Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
Nyfinscyf
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Nyfinscyf is on a distinguished road
Entrance or Exit

This may seem like a stupid question, but which is the correct term to use in which situation?

Examples:
1) Your main character is in a cave and wants to leave. Character goes to the exit/entrance. (I would say exit as that's the action the character is wanting to do)

2) Your outside and want to enter a cave. You go to the exit/entrance. (Entrance, as you're trying to Enter the cave)

But now, if these situations occur at the same time:
3) Main character is in the cave about to exit but someone is at the exit/entrance of the cave.

Do you take it from the perspective of the character you are currently describing or of the perspective of the main character in the scene?
Nyfinscyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
alleycat
Be afraid . . .
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The commonly used expressions may be different in NZ, but I probably wouldn't use exit at all for a cave (or egress). Maybe opening or mouth of the cave. I'm not sure.

Last edited by alleycat; 01-02-2013 at 12:32 PM.
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Nyfinscyf

What about a House or an Underground Prison? There's a door separating the two areas.
Is this a situation that is best to not directly use "exit" or "entrance"?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
alleycat
Be afraid . . .
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Entrance is fine for either a cave or underground prison, I think. The entrance to the cave, or the entrance to the bunker, etc.

I might very well use exit for something man made in the right circumstance. The reason I said I probably wouldn't use exit for a cave is because it sounds odd if it's part of the narrative (which is what I think you were asking) from whichever POV (Bob was at the exit of the cave, He was at the exit of the cave, I saw him at the exit of the cave, I was at the exit of the cave). However, I can see someone saying something like "We've got to find an exit out of here" if they were in a cave.

I think we're going to need more information before we can help with your POV question.

Last edited by alleycat; 01-02-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Nyfinscyf

Your description has helped. When I asked it was more hypothetical because I started thinking about different locations and point of views.

I have my two characters escaping a underground prison. When they get to the only door in or out of the place they find guards. I started thinking of what each person would "see" the doorway as, which then spawned my question.
As for my situation though, I've gone for a "they're blocking the way out" solution.
I figured changing POVs is not a good thing, so exit/entrance doesn't really conflict.

Thanks for the help alleycat.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
alleycat
Be afraid . . .
SuperModerator

I just didn't know whether you were using first-person or third, and what viewpoint you were using, so I didn't try to answer that part of your question.

Remember too that things can be done differently depending on whether it's narrative or dialogue.

And sometimes the choice of words just depends on what sounds more natural. Bob searched to find the exit to the cave sounds okay to me, while Bob was at the exit of the cave doesn't sound as natural to me.

But, it's 3:30 in the morning where I am--I might not be completely awake at the moment.

Last edited by alleycat; 01-02-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Nyfinscyf

What you say makes sense. It's not your tiredness don't worry
If it sounds more natural and makes sense it's probably right.

And I'm writing in third person.
I think my question has been answered anyways.
Still quite interesting to think that one thing has many different names depending on perspective.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The POV character would see what he sees. A gate is a gate - a door is a door - an exit is an exit - an entrance is an entrance. Perspective doesn't change meaning.

It's context that determines what image the reader gets.

Aim for clarity so the reader knows what is going on.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
BethS
writer, rider, reader...ex-pat!

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinscyf View Post
This may seem like a stupid question, but which is the correct term to use in which situation?

Examples:
1) Your main character is in a cave and wants to leave. Character goes to the exit/entrance. (I would say exit as that's the action the character is wanting to do)

2) Your outside and want to enter a cave. You go to the exit/entrance. (Entrance, as you're trying to Enter the cave)

But now, if these situations occur at the same time:
3) Main character is in the cave about to exit but someone is at the exit/entrance of the cave.

Do you take it from the perspective of the character you are currently describing or of the perspective of the main character in the scene?
It seems like you're making this unnecessarily complicated. How about the person arriving enters the cave, and the person leaving leaves the cave?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Roxxsmom
Benefactor Member

Roxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoxxsmom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cave mouth? Cave entrance?

The horizontal opening to a mine is called an adit, but I'm not sure the term would apply to a cave. May want to look up some spelunking terms too.

My twitter - My FB - My blog
Roxxsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudge
How about not using entrance or exit?
Cave openeing.
Cave mouth.

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
Donít let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #12
Orianna2000
Freelance Writer

Orianna2000 is a splendid one to beholdOrianna2000 is a splendid one to beholdOrianna2000 is a splendid one to behold
If something doesn't sound quite right, or you're not sure of the proper term, try rewriting the scene and see if you can find a different way of saying it. This is a good writing exercise anyway (it teaches you flexibility), but it comes in handy when you're stumped with a particular scene.
Orianna2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 AM   #13
shadowwalker
empty-nester!

shadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthood
I've always considered the main "door" to be the entrance, even if one may exit through it. After all, you can't exit until you enter. An exit, on the other hand, would be a separate way to leave. (As to a cave, I've never heard 'exit' used, only entrance.)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #14
Geoff Mehl
practical experience, FTW

Geoff Mehl is on a distinguished road
I'd vote for "mouth of the cave" but I understand geologists zone caves into entrance, twilight and dark zones.
Geoff Mehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:16 AM   #15
Sentosa
In Time-Out For My Sins

Sentosa is a shiny, shiny jewelSentosa is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufty View Post
The POV character would see what he sees. A gate is a gate - a door is a door - an exit is an exit - an entrance is an entrance. Perspective doesn't change meaning.

It's context that determines what image the reader gets.

Aim for clarity so the reader knows what is going on.
Excellent points.

If the OP has problems with nouns in these circumstances, does a switch to a verb help?
Sentosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 AM   #16
guttersquid
Riding the crest of a slump.

guttersquid is a glorious beacon of lightguttersquid is a glorious beacon of lightguttersquid is a glorious beacon of light
Laurie was fifty feet inside the cave when she noticed Bill wasn't with her. She looked back toward the entrance and saw him standing there.

That sounds natural and right to me. It seems weird to think of a cave opening as anything but an entrance, no matter which side of it you're on.
guttersquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:20 AM   #17
Anna Spargo-Ryan
Just pokin' about

Anna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to beholdAnna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to beholdAnna Spargo-Ryan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by guttersquid View Post
Laurie was fifty feet inside the cave when she noticed Bill wasn't with her. She looked back toward the entrance and saw him standing there.

That sounds natural and right to me. It seems weird to think of a cave opening as anything but an entrance, no matter which side of it you're on.
I agree with this.

I don't think I use 'exit' to describe a passageway unless it's actually labelled as an exit.

The idea of someone returning to the entrance in order to leave seems logical to me, unless there is one set way in and one set way out, as in a maze or a supermarket.

Twitter | Blog
Anna Spargo-Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:11 AM   #18
Chasing the Horizon
Creepy Centipede

Chasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthoodChasing the Horizon is a candidate for sainthood
Totally thought I was in the erotica section when I saw the title to this thread . . .

*leaves*
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #19
saizine
follow your bliss

saizine is on a distinguished road
Again, I'd say that this is a bit of a superfluous concern. As its a cave, I wouldn't worry about whether or not it's an entrance or an exit because, really, it's both! I'd just stick to referring to it as the mouth of the cave or the entrance. Like annaspargoryan says, unless something is distinctly an exit (i.e. in a maze) it's both an entrance and an exit and while either is correct, I'd stick with entrance.
saizine is offline   Reply With Quote