Happy Hanukkah!

Happy Hanukkah!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
GabrielNovo
Cuban Nomad

GabrielNovo is on a distinguished road
Just watched "Dreams with Sharp Teeth" and am looking for recommendations

I hate to admit this, but I was previously unaware of the scope of Harlan Ellison's writing. I knew him more as a cantankerous personality. After watching his documentary "Dreams with Sharp Teeth", I became fascinated by the man.

Since I'm new to his work, what would be a good book to start with? There are so many compilations of his stories that I'm not sure what's considered his top stuff or starting material for the new reader.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Follow me on Twitter

Member since 2011
GabrielNovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I actually think his short stories are the best place to start. See if you can find an anthology of them in your local library. I don't usually go for short stories over novels, but wow, some of his are just riveting.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
GabrielNovo
Cuban Nomad

JJ, that's the problem, he has SEVERAL compilations of short stories and I'm not sure where to start.
Follow me on Twitter

Member since 2011
Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Find something that has "I Have No Voice and I Must Scream" and don't worry about it. He doesn't write very much that's bad.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:23 AM   #5
Blarg
Banned

Blarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputationBlarg has a double-platinum reputation
I'm also a big fan of "Like the Whimper of Whipped Dogs." He's done so many things, including good TV work in the old series like The Outer Limits and The New Twilight Zone and Star Trek. Great to get those episodes on hard disc and listen to commentaries, if possible.

I lost a wonderful book in a move that I sure wish I still had, because people are charging a lot for it these days. No idea why it went out of print, because it was pretty much perfect for what it did: The Essential Ellison. A big fat book full of stories from all phases of his career. Huge book, really. If you ever see it going for cheap, snap it up. Ridiculous that it was only available for a few years and then vanished from the marketplace.
Blarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:10 AM   #6
GabrielNovo
Cuban Nomad

I ended up clearing out a used bookstore of all their Ellison. And one out of print Lustbader.

Follow me on Twitter

Member since 2011
Old 02-28-2014, 02:24 AM   #7
Marian Perera
starting over

Marian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdebenedictis View Post
Find something that has "I Have No Voice and I Must Scream"
Seconding that one.

I tried "The Deathbird" but that didn't work for me. "I Have No Mouth..." is great, though.

Twitter
Marian Perera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #8
CheG
practical experience, FTW

CheG has a spectacular auraCheG has a spectacular aura
See if you can find "Angry Candy" as I recall several of the shorts in there were made into Twilight Zone episodes. The 1980's Twilight Zone... Anyway I just remember being moved to tears by several stories.

Website
Gallery
Facebook
Carmine Rojas available now
Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight is---'An explosive mix of gangsters, guns, monsters, magic and mayhem, with dark and gritty action that right-hooks you from page one. Wonderful!' --- Suzanne McLeod, author of the Spellcrackers urban fantasy series.
CheG is offline   Reply With Quote