Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Kidlits 2013+2014 Writing Goals

I noticed this in the other thread but thought it deserved a thread of its own. Plus it'll make it easier to find at the end of the year, when we will, yes WILL, bring the thread back and see how you all did.

So, what are your writing goals for 2013?

ETA: Bringing this thread back, like I said I would. Did you achieve your goals?

ETA: We'll use this for 2014 goals, too. Probably 2015 and 2016 as well. But that's getting ahead of ourselves.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts

Last edited by jvc; 01-05-2014 at 12:44 AM.
jvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
JoyMC
practical experience, FTW

JoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admiration
Oh, okay. Here's what I posted on the other thread:

Goals for 2013:

- finish the WIP I'm currently on - drafting, revising, editing, beta-ing, revising, editing, the whole shebang.
- query it
- complete a first draft of something else
- get more interactive on Twitter, although that's so unquantifiable, but still.
- oh, and maybe a reading goal. In 2012, I did the One Hundred Books challenge on the YA forum. I read 108 books! I don't think I want to increase that goal. But maybe just maintain it - 100 books again!
- and I just saw this great article on ways to support new authors, aside from buying the book. My financial situation is such that I simply have to get the vast majority of my books from the library. But I love that this list suggests so many other things. So I think I'll make a goal of leaving more positive reviews when I love a book. (Right now I almost never leave reviews at all.)
Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
Fantasmac
chronically underwhelmed

Fantasmac is on a distinguished road
My Writing Goals for 2013:
1. Finish the novel I've been "editing" before school starts in February
2. Complete the next book that I've been percolating on for the last six months
3. Set up a website (and maybe even pay someone for it!)
4. My big goal for last year, as it has been every year of the last five, was to get an agent. So this year, is hopefully get published (more of a hope than a goal because it isn't really in my control)
5. Get back into writing short stories and maybe submit to lit mags.
Endgame (YA Contemporary) -- planning
塞翁失马焉知非福
君子一眼驷马难追
Fantasmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
sissybaby

sissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthood
My goal for 2013 is to finish - anything!

I want to complete the WIP I've been ignoring for way too long.
I want to revise a trunked novel and change it from YA to MG.
I want to somehow, some way! get one of my PBs to the right agent or publisher.
I managed to succeed at the 2012 Reading Challenge, but I need to be spending more time writing, so I'm going to skip it this year. It was fun, though.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:02 AM   #5
DavidBrett
Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas

DavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admirationDavidBrett has earned our admiration
My goals for 2013:
• Kick ass with Enigma Files on
PitchWars in two weeks.
• Finish revisions of the
aforementioned book in time for
any agents who might ask for fulls.
• Get an agent!!!
• Finish the pen-&-paper draft of
EF 2: CURSED
• Type it up once I'm definitely
sure my laptop is reliable :p
• Work on a few other MG/YA
books I've had plans for. No set
finish time for those. They just
need to be started.
• Read more - both printed books
and beta's works.

Can we sticky this? Y'know, so it's always front and centre, as a gentle reminder...?

Dave

Authors warn me writing children's books is a lot of work - signings, school events, literary festivals, a blog, etc. I always reply "I WANT THAT!"

I don't claim to be a professional (yet). I just try and help others when and where I can.

Follow me @symplesymon
DavidBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #6
Britwriter

Britwriter is well-respected
Here's what I posted on the other thread:

My writing goals for 2013:
  • Get my 35 word and 250 words as full of voice as possible, ready for Pitchwars.
  • Query my top 10 agents with DorkBoy, then reassess according to responses.
  • Get back to my younger age MG WIP and see where it goes.
  • Write my current picture book - right now I just have ideas, and a clear vision of one page.
  • Continue to discover and explore Twitter.
  • Build my website up by updating and adding more of my old articles, and writing some fresh ones.
I agree, a sticky would be great!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #7
ucf612

ucf612 is well-respected
Mine are pretty basic in words but still tough for me.
1. Finish the first draft of the MG novel I'm currently working on.
2. Edit and revise said novel.
3. Towards the end of the year IF (a big if) it is ready, I'll query it. My first to actually be sent out!
4. Work on my other two YA novels when I need a break from my MG. I feel like they need a lot more work to get anywhere near ready for anything. One is a done draft but whew, my first ever so yeah. And my other I'm just stuck.

