Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 03:41 AM   #1
srgalactica
practical experience, FTW

srgalactica is on a distinguished road
Titles - How the heck do you come up with them?

I've written a few novels and am working on a trilogy now, but I have never had an easy time coming up with titles. (Actually, I've never come up with a title for any of my works)

How do you guys find your titles?
srgalactica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
LadyV
Is it January Yet?

LadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mine sort of just come to me. I try to focus on an important aspect of the book. For example, my WIP Violet Dagger, the mentioned weapon is what ties all my characters together.

Also, publishers will often change a title if they think something else will be more marketable.

Current WIP: Violet Dagger - Contemporary Fantasy (outlining)
LadyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Let your editor do it.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
EMaree
a demon for tea

EMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputationEMaree has a double-platinum reputation
I use a WIP title/code word for the manuscript through the first draft, and after that draft is done I see if I can think of a title to suit the story.

Please pretend I preface all my advice posts with "There are no rules, but if there were..."

First Draft: Hella Fun WIP (YA UF)
With Betas: BR0K3N TH1NGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
Let your editor do it.
Yes, but you need/want a half decent title when you sub, even if it might be changed.

Think on your themes
Trawl quotable lines from your book that touch on that theme, or on an important element

Check quotes/sayings etc for inspiration. Check lines in your book that encapsulate what it is about.

My book in my sig is kinda partially named for a song - but the Black is a very important thing (to my MC) If he fades to his black he is screwed...

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
RobertEvert

RobertEvert has a spectacular aura
Boy, I think this is a terrific question.

When I first started pitching my manuscript, I called it "All Mortals Die." It was stupid, I know. But it came from something the mc said, just a flippant comment to laugh in the face of death that he didn't realize was coming.

But my agent said that it was a horrible title. So we came up with "The Riddle of Iliandor."

She pitched the book to several publishers who seemed moderately interested.

One of the publishers wanted to me to revise the ms and said that the title had to go.

I changed it to "Riddle in Stone." And the next publisher who saw it picked it up.

Was it the title? I don't know. But I think titles are extremely important.

AUTHOR OF "RIDDLE IN STONE" NOW AVAILABLE!!!

The first chapter is available here

My Blog:Neurotic Novelists of the World Unite!

Facebook New friends always welcome!
RobertEvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #7
srgalactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertEvert View Post
Boy, I think this is a terrific question.

When I first started pitching my manuscript, I called it "All Mortals Die." It was stupid, I know. But it came from something the mc said, just a flippant comment to laugh in the face of death that he didn't realize was coming.

But my agent said that it was a horrible title. So we came up with "The Riddle of Iliandor."

She pitched the book to several publishers who seemed moderately interested.

One of the publishers wanted to me to revise the ms and said that the title had to go.

I changed it to "Riddle in Stone." And the next publisher who saw it picked it up.

Was it the title? I don't know. But I think titles are extremely important.
I'm sure any title I come up with will change. I'm just getting sick of looking at my signature line with no title. lol

Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #8
RobertEvert

RobertEvert has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgalactica View Post
I'm sure any title I come up with will change. I'm just getting sick of looking at my signature line with no title. lol

Just throw something on the page and see what sticks.

There's a story about Hemingway and titles. Anybody remember it?

AUTHOR OF "RIDDLE IN STONE" NOW AVAILABLE!!!

The first chapter is available here

My Blog:Neurotic Novelists of the World Unite!

Facebook New friends always welcome!
RobertEvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
WriterWho
Edit . . . Edit . . . Edit . . .

WriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For my first trilogy, it was about location. Interesting names of locations can work. In the second trilogy, it was about the main character's trials. In the last trilogy of the series, I have yet to name the books (I was just happy to finish it). In the end, it'll probably all get changed, but it works for now.
WriterWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #10
srgalactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterWho View Post
For my first trilogy, it was about location. Interesting names of locations can work. In the second trilogy, it was about the main character's trials. In the last trilogy of the series, I have yet to name the books (I was just happy to finish it). In the end, it'll probably all get changed, but it works for now.
I know people sometimes use the name of an artifact in their world if that artifact plays a large role. Or sometimes the title has something to do with theme. And I've seen books titled after the name of a character.

My FMC is an assassin...so I kinda considered using the word 'assassin' in the title somehow. The MMC is a healer and leader of a rebellion, so I thought maybe something with that would work. This is more the FMC's story than the MMC's story, though.

I could title the book after the assassins guild, but I haven't really named it. The FMC refers to it as just The Guild...which can be confusing, since the assassin's guild's front is a merchant and trading guild (so technically you could call the front, The Guild) lol. And of course there's that Felicia Day web series called The Guild...so that's kind of out.

I'm not to worried. I'll worry if I don't have a title once I'm ready to submit. I was just very curious about where other writers find their titles.

Thanks so much for all the great input everyone.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 AM   #11
WinterDusk14
Non-savvy tech writer

WinterDusk14 is well-respected
I would say it's based on any unique characters of the story or an organization, or the hero of the story - like Mistborn, Iron Council, Warbreaker.

The city it takes place - Elantris, Low Town.

Or maybe the entire world it takes place - Narnia.
WinterDusk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
WriterWho

WriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWriterWho is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by srgalactica View Post
My FMC is an assassin...so I kinda considered using the word 'assassin' in the title somehow. The MMC is a healer and leader of a rebellion, so I thought maybe something with that would work. This is more the FMC's story than the MMC's story, though.
Actually, if it fit with the plot, I kind of like Assassin's Rebellion. It has a certain ring to it. Lots of conflict in that title. Just a thought.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
srgalactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterWho View Post
Actually, if it fit with the plot, I kind of like Assassin's Rebellion. It has a certain ring to it. Lots of conflict in that title. Just a thought.

