Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess of Spring
AW Poet Laureate

Ambrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
4 Firefighters Shot, 2 Fatally, in Western New York

The fire and shooting happened this morning a few miles from where I live. I am very saddened and deeply troubled by this event.

ABC News story

And Christmas is tomorrow. For those families whose loved ones were killed and injured, my heart breaks.

The 2014 AW Poetry Review Contest voting is now in progress.
Vote for your favorite poetry review now!
Do it!

I have given in to the Blog Bug. Visit my Duchy here.

"Hmmm .... Duchess after much thought you are clearly the Tribal Sage." Neporsche, Tribal Scribe

Ambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This is horrible. The wives of firefighters live in constant fear of their husbands getting killed by fire.

But not by bullets.

When the fire marshall's car pulls up in front of the house of a firefighter, the wife looks out and sees the car, sees the men getting out and heading up the front walkway, and she knows in utter horror and anguish that they are there to tell her that her husband is dead.

But by bullets?

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)
Plot Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Plot Device

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I want to add two observations:

1) The funerals for those slain firefighters will be HUGE. Firefighters will come from all over the country--and likely from Canada as well-- to attend that funeral. There will likely be a huge, somber parade for the funeral procession.

2) Firefighters in particular are dearly beloved members of almost any community. While cops might sometimes be feared and mistrusted, firefigters have always been regarded as invaluable lifesavers. All members of all socio-economic segemnts know that a firefighter is your best friend. And since 9/11, the endearment of firefighters in America has only intensified.

In the end, this travesty will be received with much emotion by the general public.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Bebop
Self-Banned

Bebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admiration
Jesus, what the...
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Teinz
The One Ring?

Location: Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
Teinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
The fire and shooting happened this morning a few miles from where I live. I am very saddened and deeply troubled by this event.
Hang in there.
Teinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Teinz
The One Ring?

Location: Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
Teinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plot Device View Post
In the end, this travesty will be received with much emotion by the general public.
I agree.

I get the feeling few shootings will go unnoticed for some time to come.
Teinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I know people in Rochester, and I very nearly went to college there. My god, who would do such a thing? Shoot at firefighters? It's bad enough they worry about normal disasters and terrorism. I hope those responsible are caught quickly.

Fueled by hope and coffee.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
alleycat
Be afraid . . .
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
No tragedy would be complete without WBC making it worse.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
I know people in Rochester, and I very nearly went to college there. My god, who would do such a thing? Shoot at firefighters? It's bad enough they worry about normal disasters and terrorism. I hope those responsible are caught quickly.
Did I misread the story? I thought the man responsible was already dead.

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
regdog
Happy Halloween
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess of Spring
AW Poet Laureate

Ambrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teinz View Post
Hang in there.
Thanks, Teinz.

There was an off-duty police officer who was injured, too. He was hit by shrapnel. The two firefighters in the hospital are in guarded condition.

Police say the suspected gunman was found dead near the property where the fire started.

The house was set on fire by a car on fire close to the house. Besides the home that was on fire in the beginning, because the firemen couldn't get to it due to the gunman the fire spread and destroyed two three other homes with another four homes damaged. I hope no one else was injured due to the uncontrolled fire.

Last edited by Ambrosia; 12-24-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: updated information
Old 12-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Coming so soon after the explosion in Indianapolis, I can't help but wonder if we'll find out that insurance or foreclosure will appear in this story.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This reminds me of the time when ambulances stopped going into some UK housing estates because they would get shot at. This is not something people in already very difficult jobs should have to worry about.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
Plot Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
Coming so soon after the explosion in Indianapolis, I can't help but wonder if we'll find out that insurance or foreclosure will appear in this story.

Wondering the same thing.

Either someone was trying to benefit from fire insuarnce, or someone's house was getting torched as a form of gangland revenge.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #15
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess of Spring
AW Poet Laureate

The police don't have a motive yet, but they have ID'd the shooter. He has a violent record.

Quote:
Police say Spengler was shooting from a berm near the Lake Road home and this was set up as a trap. A Webster Police officer did exchange fire with a shooter. The officer was not injured.
Above quote taken from updated story from News10, Rochester, NY.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plot Device View Post
Wondering the same thing.

Either someone was trying to benefit from fire insuarnce, or someone's house was getting torched as a form of gangland revenge.
Or the folks he wanted to take out in a rampage were his neighbors and the cops [eta - and first reponders ]

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:43 PM   #17
Cella
Boo!

Cella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
No tragedy would be complete without WBC making it worse.
They give humans a bad name.
Cella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:56 AM   #18
Plot Device

It seems the guy is possibly a very disturbed undividual. Served 17 years for murdering his 92-year-old grandmother with a hammer.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-shot/1788917/

Meanwhile, according to one report, the house address was 191 Lake Road in Webster, NY.

If you click on the "Google Maps" link below, use "Street View" and make the teeny yellow man turn around away from the water to look at the house itself.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=191+L...14580&t=m&z=15

Nice little house.

Nice little neighborhood.

Nice water-front view.

And reports of the shooter taking a position on a nearby "embankment" are made more clear when you spin the teeny yellow man back around to look at the water again. There's your embankment.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #19
_Sian_
Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D

_Sian_ is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments_Sian_ is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments_Sian_ is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments_Sian_ is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments_Sian_ is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments_Sian_ is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments_Sian_ is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments_Sian_ is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments_Sian_ is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments_Sian_ is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments_Sian_ is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

I hope peace comes to their families.
_Sian_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
muse
standing on head, typing one-handed...

muse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
How incredibly sad, for all the families involved.

These brave men and women rush into places most of us run from. To be shot doing their duty...it just defies belief.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
More news emerging now--a female corpse found among the post-fire debris. The man's sister is missing and it's presumed that's her, although the coroner will make that determination as well as the cause of death.

In the aftermath, I found it heartening to read that the firefighters in the surrounding towns and the nearby city are covering all shifts in Webster's fire stations so the Webster firefighters who knew the dead and wounded can be away from their duties to mourn and support the families.

Maryn
Old 12-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #22
backslashbaby

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
He left a note, and police read one line publicly:

"I still have to get ready to see how much of the neighborhood I can burn down and do what I like doing best, killing people."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...lliam-spengler

-- Celia Cyanide

Old 12-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
backslashbaby

The gunman's neighbor was a straw buyer for this convicted murderer piece of shit:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/28/justic...ush/index.html

Quote:
New York (CNN) -- The gunman who ambushed and killed two unsuspecting firefighters as they battled a blaze in upstate New York couldn't buy his weapons legally so he allegedly got his neighbor's daughter to purchase them for him, said U.S. Attorney William Hochul.
Dawn Nguyen of Rochester, New York, faces charges over allegedly lying when she purchased an AR-15 rifle -- a .223-caliber weapon -- and 12-gauge shotgun that the gunman had with him during the attack.
Authorities say she told the gun dealer that she planned to be the owner of the weapons, but had instead purchased them on June 7, 2010,for gunman William Spengler....
May she get the full sentence and fine.

Quote:
...Nguyen's attorney was not immediately available for comment. If convicted, she could face up to 10 years in jail and $250,000 fine.
This article is new but doesn't mention the burned body in his house. Wtf? Presumably that is his sister, but I think she still hasn't been officially ID'ed. In any case, he killed more people than the article I linked suggests. I don't know why they left that part out.

-- Celia Cyanide

Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #24
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess of Spring
AW Poet Laureate

The police believe it was his sister, but the ME hasn't made the official ID yet because of the heat of the fire.

The 2014 AW Poetry Review Contest voting is now in progress.
Vote for your favorite poetry review now!
Do it!

I have given in to the Blog Bug. Visit my Duchy here.

"Hmmm .... Duchess after much thought you are clearly the Tribal Sage." Neporsche, Tribal Scribe

Old 12-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #25
nighttimer
It's Morning in America

nighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnighttimer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Spengler wondered aloud at his parole hearing if he might kill again.

Guess that question's been answered, huh?

Quote:
Nine years after brutally slaying his 92-year-old grandmother with a hammer, the man who opened fire on volunteer firefighters on Christmas Eve in upstate New York told a parole board in 1989 that he was worried he might kill again if freed, according to court documents.

“If you were capable of it once, are you capable of it again?" William Spengler wondered out loud at an Oct. 3, 1989, parole hearing, according to state criminal records released by the New York Department of Corrections in the wake of Monday’s shooting.

"There is no reason why it should have happened,” he told commission members. “It makes no sense whatsoever. You know, hindsight is a great thing but it does no good."

Spengler frequently quarreled with the parole board members during the hearings, disputing how many times he struck his grandmother with the hammer in the July 18, 1980, attack, for example.

He also blamed his grandmother for precipitating the attack by hitting him in the groin, and said he only had the hammer because he was preparing to board up a basement door to prevent his grandmother from going to the cellar.
"They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one: they promised to take our land and they took it. It was not hard to see that the white people coveted every inch of land on which we lived. Greed. Treaties that have been made are vain attempts to save a little of the fatherland, treaties holy to us by the smoke of the pipe - but nothing is holy to the white man. Little by little, with greed and cruelty unsurpassed by the animal, he has taken all. The loaf is gone and now the white man wants the crumbs."
--Luther Standing Bear

"I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."
-- John Wayne

Unapologetic. Vainglorious. Multifarious. Just Audacious. @The Domino Theory
nighttimer is offline   Reply With Quote