Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
meowzbark
practical experience, FTW

meowzbark is a shiny, shiny jewelmeowzbark is a shiny, shiny jewel
1st person present/3rd person limited past POVs in one novel

In my WIP, I have two POV characters. POV1 ends up "possessing" POV2's body. When POV1 possesses POV2's body, she receives POV2's memories...and so POV2 is written in the past, while POV1 happens in the present. But because I arrange the story chronologically, the POV switches happen prior to the body merging, though POV1 doesn't "know" POV2 until the merge.

It feels natural for me to write POV1 as first person present and I'm not sure how feasible it is to write her POV as third when she does "switch" bodies with multiple existing characters. POV2 I currently have as third person limited. Both POVs are needed to tell the story properly.

Should I rewrite one of the POVs to make the book either entirely present tense or past tense?

Basically

POV1 : first person present
POV2: third person limited past

EDIT: I could feasibly write both POVs from first person POV, but I can't write both from third person POV.

|Book Review Blog |Twitter|

Last edited by meowzbark; 12-27-2012 at 03:39 PM.
meowzbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've never seen the use in switching tenses to show flashbacks... seems more like a gimmick to me.

I hate present tense (unless done extremely well). Some people might be the other way around. If you have a book with one tense and the reader is enjoying it, and switch on us... we might not like it any longer. Stephen King did this on me...

I also have to press that not all people have even one tense down to effectively write in it, so switching might create more problems. (Though if you understand the basics, its down to vocabulary).

I also don't like when books switch narratives on me. Unless the there is a really, really good reason for having 1st and 3rd together, I would like to see either multiple 3rd or a single 1st.

That's just staying consistent so you're not throwing the reader around. If you change one thing, the reader feels on edge for the rest of the story, expecting something else to change at any moment.

But then, why can't your character just "switch" into first and we (the reader) would know that she's in a different body? If you make that clear that she's inside someone else, you can keep your single 1st present tense.

Or, or... use 1st omni during the flashbacks, and keep it present tense! It sounds just like it sounds. Have her enter the flashbacks and watch the person in 3rd, but keep within the 1st person narration. The narrator will be able to pull up thoughts and knowledge from the possessed girl. (Oh boy, this might be very hard though). Tricky.

Do what you wish, how you wish. If done well, I'd have no complaints.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Last edited by WillSauger; 12-27-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Lare nighr, you forger rhe "R"
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
SomethingOrOther
Evil Pony

Location: Chomping down on the tender hineyflesh of humans. >=)
SomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudgeSomethingOrOther is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzbark View Post
Should I rewrite one of the POVs to make the book either entirely present tense or past tense?
No. You should do what you want to do. Your original setup is fine.

Hardonasaurass Rex (Dinosaur Erotica): (272,165/285,000)
Some Dude I'm Kidnapping: (Trunked)
SomethingOrOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
Agree with SomethingOrOther on this one. I've seen plenty of books with POVs that switch like this (I'm reading one now) that work just fine. Go with what feels right.

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
meowzbark

meowzbark is a shiny, shiny jewelmeowzbark is a shiny, shiny jewel
Thanks for the advice!

|Book Review Blog |Twitter|
meowzbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
rwm4768

rwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I've read one book I can think of that was partially in third person past, partially in first person present: Ilium by Dan Simmons. Simmons also goes all over the place with tense and point of view in Hyperion, and I found it worked in both books.

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 158K Revising
Sunweaver (Epic Fantasy): 105K Revising
rwm4768 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
Danalynn
NEVER give up!!!!

Danalynn is a shiny, shiny jewelDanalynn is a shiny, shiny jewel
Smile

I agree, I think your original set up will work just fine. Go with what feels right to you. Your beta readers will be able to tell you for sure how well it works from a readers perspective.

* That's a point well put, and a timely suggestion that we'll bring up at the very
next board meeting a week from Tuesday . . . I don't know why, it's just policy *

Danalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
BlankWhitePage
figuring it all out

BlankWhitePage is on a distinguished road
I don't see anything wrong with your current setup. Stick with what you feel works best, you can always revise it in the next draft.

BlankWhitePage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
itsaplane
all the feels, ALL OF THEM

itsaplane is on a distinguished road
Do what you feel feels right! That's the way to go, always.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
flapperphilosopher

flapperphilosopher has a spectacular auraflapperphilosopher has a spectacular aura
I've certainly read books that do this. The Blind Assasin, by Margaret Atwood, has first person present tense, first person past tense, and third person past tense, depending on the POV. It won a Booker. I'm all for "if it feels right, go for it"-- your subconcious can be very clever.
flapperphilosopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:24 AM   #11
The Otter
Friendly Neighborhood Mustelidae

Location: In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all eternity.
The Otter is a glorious beacon of lightThe Otter is a glorious beacon of lightThe Otter is a glorious beacon of light
I once wrote a novel where flashbacks were done in present tense and the present was written in past tense. Counter-intuitive, maybe, but it worked for me and for my beta. There are lots of books that switch tenses and POVs. It can be confusing if you're not careful, but if it feels right, then go with it; if there are issues, you can iron them out in the edits.
The Otter is offline   Reply With Quote