Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
youtube won't play?

Okay, so I think this is a problem with the fact that I installed Windows 8 recently, but I can't play youtube videos anymore.

I installed Adobe Flash Player, and then got a message that it was outdated, and I installed an update. Not sure if the update went through, but I think it did...

Checked on youtube, and couldn't see a link to download whatever you need to play videos on their site.

Help?

A link to a safe download would be perfect right about now. Thanks in advance!
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #2
alleycat
Gobble gobble
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It probably is your player, but just to be sure: you don't have any script blocking software running do you (such as NoScript)?

For any downloads you need go to the Adobe website.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #3
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post
Okay, so I think this is a problem with the fact that I installed Windows 8 recently, but I can't play youtube videos anymore.

I installed Adobe Flash Player, and then got a message that it was outdated, and I installed an update. Not sure if the update went through, but I think it did...

Checked on youtube, and couldn't see a link to download whatever you need to play videos on their site.

Help?
What browser are you using?

Do you know if the videos you're trying to watch are presented in HTML5 or Flash?

(Do NO videos work at all, or only some of them?)

Try using Chrome, which has its own version of Flash built into the browser.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
It probably is your player, but just to be sure: you don't have any script blocking software running do you (such as NoScript)?

For any downloads you need go to the Adobe website.
How do I check for script blockers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
What browser are you using?

Do you know if the videos you're trying to watch are presented in HTML5 or Flash?

(Do NO videos work at all, or only some of them?)

Try using Chrome, which has its own version of Flash built into the browser.
I'm using the latest Firefox, I think. Definitely Firefox, not sure if it's the latest.

No idea about HTML5 vs. Flash.

One video started to work, but crapped out. The rest just plain wouldn't work - even ones I had watched many times before on XP.

I may try Chrome... That's the Google browser isn't it?

ETA: The one that tried to work was the 2012 Flashback thing.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
onesecondglance
pretending to be awake

onesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsonesecondglance is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
CliffFace, I found the same thing recently with my wife's Macbook - for some reason Flash Player had either uninstalled itself or a recent update had uninstalled it. Downloading Flash again sorted the problem. What was confusing was that, even without Flash, I would have expected to see links to play the HTML5 version of the video, but there weren't any.

I seem to recall something about the Metro version of IE10 (the one you launch from the Start Screen and has the better interface for touchscreens) not supporting Adobe Flash, or any plugins for that matter, but having its own native Flash-interpreter or something. I don't know if this is related?

I write music. | I gave in and joined twitter. | And I have a blog too.
onesecondglance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
Cliff Face

Might have to retry Adobe Flash later... I got sidetracked with writerly things yesterday.

As for Metro IE10 - I honestly would have no idea. I don't use the stuff on the Start page of Win8.

But thanks for letting me know it's happened to others as well (and a possible solution).
Old 01-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #7
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This has a couple of more ideas, too, depending on whether you are going to stick with Firefox or not.

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/940323

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #8
Cliff Face

Thanks bsb.

I'm going to try reinstalling Adobe Flash first, when I get a chance. It's not a huge priority right now - I only go on youtube occasionally, and I don't need it for writing.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #9
Cliff Face

Reinstalling Adobe Flash did the trick.

Actually, what did the trick was the following:

Download Flash, install it, go on youtube. Youtube tells me I need a plugin, it downloads Flash again, installs, then the videos start to work again.

(I uninstalled Flash before doing any of this, mind.)

So yeah... Not sure why I had to download it twice, but youtube is now working again. Hooray!
Old 01-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
kenebaker
Master of Meh!

kenebaker is on a distinguished road
Hey, you can also make sure you have the latest version of Firefox installed. Click on Firefox (top left), then Help, and then click on About Firefox. You should see it saying 'checking for updates'. It will tell you if its up to date or not.

I would recommend installing Google Chrome. It's a great browser (better and faster than Firefox in my opinion) but you can also use it to see if Youtube works on it. If it does, then you will know that the issue is browser specific and Firefox is the issue.

Windows 8 shouldn't have any issues with this. I have Win 8 and I use both Firefox and Chrome. The latter is my default though.

Try the solutions and let us know if it helps.
kenebaker is offline   Reply With Quote