Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #1
satyesu
practical experience, FTW

satyesu is on a distinguished road
Making interesting characters

I tried searching for this and found nothing relevant. Do you have any tips on the subject?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Characters need to do stuff. Have them do interesting stuff.

caw
Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Sunflowerrei

Sunflowerrei has a spectacular aura
You have to give your characters a personality, idiosyncrasies, interests and habits. What makes people interesting to you? Think about that.

Blog: The Sunflower's Scribbles

Twitter

Goodreads
Sunflowerrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
DanielaTorre
Widely Regarded as a Bad Move

DanielaTorre is a splendid one to beholdDanielaTorre is a splendid one to beholdDanielaTorre is a splendid one to behold
Honestly, this question is very, very broad. My only response to it is: what would YOU find interesting in a character? When you figure that out, you will have answered your own question.
DanielaTorre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't base characters on real people, but I do take things real people say and do and amp it up a notch in a way that fits that character. Perhaps characters are parodies, even if they aren't so much funny as tools for what I want to accomplish with the scene and the story.

Resingled Querying!
Nyasaland Off to betas. PM me if you'd like to help a guy out.
WIP: WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 41,000 words.

Write on, Brother! (blog)
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
KSavoie

KSavoie is on a distinguished road
Holly Lisle has a good character creation workshop for free. Just start there and invent from there! =]

http://hollylisle.com/the-character-...igning-a-life/

Or check out my Twitter. I say funny stuff sometimes!
Here's my twitter!

YA Fantasy Post-Apocalyptic -- In Revision
YA LGBT Contemporary -- Stewing
YA Space Opera -- Plotting and Planning
KSavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
sunandshadow
Impractical Fantasy Animal

sunandshadow leaves trails of profuse coolnesssunandshadow leaves trails of profuse coolnesssunandshadow leaves trails of profuse coolnesssunandshadow leaves trails of profuse coolnesssunandshadow leaves trails of profuse coolness
Analyze why some characters are really interesting to you as a reader/viewer.
sunandshadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Making interesting characters
I tried searching for this and found nothing relevant. Do you have any tips on the subject?
Yep, that's a broad question. . .

What the heck. You're at a party. You don't know anybody so you walk over to the nearest two guys. You say to the first guy, "Hi." He nods, takes a sip of his scotch. You say, "My name is satyesu." He says, "Oh. Hello."

You turn to the second guy. "Hi," you say. He says, "My buddy here's about as interesting as a dead librarian, no offense, buddy." He punches the guy in the arm and the guy's scotch sloshes out, spilling on his jacket. "Oops," he says, smiling broadly, revealing a set of gold teeth. He sees you looking and says, "You're looking at my retirement plan. What do you think about that?" and he punches you in the arm. Hard. But he's smiling and you can't help yourself, you rub your arm and smile right back.

Who's more interesting? The interesting character does unexpected things. He's got a unique personality. Quirks that set him apart from the unwashed masses. He makes an impression. You might like him or you might hate him, but you won't forget him anytime soon.
/my little blog/

Last edited by kkbe; 12-28-2012 at 03:39 PM.
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not only is it broad, it's also very personal. One person that kkbe might find dreadfully boring could be someone I find fascinating.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
SomethingOrOther
_

SomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbe View Post
Who's more interesting?
Trick question: The first guy, who's secretly a dinosaur.

Baby Pictures of Famous Dictators: (571,056/780,000)
Invasion of the Complaining Chickens (Geriatric Fiction): (1,124,641/1,520,000)
Hardonasaurass Rex (Dinosaur Erotica): (215,919/285,000)
Some Dude I'm Kidnapping: (Trunked)
SomethingOrOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
bearilou: One person that kkbe might find dreadfully boring could be someone I find fascinating.
Quote:
SomethingOrOther: Who's more interesting?
Trick question: The first guy, who's secretly a dinosaur.
See how creative writers are? All it takes to make a character interesting is a little imagination, satyesu.

And a couple of stiff scotches.

Prefaced by a couple of stiff scotches.

/my little blog/
Old 12-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
Kallithrix
Bunneh is sleepeh...Zzz...

Kallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkbe View Post
Who's more interesting?
The first guy, who is in fact a dead librarian, recently reanimated but now only speaks in dewey decimal code.

Kallithrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
kkbe
Huh.

. . ."speaks" being a relative term, as he actually communicates via a series of rapid blinks followed by extravagantly choreographed hand gestures.
/my little blog/
Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #14
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Characters are made interesting by what they do, and how they do it. So, a timid partygoer can be made interesting by how he/she expresses that timidity.

So have that first guy in kkbe's example respond with that sterile "Hello," but then have him move his hand to the revolver tucked into the back of his pants. Suddenly that boring, timid character becomes interesting to the reader.
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category
NeuroFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
SomethingOrOther
_

SomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume some random guy at a party has a revolver tucked in the back of his pants.

Revolvers are old-fashioned; he probably just has a regular pistol.

Baby Pictures of Famous Dictators: (571,056/780,000)
Invasion of the Complaining Chickens (Geriatric Fiction): (1,124,641/1,520,000)
Hardonasaurass Rex (Dinosaur Erotica): (215,919/285,000)
Some Dude I'm Kidnapping: (Trunked)
SomethingOrOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #16
kkbe
Huh.

. . .unless your story is a retro-steampunk thingie set in the Wild West, circa mid-1800s.
/my little blog/
Old 12-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
...and even more interesting if it is a contemporary story AND it is a revolver. Remember that interest can be generated in the same way humor can be generated--by having something unexpected happen.

But you may want to check out the (currently available) Smith & Wesson model 29, and the Smith & Wesson model 10. Revolvers. Better yet, do a google search of "Smith & Wesson revolvers." The list of models is long.
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category

Last edited by NeuroFizz; 12-28-2012 at 07:14 PM.
NeuroFizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
bearilou
DenturePunk writer

bearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbearilou is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingOrOther View Post
I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume some random guy at a party has a revolver tucked in the back of his pants.
I dunno...seems par for the course in a lot of parties I go to.
The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
write like your face is on fire.
I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
My sort-of-not-really blog.

AW's Erotic Underground Anthology is here!
bearilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for President
There are many character sheets for fiction that you can download from the internet. They might be as simple as listing the character's traits and motivation/goal or as complicated as filling out a detailed questionnaire from the POV of the character.
wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #20
guttersquid
Riding the crest of a slump.

guttersquid is a shiny, shiny jewelguttersquid is a shiny, shiny jewel
Sometimes a character doesn't have to be interesting at all. Consider the "fish out of water" scenario.
guttersquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #21
satyesu

satyesu is on a distinguished road
Thanks, guys 'n' gals. ^^
Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #22
frankiebrown
Simplify.

frankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admirationfrankiebrown has earned our admiration
Hrm, I made a blog post a little bit ago on some things I learned from Stephen King's On Writing. Among them was,

"Every supporting character deserves an arc. Because in real life, we all think we're the protagonists, even if we're the quiet kid who spends lunches in the library. Want a short-cut to create compelling, multidimensional characters? This is it.
You don't have to show every single character's arc in your story. As a matter of fact, if they're not relevant to your plot, you probably shouldn't show them. But I think, as the writer, you should know them."
Debut novel: UNTIL WE END Bloomsbury Spark, Dec '13. Represented by JL Stermer.
frankiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #23
BethS
writer, rider, reader

BethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBethS is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by satyesu View Post
Give them really interesting conflicts.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #24
rwm4768

rwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputationrwm4768 has a golden reputation
What are your favorite characters from other books? What makes them so interesting? Take that and apply it to your work. Don't copy them obviously, but create characters that make you feel the same way.

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 175K Revising
The Battle Stone (Upper MG Fantasy): 70K Revising
Lightweaver (Epic Fantasy): 35,000/120,000
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #25
JHUK

JHUK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by satyesu View Post
I'm not certain this is a serious question. How can you say you found nothing relevant? Try typing "character development in fiction" in a search engine like Google and you'll get LOTS of tips and relevant information.

my blog: Writing Alchemy

JHUK is offline   Reply With Quote