I was a total slacker when it came to writing in 2012. I really let myself down so I want to do better in 2013. I need a lot more butt in chair time this year. Well, actually my butt sits in the chair a lot, I need the actual words to paper this year!
MG Future WIP - P.R.A.E. - Planning
ucf612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
RuthD
careful...you'll end up in my novel

RuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolnessRuthD leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by sissybaby View Post
My goal for 2013 is to finish - anything!
Ha ha! I can relate to that.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
SheilaJG

SheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthood
I have a hard time setting writing goals. I've never been able to stick to a schedule of so many words a day. But I like to have measurable goals. I'll go with this:

Read 100 books
Revise two of my trunked novels
Write something new

Maybe I will add more later. That list looks a little anemic. I will resolve to set more goals!

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency
Twitter
SheilaJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
MJWare
Kidlit gang, Junior member.

MJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of light
Great goals everyone. I'd like to:
Get Zack & Zoey #2 out by the end of March.
Publish Super Zombie Juice #2 by the end of the year.
Finish and query my YA paranormal that I've been working on for a couple of years.
Sell 20,000 books in 2013
MJWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
heza
New kid, but determined!

heza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudgeheza is better than ice cream with hot fudge
From the other thread (better organized):

• Complete first draft of MG WIP by June.
  • Complete first revision of MG WIP by December.
  • Find a writing buddy/critique partner.
  • Produce an author website.
  • Create a blog.
  • Put something up in SYW.

I think that's enough for me. I'm trying to keep it simple. Theoretically, I should try to get more done, but I'll be happy with myself if I can just accomplish these things. Anything on top will just be awesome sauce.

Untitled <-- Supernatural MG (drafting)
Tobias Tinker <-- Clockpunk MG (on hold)
Freak Town <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)
Huntington House <-- Paranormal YA (on hold)

Last edited by heza; 01-18-2013 at 12:23 AM.
heza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 AM   #12
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There are some briliant goals here. I may just have to think of a few, or one, to post.

1) Read a book.

Hmm, must think of some more.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
Rizdrah
figuring it all out

Rizdrah is on a distinguished road
1. Write something.
2. Finish something.

I've got some neat ideas, but can't seem to get back into the flow at the moment.
Rizdrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:54 AM   #14
Tigerlilly79
Maybe I should see someone . . .

Tigerlilly79 is on a distinguished road
*Read more books
*Publish my YA trilogy that's almost complete
*Write and publish a MG trilogy

FACEBOOK

You are responsible for the talent you have been entrusted with. Go work with it.

Tigerlilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*Finish at least one novel. Revise. Edit. Polish. Query.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #16
playground

playground is a shiny, shiny jewelplayground is a shiny, shiny jewel
Get published.
playground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:31 AM   #17
HatTrick
figuring it all out

HatTrick is on a distinguished road
1. Finish my YA WIP.
2. Get through a first draft (at least) on my MG Fantasy
3. Get an agent/published for one of my PBs.
4. Read 100 MG/YA novels and 200 PBs.
5. I like the idea of leaving positive reviews when I like a book. I sadly haven't been doing that. I would also like to add some book reviews to my blog.
6. Oh yeah, update my blog at least weekly.
HatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

These were our goals at the start of 2013. How did we do?

Old 12-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #19
Butterbean
This boy just ain't right

Butterbean is a shiny, shiny jewelButterbean is a shiny, shiny jewel
Well JVC if I would have been able to get back around here earlier this year I would have had more and better goals, but since I just slipped in at the last minute I guess only have one goal.

1) Get back in the Kid Lit Gang at the Absolute Write Water Cooler site! It's been a long time.

Happy New Year everyone!

The Adventures of Butterbean and the King &
Butterbean and the King, The Tale of the Crown Jewels
Butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:10 AM   #20
Tromboli
Hopelessly Hopeful

Tromboli is a glorious beacon of lightTromboli is a glorious beacon of light
Well, I wasn't hanging around here this time last year as I was focused more on YA but I'll share my overall goals and how they stacked up.

