Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Self-Publishing: Print, Digital, Papyrus or Clay
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
pinkrobot
I poke badgers with spoons

pinkrobot is on a distinguished road
Need clarification on self-publishing blog content

I'm working on a book that I'd like to self-publish, and I'd really like to include some of the content I've posted on my personal blog over the years. I know you can't try to get published by an agency using content you've published online, but can I use it if I'm self-publishing?
pinkrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Captcha
Hmmm... I think I disagree.

Captcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudge
If it's your content, it's yours - do what you want to with it!

But remember the old "won't buy the cow if they can get the milk for free," idea. You might want to take down the blog content if it's a significant part of your book.
Captcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
pinkrobot
I poke badgers with spoons

pinkrobot is on a distinguished road
Absolutely. I've held off on publishing some things on my blog that I planned on including in my book!
pinkrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkrobot View Post
I'm working on a book that I'd like to self-publish, and I'd really like to include some of the content I've posted on my personal blog over the years. I know you can't try to get published by an agency using content you've published online, but can I use it if I'm self-publishing?
My bold.

Agents don't publish books: they work for authors and help them find publishers for their books.

Trade publishers do publish books which started off as blogs: it's similar to publishing books compiled from newspaper articles. Consider Ben Goldacre's Bad Science, which started off as articles for the Guardian and for Mr Goldacre's very popular blog of the same name. The important part is that your writing is good.

If you still want to self publish then you have no problems. You own the copyright to all your own work: you can do what you like with it.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
valeriec80
Got the hang of it, here

valeriec80 is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captcha View Post
But remember the old "won't buy the cow if they can get the milk for free," idea. You might want to take down the blog content if it's a significant part of your book.
I have nine books available free on the internet. Six of them are my very best sellers.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Another example of someone who published a novel online that was later picked up by a publisher is John Scalzi. He had a recent post about it, for the 10th anniversary of getting the offer on Old Man's War.

The caveat is that this method of getting a publishing contract is far more rare than the submitting to agent/publisher route. And as Old Hack points out, the writing has to be *really really good*.

OUT NOW! Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
amergina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
Captcha
Hmmm... I think I disagree.

Captcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudgeCaptcha is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeriec80 View Post
I have nine books available free on the internet. Six of them are my very best sellers.
Do you have a theory about why that is? It seems strange that people would buy something they could get for free...
Captcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #8
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Valerie, do you include your free downloads towards the numbers your best-sellers shift? If so, might that explain why they're your best sellers?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
Laer Carroll
Aerospace engineer turned writer

Laer Carroll has a spectacular auraLaer Carroll has a spectacular aura
I put the first few chapters of any book on my web site. I try to make them good enough to be enjoyed by very critical readers, but they ARE drafts and I expect to get some negative comments. Sometimes they are very helpful and I re-write the draft.

Then when the book goes on sale I'll take down all but the first few chapters and link to where the book can be bought. They are never more than the first third of the draft. Too much work to put up more, and MAY take away from sales.

As for putting up entire free books. They can take away from sales of the books. But at least as often people will go ahead and buy the book anyway. There are several reasons. One is that some books bear reading over and over again; it's handy have them already. For others it's because to them hard copies have several advantages over ebook copies.

There's another reason for putting up free books. They act as advertising for all the other books from a writer. Especially if the free book is the first of a series.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laer Carroll View Post
There's another reason for putting up free books. They act as advertising for all the other books from a writer. Especially if the free book is the first of a series.
My bold.

I've seen this work really well in promoting a series; but it can work against you if that first book opens with too much scene-setting, for example.