Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Bebop
Self-Banned

Bebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admiration
What do you have planned?

A great holiday, Christmas or otherwise? "Great" in scale or just in merriment? Will you have a big party at your place, either on the Eve or on the 25th? A lot of family and friends? Will you have a small and intimate one instead? Will you be alone? I'm really curious about how people will observe the holiday or not. Anybody want to share their plans?
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Had my ceremony yesterday. Quiet, private.
So my holiday is over.
Will go visit Mom for a few days.
May or may not barmaid on NYE.

Literary & Misfit Writers Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Sadly, the forum moderator is too deep into his scotch tonight to care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Don and I will have brunch with family tomorrow morning, visit other family the next day, then spend a quiet eve and Christmas day at home.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
kaitiepaige17
Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!

kaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I'm driving home tomorrow morning and spending some time with my parents and siblings. On Christmas night we're going to my grandparents where I completely intend on getting smammered with my wild uncles. Merry Christmas!

"Love is not an emotion felt by two people, but the joining of one soul that had before been split between two bodies."
kaitiepaige17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We tend to go small. Our son, his girlfriend, and their rabbit should be here by dinner, after some travel tribulations yesterday. Our daughter lives in town and will be here most afternoons and evenings. We'll all cook together, including Roast Beast on Christmas day, and there will be wine, cheese, grapes, and board games, possibly also some movies. And, I sincerely hope, some down time for us all. None of us is terribly social and we find this sort of thing draining even thought we enjoy it.

The day after Christmas the out-of-towners depart, and New Year's Eve will be pretty quiet, with us at home with champagne and a themed movie if we can identify a good one.

Maryn, not a party person
Old 12-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Bebop
Self-Banned

Bebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitiepaige17 View Post
I'm driving home tomorrow morning and spending some time with my parents and siblings. On Christmas night we're going to my grandparents where I completely intend on getting smammered with my wild uncles. Merry Christmas!
Sounds like a ball. Long drive? Got wintery type weather there? Christmas Night, that's Eve or Christmas Day? Smammered? I like that. I'll borrow that and actually, now that I think of it, maybe I'll even give it a try!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
Bebop
Self-Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAssauer View Post
Had my ceremony yesterday. Quiet, private.
So my holiday is over.
Will go visit Mom for a few days.
May or may not barmaid on NYE.
Behind the bar of NY Eve? Must be (Might be) fun. What kind of a bar is it? Upscale? Neighborhood? Shot and a beer type?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
kaitiepaige17

kaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
Sounds like a ball. Long drive? Got wintery type weather there? Christmas Night, that's Eve or Christmas Day? Smammered? I like that. I'll borrow that and actually, now that I think of it, maybe I'll even give it a try!
Yep, it's about a five-hour drive south. It's a little snowy where I'm at now, but it rarely snows in Middle TN anymore, at least not anywhere around my hometown.

Smammered is the word I use to describe getting inappropriately drunk around family members during holidays It is, after all, the only way I can put up with most of them.

"Love is not an emotion felt by two people, but the joining of one soul that had before been split between two bodies."
Old 12-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
Bebop
Self-Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitiepaige17 View Post
Yep, it's about a five-hour drive south. It's a little snowy where I'm at now, but it rarely snows in Middle TN anymore, at least not anywhere around my hometown.

Smammered is the word I use to describe getting inappropriately drunk around family members during holidays It is, after all, the only way I can put up with most of them.
Ha-ha, I remember those kinds of family things. Sounds like you at least enjoy the company of your wild uncles anyway. Do you like living out of town, or would you rather be back in Tennessee?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:39 PM   #10
kaitiepaige17

Quote:
Ha-ha, I remember those kinds of family things. Sounds like you at least enjoy the company of your wild uncles anyway. Do you like living out of town, or would you rather be back in Tennessee?
I'm actually still in TN, just East TN, about an hour and half past Knoxville. I'm a wanderer, though, so I'm ready to move again. I'm looking to settle in Nashville once I graduate college. It's such a great city.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
Bebop
Self-Banned

Oh, it's nice your so close to home, right? You get back often, stay in touch with old friends?

I went to school in the same city that I grew up in, but holidays were fun 'cause all the people that went to school out of town came home and would show up in the local bars.

A lottalotta fun!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #12
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Normally on Christmas day, the family has a big lunch (roast sort of stuff) together, then unwraps presents, then snacks on leftovers for dinner. (Actually, it's not always on the actual day - sis and her boyfriend work jobs that sometimes mean they aren't available on Christmas day.)

This year, they are available, and will be bringing sis's boyfriend's mum (who I've never met before) - but will be arriving around 4pm. Not sure why such a late start (maybe one has to work the morning shift?) but anyway, mum and I will be going to the grandparents' place for a snacky-lunch, and then after we'll all have a big dinner when sis et al arrive.

It's not really a huge deal with us... Just an excuse to get together, share a meal, and exchange gifts. None of us are religious.

So yeah, that's my "big" plan for Christmas.

NYE, I'll probably be asleep by 9pm after having done nothing that night. The day, however, I really should be editing.

ETA: And as I'm sure Kelly could tell you, real NYE is October 31st.
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #13
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Behind the bar of NY Eve? Must be (Might be) fun. What kind of a bar is it? Upscale? Neighborhood? Shot and a beer type?
Small 'new music' club.
College - alt - punk.
The money's good.

Behind the bar would be way safer.

Literary & Misfit Writers Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
Sadly, the forum moderator is too deep into his scotch tonight to care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
Bebop
Self-Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post
Normally on Christmas day, the family has a big lunch (roast sort of stuff) together, then unwraps presents, then snacks on leftovers for dinner. (Actually, it's not always on the actual day - sis and her boyfriend work jobs that sometimes mean they aren't available on Christmas day.)

This year, they are available, and will be bringing sis's boyfriend's mum (who I've never met before) - but will be arriving around 4pm. Not sure why such a late start (maybe one has to work the morning shift?) but anyway, mum and I will be going to the grandparents' place for a snacky-lunch, and then after we'll all have a big dinner when sis et al arrive.

It's not really a huge deal with us... Just an excuse to get together, share a meal, and exchange gifts. None of us are religious.

So yeah, that's my "big" plan for Christmas.

NYE, I'll probably be asleep by 9pm after having done nothing that night. The day, however, I really should be editing.

ETA: And as I'm sure Kelly could tell you, real NYE is October 31st.
Sounds nice though.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:01 AM   #15
Bebop
Self-Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAssauer View Post
Small 'new music' club.
College - alt - punk.
The money's good.

Behind the bar would be way safer.
Oh, sounds like a good place to hang.

Whattya mean, behind the bar would be much safer?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #16
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We'll have a party here for Christmas Eve, then church. Then to my mom and dad's for Christmas. It'll be loud and noisy and festive. I love that kind of thing. But tomorrow in church I have to play Mary. Eep. I'll be glad when that's over!

What about you, Bebop? What are your plans?
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:01 AM   #17
Bebop
Self-Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
We'll have a party here for Christmas Eve, then church. Then to my mom and dad's for Christmas. It'll be loud and noisy and festive. I love that kind of thing. But tomorrow in church I have to play Mary. Eep. I'll be glad when that's over!

What about you, Bebop? What are your plans?
I love that kind of thing, too. Had a lot of Christmases like that. When I was growing up, our house was Christmas Eve Central, both sides of the family showed up, every one drank too much, ate too much, good for a lot of laughs and at least one blow up. Past couple of Christmases have been quiet and small, and this year will be the same. Something to it as well, but I prefer the other. Mary, huh? Oh Madone!
Old 12-23-2012, 02:03 AM   #18
IAMWRITER
QWERTY!!!

IAMWRITER has a spectacular auraIAMWRITER has a spectacular aura
Family get together and meal on Christmas Day.
Family get together and meal on New Year's Day.

Basic but very nice. Family is best part of the holidays for me.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #19
Bebop
Self-Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMWRITER View Post

No question. Is that extended family? A big one?
Old 12-23-2012, 02:15 AM   #20
Bebop
Self-Banned

should be a good one

Last edited by Bebop; 12-23-2012 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #21
druid12000
You're out of your tree...

Location: The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans...
druid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdruid12000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tomorrow we're having a big get together at my sister's house, immediate family and cousins, many dogs under foot. My brother-in-law's (I should just say brother) father is coming from Texas (we're in New Hampshire) and they don't really get along, so that should be interesting. One of my cousins and her family are coming from California. I see her about once every two years, so it will be nice to catch up.
Christmas Eve...not sure. One of my sisters is an RN and I think she may be working and I'm not sure where we're going for Christmas Day. My family is horrible with communication and last minute changes of plans.
Anyway, it should be fun.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
" My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." ~ from 'Joe vs the Volcano'
druid12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:51 AM   #22
GailD
Trick or edit?

GailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGailD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMWRITER View Post

Ditto.

Two, of my three daughters, live in London, UK and neither of them can be here for Christmas this year so it will be quiet. But both of them are coming home for a vacation early in February. I'm thinking about putting the tree back up and having another Christmas with all the trimmings then.

New blog - Jumping Genres. (Updated August 14)

GailD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:29 AM   #23
Write_Askew
practical experience, FTW

Write_Askew is well-respected
I celebrated my personal holiday yesterday, like KellyAssuer did. My family, however, celebrates Christmas. I'll go to midnight mass with my FIL and then we'll have a traditional Christmas breakfast with my MIL.

My mom, who isn't big on planning, has decided to "play it fast and loose" this year. So I have no idea what will happen there. My friends have a bad habit of taking bets on when she'll call to make plans. Thus far, she's outdone herself. No one bet she would wait this long. On the other hand, any chance to see her is nice. I shouldn't complain. Not too long ago she would have skipped it altogether.

Whatever happens, I'll surely be heading out to see Les Miserables sometime on the 25th.

GailD- you should totally do that. They'd love it, I'm sure. My friends and I always have Christmas in August because all of us have so many plans (most of them include travel) during the holidays. It means a lot no matter what day it is.
Write_Askew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:37 AM   #24
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
... though not of the corresponding faith, am going to a small get-together at a pal's.
Looking forward to it and finding out what they've been up to of late.
Ken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #25
Amanda R.
She who must be obeyed

Amanda R. is well-respected
Alas, my husband and I have to work on Christmas Day (China just doesn't observe it), but we will be leaving next Saturday for 2 weeks in Thailand! I'm so excited. This is a dream vacation for me that I have been fantasizing about for years and planning for months! Counting down the hours...

"Literature is the most noble of professions. In fact, it is about the only one fit for man." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Read about my adventures in China.
Amanda R. is offline   Reply With Quote