Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Question About an Offer

I got an offer of rep. but still have two partials and 1 full out that I'd rather go with. Should I ask the partial requesters if they want to see the full? How much time should I give if I do that? Would having an offer from another agent help make a favorable decision for the others?
Undercover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
NicolaD
This will all make sense tomorrow

NicolaD is on a distinguished road
Absolutely let the other agents with your ms know you have an offer. They can then decide if they want to pass/see more/make an offer as well. I think 1-2 weeks is fairly standard in terms of time. It may not get you favourable answers from the others, but it sure as heck speeds up the process when you have an offer on the table.
FB: Nicola Davidson - Author
Twitter: @NicolaMDavidson
---
Represented by Jessica Alvarez at Bookends Literary
His Forbidden Lady (Tudor) coming August 2014 from Entangled Publishing.
NicolaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
What she said.
You must inform the other agents who are considering your work.

And congratulations
Old 12-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
ARoyce
Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant

ARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewelARoyce is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
I got an offer of rep. but still have two partials and 1 full out that I'd rather go with. Should I ask the partial requesters if they want to see the full? How much time should I give if I do that? Would having an offer from another agent help make a favorable decision for the others?
Congratulations!

(A word of caution: it might not be diplomatic to mention that you'd rather go with someone else. While it may be unlikely that the agents in question would find this, it's not impossible.)

Rather than ask the others if they want to upgrade, I'd email them an update with the subject line "offer of rep." If they're interested, they'll move more quickly.

While 1-2 weeks seems standard, I'm not sure if that's enough due to the holidays...maybe request a response by Jan. 11? Whatever date you suggest, you should also make sure that's okay with the agent who has already offered.

Getting an offer of rep won't necessarily get more favorable responses, but it will get you faster responses than the average querier.

Congrats again and good luck with the others!

Web site ~ Twitter ~ Facebook
ARoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks everyone. I informed the other agents and one got back to me right away asking for the full. And we're on the same wave length ARoyce, I asked if it could be read by Jan 10th. The date just popped in my head, probably should have looked at the calender first.

The full request was just earlier today and she mentioned she'd get back to me sometime early January. Should I still mention it to her? I feel weird telling her today when she JUST requested it. Would telling her next week (after xmas) be better?
Undercover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
wampuscat
Recovering adjective addict

wampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for Presidentwampuscat should run for President
I've read that agents consider it common courtesy to be informed when there is an offer of rep out on an ms they are considering.

ETA: Congrats!
wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
Corinne Duyvis
She of the Comfortable Shoulders

Corinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of lightCorinne Duyvis is a glorious beacon of light
Normally January 10th would be very lenient--one week is standard--but given the holidays, it makes sense.

If you've recently queried an agent you really love and haven't gotten a response yet, you can contact them, as well. I did that when I got my offer, and it resulted in a second offer.

"Original and compelling; a stunning debut." —Kirkus ★
"Duyvis makes ingenious use of a fascinating premise." —PW ★
"[Its] true strength ... is in its positive portrayal of LGBT issues." —SLJ ★
"[S]ubtle, nuanced examinations of power dynamics and privilege." —BCCB ★

OTHERBOUND—now out!
Corinne Duyvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
Congrats! I second all the others above me - let all the other agents know you have an offer (even those with a partial or full). Good luck!

Of Fragile Things: agented and working on revisions
Repped by Carr1e H0wland of Donadio & Olson
Smiley0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #9
FCameron
practical experience, FTW

FCameron is on a distinguished road
Congratulations!

Thriller: R&R underway for agent
Thriller: WIP
Historical Fiction: Researching

When I'm not writing fiction, I blog (unedited) about what I love at Defining Your Home, Garden & Travel
FCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Definitely let all the other agents who have expressed interest know that you have an offer of representation. You don't have to tell them who it is who has offered, of course, although some of them might ask.

Don't forget to check out the offering agent, if you haven't done so already. Signing with an agent is a big deal, and you don't want to sign with one who isn't going to do an excellent job for you.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote