Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy > Urban Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
JustinlDew
Shortest Query Winner.

JustinlDew is on a distinguished road
Urban fantasy average word count?

The urban fantasy I'm currently working on is going to be 100k words, and thats barebones plot, with world building I figure it's going to run roughly 125k words, give or take a thousand.
My question is two fold.
One, is this two high a word count and two what is the average word count for adult urban fantasy?
Groundhog Day Indiana Jones Fantasy: 8000/100000 Steampunk: Editing! Modern Fantasy: Rewriting. Epic Fantasy: Outlined. Urban Fantasy: Trunked.
JustinlDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd say about 80-120K (UF likes to be on the shorter side)
But fantasy allows for longer stories, it's just the limit of vocabulary and keeping the reader on board.
If the story needs it, allow it to be longer or shorter.

Justin, remember, it's still your first draft. Most likely, you'll get to cutting in the next draft.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Liosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSauger View Post
I'd say about 80-120K (UF likes to be on the shorter side)
But fantasy allows for longer stories, it's just the limit of vocabulary and keeping the reader on board.
If the story needs it, allow it to be longer or shorter.

Justin, remember, it's still your first draft. Most likely, you'll get to cutting in the next draft.
^This.
Making Magic Systems
Speculative Fiction Sub-Genre of the Week

Twitter
NaNoWriMo

Goodreads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kricket View Post
Is that all I am to you people?! Just the girl with the whip?!
Liosse de Velishaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
CAMueller
Part-time ninja

CAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCAMueller is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Most UF tend to clock in around 90-100K, but WillSauger is 100 percent correct that the range is as wide as 80-120K, though I have heard agents prefer shorter for UF versus traditional fantasy.

Like the others, I'd suggest not worrying about word count until you've finished and edited (and edited and edited some more) the manuscript. That word count can change drastically from draft to finished product.

Author Site | Review Blog | Facebook | @ChelseaVBC

Latest Write Like a Fighter Post: 5 Reasons We Punch People in the Face (and Alternatives for More Interesting and Accurate Fight Scenes)
CAMueller is offline   Reply With Quote