Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
msd
figuring it all out

msd is on a distinguished road
Another brand name question (Scotch)

One of my characters is an alcoholic. If I say his preferred drink is Scotch, can I get into trouble?

Is Scotch a brand name?

Wolfgang Riebe

Please forgive any spelling errors; English is not my first language.
msd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Scotch is not a brand name: scotch, bourbon, rye, rum, schnapps, vodka, tequila, gin, vermouth, wine, etc. are types of alcohol.

More here.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."
Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Scotch is not a brand name. It's a type of whiskey produced by many distilleries in Scotland.

caw
Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nope. Just make sure you write Scotch, and not Scottish, because if you write Scottish, we'll all point and laugh.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #5
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You might also wish to research the prices of different brands, to reflect the standard of living of your character. (And perhaps to reflect how far he falls during the course of the story.)

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."
Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #6
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
You might also wish to research the prices of different brands,
You may want to do some objective laboratory research as well.

caw
Old 01-01-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
alleycat
"Of all the gin joints . . . "
AW Moderator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
Scotch is not a brand name: scotch, bourbon, rye, rum, schnapps, vodka, tequila, gin, vermouth, wine, etc. are types of alcohol.
You forgot our fine Tennessee whiskey!

At least legally.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:28 AM   #8
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Any time you need a sippin' partner, Alleycat, I love Tennessee whiskey.
Maryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:35 AM   #9
alleycat
"Of all the gin joints . . . "
AW Moderator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
Any time you need a sippin' partner, Alleycat, I love Tennessee whiskey.
We have some new brands coming soon.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 AM   #10
Haggis
No longer green
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you're Scottish, it's whisky.

It's also normally 86 proof and delicious.

As long as its not the cheap stuff.
Miss Angel Chihuahua

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #11
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Love this thread.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:37 AM   #12
Chase
. . . the blue marble

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My wonderful step-grandfather, Jesse Duncan, was Scottish. He was a generous man who loved to tell frugal Scot jokes on himself.

I grew up thinking Scotch brand tape was a joke name for the cheap, see-through, mending tape.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #13
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I had to research Scotch for my Fantasy gambling novel, as the protag's father fancies himself a bit of an expert. Unfortunately, the research was strictly online. I hate the stuff!
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:29 AM   #14
Haggis
No longer green
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffysquirrel View Post
I had to research Scotch for my Fantasy gambling novel, as the protag's father fancies himself a bit of an expert. Unfortunately, the research was strictly online. I hate the stuff!
If you were forced to buy samples to help with the research, I'd be happy to take them off your hands. Or paws.
Miss Angel Chihuahua

Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #15
codeorange
Some of my friends are fictional.

codeorange is on a distinguished road
Nothing like a Chevis and soda after a hard day at work.

Run with the Orange
The blog filled with zest and good taste.

http://runwiththeorange.wordpress.com/

Twitter https://twitter.com/JustClancy
codeorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
dangerousbill
Retired Illuminatus

dangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by msd View Post
One of my characters is an alcoholic. If I say his preferred drink is Scotch, can I get into trouble?

Is Scotch a brand name?
No, and it's spelled lower case, scotch.

'Lessons at the Edge' - College student and his mother's best friend share an apartment. CAUTION: Explicit, 18+ http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Edge-P...ns+at+the+edge
Reviewed 'two thumbs up' at Erotica Revealed.
dangerousbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #17
Sunflowerrei
practical experience, FTW

Sunflowerrei has a spectacular auraSunflowerrei has a spectacular aura
If it's Scottish, it's whisky. If it's Irish, it's whiskey. If you're my father, it's Black Bush Mills.

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles

Twitter

Goodreads
Sunflowerrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousbill View Post
No, and it's spelled lower case, scotch.
No, no it's not.

A dictionary is your friend.

Single Malt Whisky produced in Scotland.

Scotch is whisky produced in Scotland; it is, therefore a proper noun, and as a proper noun, it deserves the dignity of upper case.

s.v. AHD, OED, CDEL

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If he's an alcoholic I doubt he cares how you spell it, and his preferred choice will alter as the cabinet gets emptier.

Happy New Ye.......
Old 01-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #20
Haggis
No longer green
SuperModerator

Spell it L.A.G.A.V.U.L.I.N. and I'll drink all of it you don't want to deal with.
Miss Angel Chihuahua

Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #21
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Spell it L.A.G.A.V.U.L.I.N. and I'll drink all of it you don't want to deal with.
Yup. Also T.A.L.I.S.K.E.R or L.A.P.H.R.O.A.I.G.

Which actually brings up a thread-pertinent observation: I don't think an alcoholic would be likely to choose these expensive single-malt whiskies to feed the addiction. They are strongly-flavored beverages seldom quaffed in huge amounts, but rather sipped and lingered over. Then again, maybe you have a really wealthy connoisseur alcoholic for a character.

But whatever favorite liquor you choose will reflect on your character, to some extent. Most alcoholics I've encountered prefer to feed their habit with gin or vodka, usually of cheap varieties. If whiskey is a choice, it tends to be cheap bourbon, the overriding principle being quantity defeats quality.

caw
Old 01-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #22
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
They are strongly-flavored beverages seldom quaffed in huge amounts, but rather sipped and lingered over.
Yes. Too much research into Scotch means I now cringe when people drink it neat on tv.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #23
Springs2
space opera-popcorn lover!

Springs2 is well-respected
yep, Ulster preference is for Bushmills, or Black Bush, which is the swankier version. Irish preference is powers, plus some other varieties\\
Scottish is for scotch, and there are loads of breweries, so if they're from a particular area of Scotland, it might be worth doing a wee bit of research on the local types, as it's often a little parochial. EG in Aberdeen, Fettercairn (check the spelling, I might be wrong) is popular and local. If they're a afficiando they will probably have one or other type that they stick to.
And me, being a good Ulster girl, has a very soft spot for... Jack Daniels, straight. (And Bush in a hot toddy. )
Springs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #24
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by msd View Post
You can get into trouble if: said characters income level isn't one that would allow him to be an alcoholic with a preference toward scotch. A bottle of so-called 'passable' scotch starts at fifty some dollars (US) and gets more and more expensive* - and that's retail. Bar prices would be outrageous.

*example: Haggis's beloved Laphroaig 18 lists here at 69.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeorange View Post
Nothing like a Chevis and soda after a hard day at work.
*winces, and runs screaming from thread*
Originally Posted by Duchessmary View Post
Wtf. Happens every time I come in here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #25
JayMan
Like Burt Reynolds in Gator

JayMan is a shiny, shiny jewelJayMan is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAssauer View Post
A bottle of so-called 'passable' scotch starts at fifty some dollars (US) and gets more and more expensive* - and that's retail.
You mean Johnny Walker Red isn't considered passable ?
JayMan is offline   Reply With Quote