Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"American Guns" canceled

Public opinion can have an effect:

http://now.msn.com/american-guns-canceled-by-discovery

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
ladyleeona
fluently sarcastic grandma offender

ladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to behold
Ah yes. Let's cancel the show with 'guns' in the title, but continue airing the one called Amish Mafia.

And if by 'public opinion' you mean '...hundreds of Facebook users', then yeah. It can. It's ridiculous, but it happens. Let's censor everything--quick!

Support equal education for women: #WeAreGirlRising
www.girlrising.com
ladyleeona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyleeona View Post
Ah yes. Let's cancel the show with 'guns' in the title, but continue airing the one called Amish Mafia.

And if by 'public opinion' you mean '...hundreds of Facebook users', then yeah. It can. It's ridiculous, but it happens. Let's censor everything--quick!
Meh, it's people openly questioning the romance of the gun. Cervantes lives again.
Xelebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
shadowwalker
empty-nester!

shadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthood
Hadn't heard of the show myself, but... another knee-jerk reaction. Watch for more of that.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
ladyleeona

ladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Meh, it's people openly questioning the romance of the gun. Cervantes lives again.
And yet Discovery's cover photo on their Facebook page shows a 'mafia' guy holding some sort of sawed-off looking thing with a pistol grip.

Fail.

www.girlrising.com
Old 12-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #6
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
And yet Discovery's cover photo on their Facebook page shows a 'mafia' guy holding some sort of sawed-off looking thing with a pistol grip.

Fail.
If you have objections to Amish Mafia, raise it up.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
Roger J Carlson
Moderation in All Things
AW Moderator

Roger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Hadn't heard of the show myself, but... another knee-jerk reaction. Watch for more of that.
Still, the more reality shows cancelled, the better.
Roger J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #8
shadowwalker
empty-nester!

shadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger J Carlson View Post
Still, the more reality shows cancelled, the better.
Very true.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
Shadow_Ferret
Ferret Untombed

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd prefer they canceled Bamazon and Save the Rainforest.

American Guns was boring anyway.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:26 AM   #10
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quick, somebody get a picture of Honey Boo Boo with a gun.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:28 AM   #11
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
Quick, somebody get a picture of Honey Boo Boo with a gun.
Which one?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #12
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
I'd prefer they canceled Bamazon and Save the Rainforest.

American Guns was boring anyway.
What was it about? I'd never heard of it.

That show about the pawn shop in Las Vegas bugs me when they go shoot the old, strange weapons they get (out in the desert). I know you have to have special licenses and permits, but it still bugs me. They need to show that part, at very least.

I wish they wouldn't show it at all.

-- A Dublin cabbie once told me his favorite show was our reality show about crab fishermen I hadn't known they got that one there I heard it was good -- no slam on the guy.

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #13
ladyleeona

Quote:
If you have objections to Amish Mafia, raise it up.
I have. Any show that depicts shooting out someone's windshield as a means of conflict resolution (under the guise of reality) is questionable. That happened on AM when someone didn't pay up on their debt in a timely fashion. Where's the outrage and news coverage there?

I didn't find American Guns to be particularly compelling, but it did stress safety and responsibility. Which is to be expected, IMO, given the company is owned and run by a guy who spent 20+ years in law enforcement.

www.girlrising.com
Old 12-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #14
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashbaby View Post
What was it about? I'd never heard of it.
I've seen a few bits of it. It's a gunsmith who repairs and builds various kinds of weapons including maybe-military-grade weapons. Like taking an assault rifle (like an M4) and fitting it with a shotgun attachment at the bottom. I think I may have seen them discharge a cannon or two.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:01 AM   #15
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Quote:
I have. Any show that depicts shooting out someone's windshield as a means of conflict resolution (under the guise of reality) is questionable. That happened on AM when someone didn't pay up on their debt in a timely fashion. Where's the outrage and news coverage there?
It doesn't get broadcasted here so I don't know what the show is. It would seem there are several shows that need to fit itself on the chopping block.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #16
ladyleeona

Quote:
It doesn't get broadcasted here so I don't know what the show is. It would seem there are several shows that need to fit itself on the chopping block.
I wholeheartedly agree.

www.girlrising.com
Old 12-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #17
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
That show about the pawn shop in Las Vegas bugs me when they go shoot the old, strange weapons they get (out in the desert). I know you have to have special licenses and permits, but it still bugs me. They need to show that part, at very least.
Actually, they don't. They've made this point numerous times on the show: Federal law makes any gun manufactured prior to 1898 an "antique firearm", for which you don't need any special license. They won't accept any weapon of more recent vintage, because they are not gun dealers, and have no licenses for that.

The weapons they do purchase are generally very expensive collector pieces. No one is likely to use one of these for any form of criminal violence or even personal protection, both because of their value and because of their long-obsolete technology. You can go out and buy a Glock 9mm pistol or an AR-15 for much less money than the value of most of these collector guns, and it will be a hell of a lot more effective.

caw

Old 12-19-2012, 02:10 AM   #18
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It was a dull show, they probably just needed a good excuse to ditch it.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #19
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
Actually, they don't. They've made this point numerous times on the show: Federal law makes any gun manufactured prior to 1898 an "antique firearm", for which you don't need any special license. They won't accept any weapon of more recent vintage, because they are not gun dealers, and have no licenses for that.

The weapons they do purchase are generally very expensive collector pieces. No one is likely to use one of these for any form of criminal violence or even personal protection, both because of their value and because of their long-obsolete technology. You can go out and buy a Glock 9mm pistol or an AR-15 for much less money than the value of most of these collector guns, and it will be a hell of a lot more effective.

caw
Good to know, definitely. I assumed it must have been a permit thing.

Next you'll tell me out far enough out in the desert, there's not even need for a permit to fire them. I'll be shocked and outraged! (I've never, ever even been to the desert ).

It still bugs me that they like showing so many things go boom.

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #20
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

Quote:
Next you'll tell me out far enough out in the desert, there's not even need for a permit to fire them.
Correct. That's the next thing I'll tell you. But I think they generally go out to a certified firing range to test these things.

The Mythbusters play around a lot with weapons in similar fashion.

caw

Old 12-19-2012, 02:44 AM   #21
MattW
Company Man

MattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMattW is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Next you'll tell me out far enough out in the desert, there's not even need for a permit to fire them. I'll be shocked and outraged! (I've never, ever even been to the desert ).
In Vegas, "taking a ride to the desert" is usually code for "take me to where the hookers are."

Unless you owe someone money, then it's a one way trip...
Old 12-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #22
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Apparently the Premiere festivities for "Django" have been cancelled as well.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:20 AM   #23
benbradley
It's a doggy dog world

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just heard an NPR All Things Considered story telling about many TV show and episode cancellations related to the shooting. The one I recall was a Christmas special in which a reindeer was killed.
benbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #24
Atlantis
practical experience, FTW

Atlantis is a glorious beacon of lightAtlantis is a glorious beacon of light
Censoring anything to do with guns/death/killing over this thing is so stupid and wrong. It's really dancing around the real issue of gun control. It's so dumb to blame this on anything other then the truth: the man had access to too many guns. Nah, let's blame it on video games, Kesha, Family Guy, American Dad, reality tv, swearing, Honey Boo Boo, the list goes on.
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #25
BenPanced
Tonight on Mythbusters

BenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBenPanced is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A TV show was canceled by the network that produced it. I see no censorship.