Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
Tepelus
Local Cemetery Girl

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Chrome and HTML

Is there a way on Chrome to get it to not show HTML code, for example, when you go to post a link on a forum and you attach a link to a message and the HTML code is shown wrapped around the link in the message box while typing the message. Or is this just the way it is on Chrome? It's kind of annoying.

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.
Tepelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm curious about this too.

My desktop shows the code, and my laptop doesn't. Always found it odd.
Scratch that. Checked it right now and its still showing code. Isn't there some type of add-on for this?

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Last edited by WillSauger; 12-20-2012 at 06:12 AM.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #3
GrayLensman
Sockpuppet

GrayLensman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepelus View Post
Is there a way on Chrome to get it to not show HTML code, for example, when you go to post a link on a forum and you attach a link to a message and the HTML code is shown wrapped around the link in the message box while typing the message. Or is this just the way it is on Chrome? It's kind of annoying.
I'm not sure I understand the question.

When I type the link to Mac's main site below:

http://www.absolutewrite.com

I don't see any HTML code. I don't see the code when I read the post later, either.

But it *has* to convert to HTML at some point in order to become a valid hyperlink for a browser to follow.

But, again, I don't think I understand the question.
GrayLensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I think there are a couple of things going on here.

1. Do you see this on AW forums?

AW uses BB Code. It is not html, though it is a kind of mark up, that is, tags are used to identify text strings in terms of what kind of data they describe; vBulletin interprets this code, and then sends a translation of it to the user/member/reader/s browser.

2. If by "code" you mean something that looks like this for a link:

[URL="http://www.absolutewrite.com"]Absolute Write's Top Page[/URL]

Which once you post looks like this:

Absolute Write's Top Page

That's a feature, not a bug, and the software for the forum (this one or another) is designed to show the tags deliberately.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Medievalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
When I use Chrome I see the tags, just as Lisa has described.

When I use Firefox, I only see the {quote} and {/quote} tags, which is generally helpful. But if I add a link to a post, then I don't see the tags in the dialogue box: it looks just as it would once the post is made.

I prefer using Firefox when I'm on AW for this reason alone: seeing all the tags is intrusive and distracting, and makes reviewing my comments here much more difficult for me.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
Tepelus
Local Cemetery Girl

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Medievalist, what I'm talking about is number two.

And what I see is how Old Hack describes. So I guess it must be a Chrome thing and there's nothing to change it. I guess every browser has its pluses and minuses. I like Chrome because it's faster than Mozilla and I can get onto websites that Mozilla doesn't like, but there are kinks that I dislike, like the showing of tags in a message box when you create a link. Thanks for taking the time in your responses. At least I'm not the only one it happens to.

Please Remember Me.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tepelus and Old Hack are you both on Windows?

I don't see the behavior Old Hack describes in any browser on Mac OS X (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, or Opera).

I generally use Chrome.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 12-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm on Windows 8 and Windows 7, and that's how it works for me on both.

Something I do like about Chrome is how it adds a little pullable corner to the dialogue boxes here, so I can resize them easily. That option isn't there with Firefox or IE.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Tepelus and Old Hack, which vBulletin edit option are you using?
  1. Go to your User CP
  2. Click Edit Options on the left
  3. Scroll down to the bottom where it says Miscellaneous Options
  4. Under Message Editor Options, which setting are you using?

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 12-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
Tirjasdyn
Outline Maven

Tirjasdyn has earned our admirationTirjasdyn has earned our admirationTirjasdyn has earned our admirationTirjasdyn has earned our admiration
Quote:
Medievalist, what I'm talking about is number two.

And what I see is how Old Hack describes. So I guess it must be a Chrome thing and there's nothing to change it. I guess every browser has its pluses and minuses. I like Chrome because it's faster than Mozilla and I can get onto websites that Mozilla doesn't like, but there are kinks that I dislike, like the showing of tags in a message box when you create a link. Thanks for taking the time in your responses. At least I'm not the only one it happens to.

I use Chrome on Windows. I do not see the BBcode unless quoted on purpose or broken.
Web Designer, Writer

I used to be amused by Utopians. With life experience, I have grown to fear them. The great failing of Utopians is that they can never accept that someone else might not want to
be a part of their utopian vision. Like ill-mannered tourists, they assume that if you don't agree with them, it must be because they're not explaining it simply enough, or often enough, or loudly enough, or ultimately, because you're stupid. Utopians always think achieving Utopia is simply a matter of education—and then re-education—and then coercion, legislation, litigation medication conditioning threats book-burnings eugenics surgical modifications hunting down the counter-revolutionaries killing the reactionaries genetic engineering—and ultimately all Utopians, no matter how nobly they begin, always end up at the same conclusion: that the only thing that keeps Man from building a secular heaven here on Earth is the nature of Man, therefore we must build a New and Better Man.

--The Ranting Room

Insurance is a bet that only the insurance company can win.
Tirjasdyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Medi, when I go to where you asked, under the Message Editor Interface options I'm using "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing". Is that what you needed to know?
Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #12
Tepelus
Local Cemetery Girl

That's the setting I have too, and I'm on Windows 7.

Please Remember Me.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
bpreslar
Working title

bpreslar is on a distinguished road
Is this a chrome problem?
bpreslar is offline   Reply With Quote