Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Short Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Zach Lancer
practical experience, FTW

Zach Lancer is well-respected
Fastest time you ever clocked a short story draft?

I've been struggling with a novellaish thing that was supposed to be a short story for several weeks now, mostly due to the fact that I didn't have a clear idea of the story when I started. At the rate that I had been going, it was impossible to imagine how someone could finish and submit a short story each and every week, as I hear some of the more prolific writers have done.

To my great surprise however, yesterday I had an idea for a story that went the other way. I sat down to write, and some 3-4 hours later I had a finished first draft of about 2,000 words. How the hell did this happen? So, what are your experiences? What's the fastest time you ever finished a draft?
Zach Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Zach Lancer

Zach Lancer is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypaperlab View Post
i use my draft writing at my free time
Er, me too? I'm pretty sure most writers here write in their free time.
Zach Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My fastest was under 90 minutes, if I remember right. It was only 700 words, but I had one of those 3-second dreams right before waking up. It was the first story I ever got published. I've written other, longer stories in a few hours, and others in a few days, but I've tinkered with other stories for much longer than that. I revise as I go usually, so that slows me down.

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I really don't write in a way that says first draft or final draft, but short stories usually come pretty fast for me, or not at all. Three thousand words usually takes three to five hours from initial idea to final draft. Two of my biggest sales to national magazines took almost exactly four hours from the time I sat down to write until the time I actually submitted the stories. I made right at $250 per hour for those stories. If I could do that all day, every day, I'd be a happy camper.

I once wrote twelve short stories in a four day weekend when the weather kept me pinned inside, and sold eight of them immediately. If it takes me more than a couple of days to write a short story of any length, I can be pretty sure it's not going to be one of my better stories.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
DragonHeart
Oerba Yun Fang

DragonHeart has earned our admirationDragonHeart has earned our admirationDragonHeart has earned our admirationDragonHeart has earned our admiration
Under an hour, including revisions. To be fair it was flash and under 100 words. When it flows, it flows. I did sell both of the flash pieces I wrote this way, so make of that what you will.
DragonHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
VeronicaX

VeronicaX has a spectacular aura
Writing short stories usually don't take me more than a few hours. First draft, that is. Flash fictions usually takes 20-30 minutes. If it takes me longer, I usually end up deleting the whole thing and go onto a new idea. If I find myself wondering where the story will end up, I reckon it's one of these stories that aren't ready to be written.

The way I write is like this: I write whatever words that come to my mind, I don't think much. The moment I start thinking I get way too easily sidetracked by overthinking and it ruins the whole story. When I'm "not allowing" myself to think, it takes much longer time, I lose focus, and the story is usually never as good as the others.

It does take me quite some time to get the story out of my head once it's done though. It's difficult getting started on a new one. I have to work on that
Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
About a day, during an ice storm. One of my shorter shorts, though. But I sold it to EQMM so I weren't complainin'

Eeyore was saying to himself, ďThis writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.Ē A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Shadow_Ferret
Snow? Already?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've had a few stories that went from raw idea to submission in just a few hours.

ďI love words but I donít like strange ones. You donít understand them and they donít understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know Ďem the minute you see Ďem.Ē -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
JustSarah
Go For Apprentice

JustSarah has a spectacular aura
The fastest time I ever finished a draft was about five minutes, for roughly 500 words. However it was also littered with a few grammar and spelling errors as well. The key I guess is knowing what your going to write, and not worrying about it being perfect the first time, though I have a problem with the latter.

Middle Grade
Nymphs Of Winter Fire -- Upper MG Fantasy -- Editing - 20,000/20,000 words
Bailee And The Hatchling Song - Upper MG -- Editing -- 20,000/20,500 words
JustSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Summonere

Summonere is a glorious beacon of lightSummonere is a glorious beacon of light
Fifteen or twenty minutes for a short of about 900 words, handwritten. Revised it once, moving one paragraph. Sold it to an Irish magazine.
Summonere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:12 AM   #11
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

Location: A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
FOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
About an hour for a thousand word flash western parody, about 5 hours for a 9 thousand word piece, and 35 days (about 120-130 hrs) for a 65 thousand word piece.
FOTSGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #12
Nicrsing7
figuring it all out

Nicrsing7 is on a distinguished road
It usually takes me a couple hours to draft stories that are about 2-3K. The trick for me is to write them as close to that moment of inspiration as possible.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:27 AM   #13
ExitTheKing
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ExitTheKing is on a distinguished road
The fastest I normally ever write anything is within a few hours. First draft, of course.
ExitTheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:52 AM   #14
hollis shiloh
love stories about men

hollis shiloh is on a distinguished road
I don't usually time my writing, but I know I've written short stories in one day before. And other times it's taken months.
hollis shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
Evan Henry
Edits things

Evan Henry is on a distinguished road
I wrote a flash piece (really flash -- 5-600 words) in about thirty minutes once. It was awful.

I occasionally tweet

The Unknown - Quasi-epic post-apocalyptic romance. 98,957/80,000 (Done, somehow! On query.)
Evan Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #16
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
~5 hours, for a ~5000 word story, which I've never felt need to revise significantly, other than some simple grammatical clean-up. Of course, it's never found publication anywhere.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #17
Mutive
Blissfully Clueless

Mutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMutive is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think it was maybe...IDK. Under 15 minutes. But it was 500 word flash. Made a few really tiny revisions.

Haven't sold it, though, so not sure I'd recommend the process. (I still find the story amusing, though, so whatever.)
Mutive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #18
phineas12gauge

phineas12gauge is on a distinguished road
30 minutes and 1264 words ... 10 minutes later I put it out into the ether

24 hours after, I got the first rejection.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #19
KTC
Writer at Large and a Cat

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wrote one in 17 minutes for a short story contest deadline. When I was finished writing it, I sent it in. It didn't win, but it made the short list of Top 10 and was published in the anthology. (-:

I blog

I Tweet

"I'll have no truck with plots." ~ Sheldon Cooper
KTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #20
Raphee
In debt to AW

Raphee is a shiny, shiny jewelRaphee is a shiny, shiny jewel
Two hours for 4000 words and it got accepted.
I have been searching for the same surge of inspiration and it's been missing.
Raphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicrsing7 View Post
It usually takes me a couple hours to draft stories that are about 2-3K. The trick for me is to write them as close to that moment of inspiration as possible.
This seems to be the trick for me, as well. If I sit down and start writing when that flash inspiration hits, I not only write the story very fast, I can be pretty sure it's going to sell.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #22
Buffysquirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
No idea. I'm not on a timer. But I think the Flash piece I ended up selling to ASIM didn't take me long to write. Maybe an hour? Less? Who knows?
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #23
James simpson

James simpson is on a distinguished road
My fastest was during an English exam :P I think it was about 60 mins and about 3 pages :P
James simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #24
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMyrealana is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wrote a 750 word flash piece in about half an hour one day. It just came to me. It didn't need much revision either.

As far as a "real" short story - over 1000 words, my fastest first draft was about 3 hours for 4000 words.

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
Donít let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #25
alexshvartsman
Benefactor Member

alexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to beholdalexshvartsman is a splendid one to behold
It's not unusual for me to write flash stories in one sitting (1-2 hours), including several that sold to pro markets with little or no further revision. It generally takes me forever to write longer stories. Except for the one last week:

Wednesday 8:30am - Woke up to a solicitation from an editor to submit to an anthology they're putting together. Had zero stories in inventory that even remotely fit said anthology.
Wednesday: 9am - Sat down to write and began brainstorming. Wrote 1500 words over a few hours.
Thursday: 9am - Wrote another 1000+ words, and sent the story out to beta readers.
Thursday night: Revised based on feedback and submitted.

This is SUPER fast for me. I usually let an idea simmer in my head for days if not weeks before writing it down.
Bibliography: https://sites.google.com/site/alexsh...nbibliography/
alexshvartsman is offline   Reply With Quote