That sounds really good, actually. It makes sense nd actually it works in two ways. 1.) My FMC does end up taking up my MMC's cause (rebellion) and 2.) And she ends up rebelling against even being an assassin.

Thanks WriterWho!!!!

Old 12-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #14
WriterWho

You're welcome. Glad to help.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sometimes they happen right at the get-go, others I derive usually from some line in the story. If you're writing good sharp vigorous prose, you should have some expressions in the story that will generate a useful title or two.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #16
keepcalmandwriteon
figuring it all out

keepcalmandwriteon is on a distinguished road
Good question. I have a follow up question. Does the title of anovel have to be completely unique? I've ditched many titles when I found out they were already titles for other books or movies.
keepcalmandwriteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
rwm4768

rwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudgerwm4768 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
For one of my titles, I went with the name of the spell that is the central focus of the story and came up with White Fire.

For the other, I referenced the antagonist's situation and came up with The Man in the Crystal Prison.

Most of the time, though, I suck at titles. I have so many untitled works in progress it's ridiculous.

WIP:
Sunweaver (Epic Fantasy): 104K Querying
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 163K Revising
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #18
romancewriter

romancewriter is on a distinguished road
Just a thought. Sometimes I poke around on Amazon in categories similar to what I'm writing to see if that inspires something. Granted this isn't an exact science, but sometimes it helps.
romancewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #19
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepcalmandwriteon View Post
Good question. I have a follow up question. Does the title of anovel have to be completely unique? I've ditched many titles when I found out they were already titles for other books or movies.
Nope - my title is also the title for at least two well known songs, a couple of books, a magazine, a movie and (I think) a video game.

Now, granted, you probably won't want to call it the same as another well known book in your genre, say 'Mistborn', 'Best Served Cold'* or 'Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone'. Apart from trade mark in Harry's case, the confusion won't help you.

Other than that though, the title world is the mollusc of your choice.

*There are two The Blade Itself's IIRC. Both released around the same time, but one is fantasy and one is a crime thriller. Only problem is makes it harder to google and find the one you want if it's not as popular...

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
K. Trian
J'decline l'honneur d'Ítre un angel

K. Trian is well-respected
I think if I knew, the novels I've written with my hubby would be named by now.
Well, one is, the one in the sig, but its sequel seriously eludes a title.
Coming up with book titles is hard. I get frustrated and then I want to name them something stupid. Like A HAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
My book in my sig is kinda partially named for a song - but the Black is a very important thing (to my MC) If he fades to his black he is screwed...
Morbidly enough, 'Fade to Black' by M'tallica was one of my favorite songs as a kid.

Our tactical center on the interwebz can be found and followed here: http://tktrian.wordpress.com/

Sci-fi -- fantasy -- horror
K. Trian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #21
Purple Rose

Purple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
Think on your themes
Trawl quotable lines from your book that touch on that theme, or on an important element

Check quotes/sayings etc for inspiration. Check lines in your book that encapsulate what it is about.

This is a great start. This was what I did and there were quite a few possibilities from this exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romancewriter View Post
Just a thought. Sometimes I poke around on Amazon in categories similar to what I'm writing to see if that inspires something. Granted this isn't an exact science, but sometimes it helps.
This helps a lot, too. I did this as the second step.

Overall, it was still very difficult for me. The title was the hardest part and I often get asked how I came up with my title. After toying around with about five or six options during work in progress and then another five while the ms was with professional editors (all three of whom disliked all my title options), I thought about how I felt at my lowest.

The words "desperate" and "hopeful" popped into my mind. As I refer to a statue of the Goddess of Mercy in my book, I came up with this title. I asked the editor I trusted the most and she loved it. Everyone I spoke to liked it. So did my publisher.

Looking back at my list of 67 title options over the past two years, this was the only one that just sailed into my head. The rest were created after much thought and some agony. While I thought some were good, even if the editors disliked them, none captured the essence of my book quite like the one I now have.

I think some times it just happens. The title just comes to you, just like that.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My titles are always NSTC, project names no less.

But, I like them to sound good. So, I find something that encompasses what the main story element is about. Advent, is the advent of the series (far too many things going on to really pin anything. LifeFire is about the fire wielding clan in my book. Book 3 is NSTC, but harder than hell to think up of one.
My series name The Emperor's Right, is a play on words about the main element of the story: The Emperor's Right hand man, his knight.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #23
CallyW
figuring it all out

CallyW is on a distinguished road
I hate titles. Most of my WIPs are named after the MCs. Small Change is my sci fi which is named after the idea that a small change can have vast consequences.

For my fantasy it took ages. I based it first on a plotline which then got cut out. So I wrote the names, theme and so on on a sheet of paper and just wrote random stuff connected with it. My main theme is that people who are weak can have power and those who are in power can be weak. So I picked The Illusion of Power.

I don't know whether that will work for you but it did for me.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #24
Kitty27
So Goth That I Was Born Black
AW Moderator

Kitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My friend has the same issue. We play a sort of Word scrabble. We look at themes in the books and we write down words like sword,dark,elves,etc.

Then we flip them around and around until we come up with titles. This works,plus it's fun!

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Novel,Coming 2014.
Vampire Writer 4 life and don't GAF.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
RC Wilcox,RIP

Kitty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #25
reiver33
Monolithic

reiver33 has a spectacular aurareiver33 has a spectacular aura
I tend towards semi-poetic phrases;

Whisper My Name
Let Every Voice Be Still
Under Darkening Skies
No One Shall Weep
The Bright And Hollow Sky (a line from 'The Passenger')

I find that some things just stick in your head and beg to be used.