Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Alouette
bad apple

Alouette is on a distinguished road
Government conspiracy = Dystopian?

Hi all,

So I have this SNI banging around and while it's still subject to change, the central conflict revolves around a conspiracy involving an extremely elite group within the government (if you've seen the X-Files, think the Syndicate). It's also set in the future. Now, while this future society is hardly ideal, it's miles off something like The Hunger Games or other YA dystopias in that the majority of the population live perfectly normal lives and the vast majority of the government aren't out to do much harm.

This powerful group's goals are ultimately against the government as a whole, yet they are, technically, part of the government. I don't think that this would be classed as dystopian by classic definitions but a lot tends to be shoved into this category these days and I'm thinking this might be due to the fact that it's set in a future society and a group within the government is the primary antagonist.

I think of it as (light) sci-fi as it involves behavioural engineering/experiments but I'm still unsure. I know I shouldn't get hung up on genres right now but I'd like to know what direction I'm going in while this is all still fairly flexible because I'd rather steer it away from the dystopian angle if possible. Would this fall into the dystopian sub-genre?

Hope this made some kind of sense!
"It all came rushing at me. One book led to the next. It was a joy. Words weren't dull, words were things that could make your mind hum. If you read them and let yourself feel the magic, you could live without pain, with hope, no matter what happened to you."
- Charles Bukowski, Ham on Rye
Alouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey, just the existence of a government conspiracy doesn't mean it HAS to be a dystopy. Even the cuddly wuddly Federation of Planets had a secret biowarfare division that saw use in the Dominion War.

Even noble governments need secrets.

That's why I'm an anarchist!

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
alleycat
"The best part of waking up . . . "
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What makes this future world dystopian? You may have it in your premise but I don't see it in what you've posted.

I might label it futuristic speculative fiction (even though that's a mouthful); maybe futuristic SF if there is enough SF to it.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
maybegenius
might be a giant

maybegenius is a glorious beacon of lightmaybegenius is a glorious beacon of lightmaybegenius is a glorious beacon of light
Well, it depends less on what it IS and more on where it's LIKELY TO BE MARKETED. And futuristic societies with government conspiracies tend to fall under the dystopian bracket for marketing purposes, even if they're not really. Although now that dystopian is supposedly falling out of favor, I imagine we'll see more books referred to as "sci-fi" instead.

I recently read ADAPTATION, which had a big ol' government conspiracy at its core, but it was modern-day (well, very near future -- year 2015). It's considered science fiction.

Either way, you gave yourself your own answer... too early to be thinking of genre designation yet Ultimately, if they pick it up, they'll decide what to call it. You could always attempt to go for more of a Cory Doctorow thriller angle and you might be able to swing a "futuristic thriller" designation.

My Blog | My Twitter | My Tumblr
maybegenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Liosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds like it could be sci-fi or thriller depending on how you work it, but like maybe said, unless you're ready to ship it off to agents, you have other things you should probably be focusing on.
Making Magic Systems
Speculative Fiction Sub-Genre of the Week

Twitter
NaNoWriMo

Goodreads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kricket View Post
Is that all I am to you people?! Just the girl with the whip?!
Liosse de Velishaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
KSavoie
practical experience, FTW

KSavoie is on a distinguished road
I don't think, from what you've said, it would be considered a dystopian future. But as it was said above, the people above you will decide how to market it and what not, so why worry about the genre now? Especially because it just sits as an idea!

Or check out my Twitter. I say funny stuff sometimes!
Here's my twitter!

YA Fantasy Post-Apocalyptic -- Beta-ing
YA LGBT Contemporary -- Major Revisions
YA Space Opera -- Plotting and Planning
KSavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
breaking_burgundy
Takiran Code Scholar

breaking_burgundy has a spectacular aura
It's really easy to classify anything futuristic as dystopian, considering that "create a new world --> new world needs some kind of government/societal structure --> if the government/societal structure was actually stable and effective, it wouldn't be worth writing about" So now it's easy to take anything set in a "secondary world" and call it a dystopia.

Except that dystopia is more about false utopia and suppression of the individual. Anything else is, well, a story set in a different world.

Blogs are for people who have opinions, right?

I also tweet.
breaking_burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Laer Carroll
Aerospace engineer turned writer

Laer Carroll has a spectacular aura
Governmental bad guys have long been a staple of thriller and adventure books and movies. Ever seen any of the Bourne movies? From a writer's standpoint this makes good sense: a convenient and convincing and endless source of antagonists.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #9
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybegenius View Post
Well, it depends less on what it IS and more on where it's LIKELY TO BE MARKETED. And futuristic societies with government conspiracies tend to fall under the dystopian bracket for marketing purposes, even if they're not really. Although now that dystopian is supposedly falling out of favor, I imagine we'll see more books referred to as "sci-fi" instead.
I completely agree.
wampuscat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #10
Tolstoyce
The glint of light on broken glass

Tolstoyce is on a distinguished road
I also think whether or not the government is the main antagonist plays a role in choosing a genre. And from the sound of it, it's not the whole government, but only a portion of it. A corrupted government doesn't automatically make it dystopian, especially if so many people in your world live comfortably.

Visit my blog, s'il vous plaît?
Follow me on Twitter!

Status of My Novels

The Hollow Between: Complete, editing
The Flames Within: Complete
The Pardoning (Working Title): WIP
Tolstoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:57 AM   #11
Fantasmac
chronically underwhelmed

Fantasmac is on a distinguished road
This doesn't sound like dystopian to me and I would stick with calling it sci-fi when you query. I also feel like dystopian is going the way of paranormal romance, in that agents aren't as eager to see it in their inboxes. I would focus on finishing the book and decide what to label it later.
Fantasmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:03 AM   #12
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If the world hasn't gone to hell yet, it's not technically a dystopia. It sounds like you're fixing to send your world to hell shortly, which, if this is the beginning of a series, might make it dystopian overall, but if the going-to-hell is still in the planning stages? I wouldn't call it that, no.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #13
Alouette
bad apple

Alouette is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda Nightingale View Post
If the world hasn't gone to hell yet, it's not technically a dystopia. It sounds like you're fixing to send your world to hell shortly, which, if this is the beginning of a series, might make it dystopian overall, but if the going-to-hell is still in the planning stages? I wouldn't call it that, no.
Yep, this is pretty much it.

Thanks for all the great replies so far. I know it's not important at this stage but I do find genre classification/marketing within publishing interesting. I guess it does depend to a degree on what is and isn't popular at the time.
"It all came rushing at me. One book led to the next. It was a joy. Words weren't dull, words were things that could make your mind hum. If you read them and let yourself feel the magic, you could live without pain, with hope, no matter what happened to you."
- Charles Bukowski, Ham on Rye
Alouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #14
Kim Fierce
Attack me with everything you have.

Kim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to behold
I think you should just write your story! I wrote a contemporary adventure which is being marketed as romance lol. Eh whatterya gonna do?

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain
The Divide, Book 1: Uprising

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!
The Divide, Book 2: Unity--3-14!!
Strong Arrow's Warpath--4-14!!
Revolt of the Perfectly Free, paperback short story collection--6-14!!
Kim Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote