Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
President George Bush, the Elder, admitted to Intensive Care Unit

I know we're supposed to comment on and offer an opinion about anything we post. All I can say is, he's an old, old man. And in my (limited) experience working in healthcare, these details don't bode well.

http://www.npr.org/2012/12/26/168103...sive-care-unit

Quote:

Former President George H.W. Bush Moved To Intensive Care Unit

by The Associated Press -- December 26, 2012 7:53 PM

Former President George H.W. Bush has been admitted to the intensive care unit at a Houston hospital "following a series of setbacks including a persistent fever," but he is alert and talking to medical staff, his spokesman said Wednesday....

... doctors are cautiously optimistic about his treatment and that the former president "remains in guarded condition."

No other details were released about his medical condition, but McGrath said Bush is surrounded by family. Bush has been hospitalized since Nov. 23....

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)
Plot Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Opty
Pure, undiluted awesome

Opty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I didnt realize until I saw this story on the news tonight that he's been in the hospital since November 23. He was moved to the ICU only recently but has been in that hospital for over a month.

A month in the hospital from a fever, no matter the age of the person, is never a good sign. Now that he's gone to the ICU, and given the doctor's language, it sounds like it's even more dire than they're letting on (not that they're saying everything is peachy).

I hope he returns to good health soon but if that's not possible, I hope he is comfortable, at peace, and around loved ones in his last days.

"The mind is its own place and, in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." John Milton
Opty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wish him well.
Alessandra Kelley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
MattW
Company Man

MattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
He's a former president and a decorated WWII vet. There aren't enough of either left around. Moving to ICU after a long hospital stay is not good - persistent fever could be a sign of hospital acquired infections.

Get better soon Mr. President.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
AncientEagle
Old kid, no need to be gentle.

AncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I haven't always agreed with him, but I've always respected him. A man of character and integrity. I hope he recovers and has many more good years.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #6
rugcat
Lost in the Fog

rugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientEagle View Post
I haven't always agreed with him, but I've always respected him. A man of character and integrity. I hope he recovers and has many more good years.
That's exactly how I feel.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:25 AM   #7
kuwisdelu
we are the words 'i love you'

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hope he gets better.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I always like him and Barbara. My prayers go out to his family that he recovers...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
vsrenard
Troubles a star

vsrenard is a shiny, shiny jewelvsrenard is a shiny, shiny jewel
The first election I voted in was Bush S v. Clinton. At the time, I found Bush's ideology offensive and linked that distate to the man. It was only as I grew older that I realized he is principled and a man of integrity, even though we disagree on many matters.

I wish him well.

Watermark: A Novel of the Middle Ages
vsrenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
whistlelock
Whiskey Rebel

whistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for Presidentwhistlelock should run for President
Quote:
Me too.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

Yes, this.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
Haggis
No longer green
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I did mostly agree with him and wish today's Republicans were more like him.
Miss Angel Chihuahua

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
absitinvidia
A bit of a wallflower

absitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by thothguard51 View Post
I always like him and Barbara.

Him, yes. Barbara "the Astrodome is the best home these Katrina evacuees have ever had", not so much.
absitinvidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #14
Jean Marie
calm waters ahead

Jean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJean Marie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
I did mostly agree with him and wish today's Republicans were more like him.
Me, too.

He'd probably love to parachute one more time.

Like someone else said, there aren't too many WWll Vets around for us to honor & thank. I do hope he's as comfortable as is possible. And, yes he's always been a man of integrity.

Be at peace, Mr. President, you've accomplished a lot.

To thine own self be true

current WIP (mystery/crime w/ supernatural twist)
Completed at long last

*Thanks, Jo*

Jean Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #15
clintl
Represent.

clintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I hope he gets well, and echo the sentiment wishing today's Republicans were more like him.
clintl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #16
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl View Post
I hope he gets well, and echo the sentiment wishing today's Republicans were more like him.
Me too.

I once knew someone who worked in the White House while he was there, and said he was a very nice man, and always said thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes:

http://celiacyanide.tumblr.com/
Celia Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Opty
Pure, undiluted awesome

Opty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
He's out of the ICU and reportedly his condition is improving.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/Ken...ves-leaves-icu

"The mind is its own place and, in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." John Milton
Opty is offline   Reply With Quote