Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Bri Perkins
Sockpuppet

Bri Perkins is on a distinguished road
Could this be mistaken for suicide?

In my story, I am considering a character falling over a balcony to her death as a possible method of her murder. She was pushed, but is there any possibility her death could be mistaken for a suicide? Like, would there be anything that would determine that she was, indeed pushed.
Bri Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
SomethingOrOther
Evil Pony

Location: Chomping down on the tender hineyflesh of humans. >=)
SomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Two of the threads you just started, this one included, are better suited for the Sandbox:

One or two is fine here, but if you're going to start these threads regularly, you'd be better off there.

Hardonasaurass Rex (Dinosaur Erotica): (272,165/285,000)
Some Dude I'm Kidnapping: (Trunked)
SomethingOrOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
JadeVarden
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

JadeVarden is on a distinguished road
It could be mistaken for suicide, but it depends on how she falls. Say a witness sees her falling and she's facing upward. Nobody launches themself off a balcony back first. The investigators would also be suspicious if she wasn't alone at the time, or if maybe neighbors heard her arguing with someone beforehand. Someone with no history of mental illness who goes flying out of a balcony would be investigated thoroughly.
JadeVarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
quicklime
I make a terrible fluffer

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri Perkins View Post
In my story, I am considering a character falling over a balcony to her death as a possible method of her murder. She was pushed, but is there any possibility her death could be mistaken for a suicide? Like, would there be anything that would determine that she was, indeed pushed.

if she is pushed hard enough or fought there could be bruises, skin under her nails, etc. if not, people do fall to their deaths all the time. YOU control the story, so you can decide which is the case. Or even have something less definitive (girl afraid of heights, who NEVER approaches balcony railings, roller coasters, etc. found dead after fall from rooftop--why would she ever go up on a roof???) to imply she was likely murdered.

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Sarpedon
Banned

Sarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputationSarpedon has a golden reputation
Is she depressed, or have any motivation to commit suicide? Would she have alcohol or drugs in her system?

There are three possibilities, not two. It could be an accidental fall.
Sarpedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is anything out of place in the room beyond the balcony? Is there evidence on the balcony itself of foul play, e.g. loosened screws holding the wrought iron railing in place? Does her body exhibit any wounds that may be construed as defensive? Was there evidence she grabbed something in an effort to save herself? Had she hinted to anyone that she feared for her life?
“What, these?” I reached for the Reese’s Colossal Smoked Oysters.
“Yep, that’s them.”
He took the box from me and shoved it in his pocket.
“Wait a minute,” I said. “You ain’t buying those?”
“Nope.”
“You came here to steal that shit?”
“Same as you, Sammy,” he said.

/my little blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Roxxsmom
Benefactor Member

Roxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If she was pushed with some force, or if there was some kind of struggle, the trajectory of her body (where she went splat below the balcony, to put it bluntly) might differ than if she jumped. But there could still be some question as to whether she swan dived or simply stepped off.

Another issue police might consider would be the state of her clothes, injuries that suggest a struggle ensued prior to the plummet, whether or not the apartment looked like it had been forcibly entered, whether neighbors heard anything etc. Also, her history of depression, drug use and mental illness might be taken into consideration (and her possible associations with anyone nefarious).

I'd say that there would at least be the possibility of suicide, since people do jump of balconies once in a while. How plausible the treatment of the different possibilities are would depend on how you framed it.

My twitter - My FB - My blog
Roxxsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
L.C. Blackwell
Keeper of Fort Blanket

L.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputationL.C. Blackwell has a golden reputation
Sandbox is a possibility. A lot of these kinds of questions end up in Story Research, which is where I'd recommend posting if you have more questions of this sort.

Story Research sub-forum

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them.”

-JRR Tolkien
The Hobbit
L.C. Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
druid12000
You're out of your tree...

Location: The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans...
druid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Did she leave a note?
If there were no drugs and/or alcohol in her system and the investigation, through friend/family interviews, revealed no prior history of mental illness or depression, no note would be a huge give away.
" My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." ~ from 'Joe vs the Volcano'
druid12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
gell214
practical experience, FTW

gell214 is on a distinguished road
Watch CSI and shows like that.

Yup, it could be mistaken as a suicide.
Yup, it can be proven that she was pushed.
How?
- there could be signs of a struggle in her room to indicate a fight
- a neighbor could have heard her screaming or arguing with someone to indicate that she was not a alone during the time of the murder
- the killer could have left some hair, fingerprints, etc.

There are lots of ways, really, to prove that it was a murder. Also, even if the crime scene first looks like a suicide, there will still be an investigation to eliminate all possibilities so the detectives/police/etc. will still be able to see the evidence of murder even if it is first presumed to be a suicide.

The amount of evidence left by the killer is all up to you.

Again, watch CSI.

Le blog (under construction).

Le g+.
Le FaceBook.
Le Twitter.
gell214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
JournoWriter
Just the facts, please

JournoWriter has a spectacular aura
A large part of Michael Connelly's "The Drop" concerns just this plot element. Might be worth checking out.
JournoWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
shaldna
The cake is a lie. But still cake.

shaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshaldna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It depends - I mean, if she fought, or if she was pushed hard enough and violently enough then there's a chance that there will be bruising that will show. But realistically you could have it easily mistaken for suicide - no matter which way up she lands. People can, and do, jump in all manner of ways, it's not always just stepping off a ledge face first.

Yes, I read Twilight. Yes, I hate it. No, I don't have to give you a reason why.

shaldna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
Kallithrix
Bunneh is sleepeh...Zzz...

Kallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri Perkins View Post
I mentioned this in your other thread, but it sounds like Remember Me, by Christopher Pike. I'd suggest you read that.
Kallithrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
Someone else's skin under her fingernails would be a sure sign there was a struggle, if just brief one. Or torn threads, a button, or someone else's blood on her fingers where she scratched someone.

Or, if she were talking on the phone and got pushed - and the pusher didn't see the phone (she was back to, to the pusher) - then her conversation would be cut off with a little sound, a startled cry, then all over. Later the other person might tell the police how abruptly the conversation ended. The police would then think, might be accidental or might be homicide, but probably wasn't suicide.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote