Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Announcements, Events, and Book Promotion
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
maracalone
practical experience, FTW

maracalone is well-respected
Author Opportunity to Promote Work

Mods, please move if this is not the place for this post.

I am an English Language Facilitator for a very large school district in California--one of the largest in the nation. This year, the state of California is giving us a grant to be utilized for early advanced and advanced English learners (majority are Hispanic, some are Vietnamese or other).

What I am wondering is this:

Are there any authors/poets/illustrators/artists in the LA/San Bernardino City Districts willing to come speak to middle school students about your work? The district is willing to buy a set number of copies or your novel/work should you choose to come speak to about 50-60 students. It doesn't matter whether you are traditionally published or self-published. The works can be for children or teens (MG and YA)

The district prefers the work to be multi-cultural in nature and/or written by someone of an ethnic background (Hispanic, Asian, etc.).

And does anyone know of another place I can post this question that is as reputable as AW (I obviously can't just promote on Craig's List or anything because of safety issues).

Thank you so much if you are able to help out!!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I sent a private message to an author here whose work fits your parameters. She's out of town and may not see it for some time. I just didn't want you to think we'd ignored it.

Maryn, a wee bit hung over
Old 12-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
maracalone

Thank you so much!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
Kim Fierce
Attack me with everything you have.

Kim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to behold
If I lived in California I would do it!! lol

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain
The Divide, Book 1: Uprising

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!
The Divide, Book 2: Unity--3-14!!
Strong Arrow's Warpath--4-14!!
Revolt of the Perfectly Free, paperback short story collection--6-14!!
Kim Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
slhuang
Rhymes with wrong.

slhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslhuang is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ack! I live in Southern California AND am a POC, but I haven't published any YA yet. Too bad!

(If you're ever doing this again in later years though, PM me, as I'd love to if I've written something relevant by that point.)

And if you're ever looking for a speaker on the topics of working in Hollywood or putting together good college applications, I'm qualified on both of those. (And I can do it NOT under my author pen name, so students don't find my blog where I swear a lot and talk about firearms. )

What AWers say:

"OMGIFINISHEDYOURBEWKANDITISAWESOME!!!!!"--Silent Rob
"Bourne Identity was a page turner and kind of set the bar for me as far as action/adventure type books go. Until I read Zero Sum Game"--Mclesh

Blog * Twitter * Mailing list
slhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
maracalone

Wish you did, Kim!!!

Boooo SL! Wish you had some YA. I will be watching to see when you decide to do so though.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
gregvaneekhout
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

gregvaneekhout is on a distinguished road
Hi. I'm a middle-grade writer based in San Diego, but depending on the timing, I'd be happy to come up for a school visit. My books are Kid vs. Squid and The Boy at the End of the World, both from Bloomsbury.

Please feel free to send me an email with details: [email address redacted]

--
Greg van Eekhout

Last edited by Ari Meermans; 12-29-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Please don't post your email address in public.
gregvaneekhout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi, Greg,

Welcome to the Water Cooler. I've removed your email address as AE&BP is not a password-protected forum.

Should anyone wish to contact the OP regarding this opportunity, please send a PM. Posting your email address in public isn't the safest of practices because of email harvesters and other nasty little bots.

Thanks,

Ari
“Plot is people. Human emotions and desires founded on the realities of life, working at cross purposes, getting hotter and fiercer as they strike against each other until finally there’s an explosion—that’s Plot.” ~Leigh Brackett, July 1943

.Where the twit tries not to be TOO much of one.
Ari Meermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
maracalone

Wrote you, Greg!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Tienci
Lost in the Land of Giants

Tienci has a spectacular auraTienci has a spectacular aura
Gah--what a wonderful opportunity!
I'm also a SoCal POC but only adult works so far.
A YA novel is forthcoming however, so feel free to PM me should the chance arise once again!
In the meantime, good luck and Happy New Year.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
maracalone

Thanks, Tienci! I definitely will!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

lastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolness
I'm nowhere near your area, but I often hear about opportunities like this through my old school (I did a Masters of Creative Writing).
Just as a suggestion of places to advertise, you might want to see if there are any well regarded local courses in YA which might have a similar mailing list, or local writers' organisations.
Good luck

Amazon Link: Tempting the Unicorn
(a somewhat smutty fantasy novella)
lastlittlebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
maracalone

I will check it out, lastlittlebird. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #14
johnnysannie
Seanachie

johnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputation
It's a wonderful opportunity - wish I lived closer but I do something similar in the school district where I live back in Missouri!

Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy - Romance Author

Ms. Murphy's portrayal of a bitter, deeply wounded Marine was gripping and totally believable. I cried with him, felt his shame, felt his sorrow. Bravo, Ms. Murphy!
http://www.amazon.com/Wills-Way-Lee-...dp/B00HPZTU7M/
!
johnnysannie is offline   Reply With Quote