Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Self-Publishing: Print, Digital, Papyrus or Clay
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Ann Joyce
It's all about grace

Ann Joyce is well-respected
Should I put this in my ebook blurb?

I'm over at Amazon working on getting pubbed. Writing my blurb. While my book is not a Christian book, per se, it does have inspirational elements in it. I'm wondering if I should say that at the end of the blurb.

Inspirational elements Yes or no?

Heart Song on Amazon
Ann Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Spell-it-out
I'm gonna give all my secrets away

Spell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of lightSpell-it-out is a glorious beacon of light
Ann,

I may be wrong, but having inspirational aspects does not necessarily mean that the Christian themes will stand out, does it?

Inspirational elements? I'd say go for it.
Inspirational elements/theme should be seen as a positive selling point IMO, and one that you could use throughout your promotion.
Spell-it-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Ann Joyce
It's all about grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spell-it-out View Post
Ann,

I may be wrong, but having inspirational aspects does not necessarily mean that the Christian themes will stand out, does it?

Inspirational elements? I'd say go for it.
Inspirational elements/theme should be seen as a positive selling point IMO, and one that you could use throughout your promotion.
Thanks, Sio. You're right. My MC refers back from time to time to her Gran teaching her things from the 'good book', such as forgiveness, love, etc. I'm thinking it wouldn't be good to have someone that hated things like that to get upset when they stumble across it in the story. So, if I add 'inspirational elements' to my blurb, it gives them a heads up. No off-putting surprises that way.

For some reason, Amazon seems hung up on uploading my cover image. I can't seem to get calibre...I'm probably doing something wrong. *sigh*

Heart Song on Amazon
Old 12-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yes! Use inspirational. Also use it when you tag your book, after it is live on the actual Amazon book page.

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If the inspiration elements will be enough to attract some readers (leading to extra sales) and annoy others (leading to bad reviews), you should mention them.

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #6
Ann Joyce
It's all about grace

Thanks, Merri and veinglory. I have added it and it seems right to me. I especially appreciate all of your responses since I've never walked this way before.

Heart Song on Amazon
Old 12-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
Michael Davis
practical experience, FTW

Michael Davis is well-respected
Consider your target audience. If its to be sold primarily in religious stores (which there are more than you'd think) then do it, otherwise I would not. Right or wrong in our shifting secular society many potential readers might be turned off. For example, half my released stories have elements that ponder divine questions, but not explicitly. I've never mentioned that in any of my promo material or blurbs, yet I've had reviewers site it made them ponder the eternal questions, and still gave me 4 or 5 stars. IOW, unless your shooting specifically for the inspirational market, don't mention explicitly.

Tainted Hero, "Sometimes good people do bad things"
Blind Consent, "The answers lie in the secrets of the past."
Shadow of Guilt, "To every crossing of paths, there is a reason."
Touch of Blue, "What is our destiny?"
Veil of Deception , "Sometimes truth cuts deeper than a lie."

Michael Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
Ann Joyce
It's all about grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Davis View Post
Consider your target audience. If its to be sold primarily in religious stores (which there are more than you'd think) then do it, otherwise I would not. Right or wrong in our shifting secular society many potential readers might be turned off. For example, half my released stories have elements that ponder divine questions, but not explicitly. I've never mentioned that in any of my promo material or blurbs, yet I've had reviewers site it made them ponder the eternal questions, and still gave me 4 or 5 stars. IOW, unless your shooting specifically for the inspirational market, don't mention explicitly.
I must say, I'm re-thinking it after reading your comments. In one sense, even a negative critique because of the inspirational elements could actually turn in my favor. Hmmmm...think I'll sleep on it.

I won't be selling it in religious stores and I did not write expressly for the inspirational market. My motive for this particular novel was to write a good story with morals (not exlusively) and real life issues. Thank you for giving me more food for thought.

Heart Song on Amazon
Old 12-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I see 'inspirational' as giving answers ('Faith will make your life better') not simply raising questions ('I wonder how being religious might effect a person's choices'). That is why it can alienate people.

veinglory is offline   Reply With Quote