!
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
adm
Benefactor Member

adm is on a distinguished road
Sometimes I explain when I shouldn't and don't explain when I should.
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Chase
AW benefactor & vice versa

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSauger View Post
One of the main comments I get is that I'm not explaining enough.
My writing is usually taciturn, too, but every now and then my wonderful editor says, "We get it, Chase. Put your two-by-four away and believe the reader is smarter than you think." She's always spot on.
Chase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #9
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not a whole lot. If we already know what is going on in the scene, no explanation is necessary when he grabs her forearm or he puts his collar up.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Susan Littlefield; 01-10-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #10
gell214

gell214 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Same here.

Le blog (under construction).

Le g+.
Le FaceBook.
Le Twitter.
gell214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #11
Sunflowerrei

Sunflowerrei has a spectacular auraSunflowerrei has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Me, too.

Percolating Idea: Gilded Age. Victoria expects to marry her cousin Conrad, except he marries an American heiress.

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles

Twitter

Goodreads
Sunflowerrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:44 AM   #12
sharpyetblunt
figuring it all out

sharpyetblunt is on a distinguished road
I usually write something and then go through realising i can cut all my sentences in half basically.
sharpyetblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 AM   #13
mfarraday
Time Traveler

mfarraday has a spectacular auramfarraday has a spectacular aura
i think it's a good idea to 'economize' and make things concise/less wordy, and i agree with the basic principle that you shouldn't overexplain. but i've also run into writing that explains NOTHING, and it can get tiring trying to figure out what's going on. sometimes it gets to the point where i finally give up.

mfarraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #14
lolchemist
Shooting stars.

lolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admiration
It's okay, you're allowed to explain sometimes as long as it isn't distracting or annoying to the reader. I mean maybe the guy was popping his collar to look cute and failing rather than to shield himself from the cold! And maybe the girl was grabbing the guy so that she could feel his sexy forearm. Explanations are important!

Anyway, don't over-think it. You will edit those sentences out once you're doing revisions anyways.

Current WIP (YA Contemporary) - Book 1: 32,958 of 90,000 X Book 2: 40,359 of 90,000
Current WIP (YA Fantasy) - Book 1: 68,055 of 75,000 x Book 2:
10,512 of 75,000
x Book 3:
09,962 of 75,000 x Book 4:
12,490 of 75,000
lolchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #15
LJD

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
LJD: I have a bare bones style too, now. But I've found I'm really intolerant of wordy descriptions now. A page and a half to describe the garage and everything in it? I used to think that was cool to paint the reader a vivid picture but now I just get annoyed that I've had to wade through all that.
I never much liked those. That's why I write the way I do
LJD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #16
rwm4768

rwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputation
I generally prefer to stay on the light side in both explanation and description. I'll include some parts like the example in first drafts, but then those are usually the parts that get cut in subsequent drafts (unless they really seem necessary).

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 160K Revising
The Man in the Crystal Prison (Upper MG Fantasy): 3,000/75,000
Lightweaver (Epic Fantasy): 105K Revising
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #17
mellymel
I find ur lack of faith disturbing

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I did this a lot when I first started writing and didn't know better. I've gotten a lot better with experience and writing more novels and have learned a ton from my beta readers who have forced me to be more conscientious of those newbie type mistakes. I will occasionally slip into it in first drafts (I still consider myself a semi-newb) when I'm just trying to get my story down, but will filter all that extraneous stuff out when I go through it.

WIP: YA Psychological Thriller--ForNever--Being queried! Please pass the vomit bucket.

Find me on Twitter!: melksan
mellymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #18
ccarver30
The Appleton House

ccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolchemist View Post
It's okay, you're allowed to explain sometimes as long as it isn't distracting or annoying to the reader. I mean maybe the guy was popping his collar to look cute and failing rather than to shield himself from the cold! And maybe the girl was grabbing the guy so that she could feel his sexy forearm. Explanations are important!

Anyway, don't over-think it. You will edit those sentences out once you're doing revisions anyways.
Novel is 19th century England and that's her brother's forearm. LMAO this made me chuckle.
ccarver30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #19
BethS
writer, rider, reader...ex-pat!

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarver30 View Post
I feel this is even borderline:

He flipped up the collar on his coat to shield himself from the wind.

Depends. If you've already said it's windy, then no need to explain why he flips the collar up. If wind or cold has not been mentioned, then I'd wonder why the author bothered to describe such a trivial action.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I did in the novel before this one, to the point where I was describing weird shit like my mc reaches over to turn a knob. Lord have mercy, thank god for beta readers.
/my little blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #21
Tocotin
deceives

Tocotin has a spectacular auraTocotin has a spectacular aura
Not this kind of overexplaining, no. I think it can be avoided if you make effort to really describe what you see - and what you want the reader to notice with you - when writing a scene. The reader will get what's going on and why, only from watching the surroundings/situation. The girl feels anxious, so she grabs the guy's arm. If there is more than one way to interpret her action, that's good, and it'll help you in plot and character development as well.
チョイト解けます 炬燵中 ハヒヤヒヤ
Tocotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 PM   #22
Reziac
Resident Alien

Reziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpyetblunt View Post
I usually write something and then go through realising then realise i can cut all my sentences in half basically.
Sorry, when I read that I just couldn't resist.

Me, I have the opposite problem... I often don't explain enough. My characters are telepaths, why shouldn't my readers be?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #23
itsaplane
all the feels, ALL OF THEM

itsaplane is on a distinguished road
I'm probably guilty of this. I also tend to be really wordy.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #24
treehugger

treehugger is on a distinguished road
Not exactly what you're asking about, but I have a tendency to overwrite in my first drafts, partly so that I can see the scene more clearly in my head. So I might have a paragraph in which I choreograph every move of my character and every expression that flickers across their face and every thought in their head, and then in the edits later I end up shortening it to a sentence or two. Not the most efficient way of going about things, and it's something I'm trying to work on.

With the sort of examples you posted, I'd probably find some way to make the explanation mean something--explanation is not always bad--and rearrange the sentence a bit. Something like, "The sharp January wind bit into his bare cheeks, and he flipped up the collar of his coat and tucked his chin to his chest." This way the wind is more action-y, you've set the scene a bit more, and you've given the reader a reason for the collar flipping in a more natural way.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:53 AM   #25
ExitTheKing
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ExitTheKing is on a distinguished road
Guilty. Guilty. Guilty. Though I'm just as bad about not explaining enough sometimes.

It's always fun to look back when editing and go, "What? Who cares?" Delete it and on to the next sentence.
ExitTheKing is online now   Reply With Quote