Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Converting Home DVDs on Mac

OK, here's the problem:

I had my old VHS home movies (mostly of my kids when they were small) converted to DVD. I now want to convert these yet again so I can edit, create clips etc, on my MacBook, perhaps on iMovie.

I searched on the Apple SUpport Forums and it seemed that HandBrake would do the trick, so I downloaded and installed it, slipped one of the DVD's into the drive and followed the instructions. Unfortunately, what I got was the following
error message:
Quote:
HandBrake could not find a compatible version of libdvdcss (32-bit libdvdcss is not compatible with 64-bit HandBrake and vice-versa).
Followed by an option to download and install said software. When I tried doing that, I got another error message:
Quote:
“libdvdcss.2.dylib” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
and that MacOS would not allow the download.

What now? Has anyone here done this before? Do you know an easy way to do it, easy enough for a tech idiot who does not understand the jargon?

Thanks in advance!

Facebook

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi
aruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
ereadergold
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ereadergold is on a distinguished road
Hi Aruna

Can't say I've had the need to do this myself but I did see this application that claims to be able to do it - http://www.leawo.com/dvd-ripper-mac/.

It's not a free program but it's pretty inexpensive and has a free trial so you could see if it is of use to you.

Hope it's of some help to you.

Bill
ereadergold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:50 AM   #3
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You might try to download the 32-bit version of Handbrake. It sounds like you got the 64-bit version.

Also, I think you need to have VLC installed to rip DVDs with Handbrake, if I remember correctly.

Try downloading VLC. Get the version that matches whichever bitness your copy of Handbrake is.

(Check Handbrake->About to see whether you have 32-bit or 64-bit Handbrake, and download the matching copy of VLC.)