This time last year I was finishing up a YA contemporary and revising a YA fantasy for the gazillionth time, planning to query both. The fantasy first, the contemporary second.

My fantasy had a little interest but not much. Ended up with a few personal rejections that left me realizing it needs a big structural rewrite so I've shelved it since then with the plan to come back to it at some point.

My YA contemporary had more interest and at least one close call but all the agents reading stepped aside when I let them know I had a very interested editor (very well established small press) who wanted an exclusive to work on edits with me. That book is currently in acquisitions so its still up in the air.

My overall goal was to find an agent and if I didnt, prepare to self publish in 2014. I'm still down for self publishing at some point but since I know my fantasy needs big work and my contemporary still has hope of finding a home, thats not a realistic goal anymore. So I didn't technically reach either goal but I'm happy with my progress in 2013 and am hoping 2014 is the year some things start happening.

I also wrote, revised and started querying my MG fantasy. I've got high hopes for it

http://www.StaceyTrombley. com/

MiddleGradeMinded.blogspot.com
Tromboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:28 AM   #21
Laura J
Odessa Quinn

Laura J is well-respected
My goal had been to revise and edit one of my drafts. I dabbled, but didn't get there. I started two new ones and did some writing exercises.

I wrote a scary scene that terrified me. Unfortunately, I was alone in the house at the time and freaked myself out. I couldn't believe I could write something that scary and disturbing. Freaked me out so bad, I deleted it. I don't like horror., but apparently I can think up some pretty messed up stuff. Eeeek. I enjoyed trying out writing that didn't have a purpose for my books. I haven't done that in a while.

This year, I am working on streamlining and organizing my life in general. I am making a schedule and plan for the important things. Especially writing. So my goal is to make a writing plan and stick to it. What I accomplish will vary. I am going to schedule in a time to explore new writing ideas. That way, I don't feel like I am cheating on my revisions.

My plan is to:
-make writing a priority by creating a schedule and sticking to it.
-revise The Faery Thief, then edit, then beta, then query. By summer, I will have it query ready. If it is good enough, I will query to agents.
-finish my first draft of one I have started or a new one, perhaps during Camp NaNoWriMo in April.
-attend a writing conference. I will be going to LeakyCon in Orlando and doing the Lit Track, so that might have to count this year.
-I will do more writing exercises to improve my craft. One per week.
Phew!
Oh, I also want to be a beta reader for someone. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Twitter

The Faery Thief~ MG rewriting, editing and revising

The Charisma Chronicles first draft

The Thread-YA

Last edited by Laura J; 01-01-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Laura J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:29 AM   #22
JoyMC

JoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admiration
Oh, fun! I've done everything on my list, except I didn't track how many books I read, but I feel pretty sure it was around 100 again. I didn't noticeably increase or decrease my reading time, anyway.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #23
SheilaJG

SheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthood
Welcome back, Butterbean!

Tromboli, good luck with the YA contemp, and the MG!

Laura, that's hilarious, about writing a scene so scary you freaked yourself out. I bet it was goooooood!

Thanks for posting this, Jed. Another reminder of how uncommitted I am to my goals. Heavy sigh.

I had three goals, didn't come close to the first one (read 100 books). Started number 2 (revise two trunked novels), but then lost my computer and all that, (excuses, excuses). I did manage to do number 3 (write something new), but I haven't finished it. The end is killing me.

Now to make new goals I can ignore after I write them down. Maybe I should write them on little post-it notes and stick them to my computer so I see them everyday.

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency
Twitter
SheilaJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:36 AM   #24
JustSarah
Go For Apprentice

JustSarah is well-respected
Are we able to use this as the present resolution thread?
Nymphs Of Winter Fire -- Chapter Book Set -- Second Draft
Song Of Lost Youth -- YA Cyberpunk -- Second Draft

Skull-Fairy Dance
Character Illustrations
JustSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:40 AM   #25
lmoses2011

lmoses2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSarah View Post
Are we able to use this as the present resolution thread?

I was wondering the same thing.

I need to get this tattooed to my eyeballs

I blog now!
http://www.lauramoseswrites.blogspot.ca/
lmoses2011 is offline   Reply With Quote