Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Horror
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
TedTheewen
President of the Cray Fan Club

Location: In the Land of Make Believe, where unicorns play and women are attracted to me.
TedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Official Horror Hound Anthology Thread

Hi Houndies!

Okay, so this thread is for the discussion of the Horror Hounds Anthology. This is the place for us to decide which way we want to go and how we want to proceed.

I have gotten the go-ahead from MacAllister and we are now cleared by an Official AW Mod to move forward with this project.

So, we have a whole list of decisions to make. Publishing, schedules, who will edit, who will be on the committee to decide what gets in, how big it will be, etc.

There is no shortage of options here. This is our project and we can do whatever we want (in a relative sort of way.)

In fact, it would very cool if we got a sticky on this. And depending on how popular it becomes, we might need a sub-forum. But we'll open that coffin when we dig it up.

Ted

TedTheewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
TedTheewen

Location: In the Land of Make Believe, where unicorns play and women are attracted to me.
TedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTedTheewen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So, here's what I would think would be a cool anthology.

First, we should have this released on electronic media. Kindle, etc. Getting it published in print is pricey and electronic media is growing rapidly. I'm firmly convinced that with the right marketing, we can get enough sales for our work to get out there. I see this project as a venue to showcase the talent we have here.

Second, I think we should consider the idea of a themed anthology. Why? Because we all seem to thrive on themes and challenges. Plus, there are some themes we've discussed in our lounge that might work well, like a food theme. Food horror. It's trendy. Right now food-related publications are really growing in popularity and have been for some times. The marketing tie-ins are almost limitless.

Third, we have some amazing artists on AW who do more than write. Showcasing them somehow would be something we could do as well.

Fourth, I think if we set up a deadline for the finished product, we could certainly achieve September 1, 2013. This would be for obvious reasons (ahem, Halloween marketing begins) and it would give us lots of time to make sure the various marketing tie-ins are achieved. Mario Batali must give us a shout-out on The Chew!

That's the 2-cents I have now. More will come to me later and I'd love to hear what everybody else is thinking.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
OhTheHorror
jlw

OhTheHorror is on a distinguished road
This sounds like fun. I especially like the idea of doing a food themed anthology. Can anyone contribute?

OhTheHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
TedTheewen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhTheHorror View Post
This sounds like fun. I especially like the idea of doing a food themed anthology. Can anyone contribute?
Of course!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
dolores haze
ageing savage

dolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have just the story. It's already been published, but the zine folded and I never got around to resubbing it. Previously pubbed stories okay?

I'd also be up for helping out in other areas.
dolores haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I am most likely in for a subbing a story. And I'd be happy to help with something else along the way, too, Ted. I can't wait to hear how this progresses!
soapdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
TedTheewen

We might want to focus on un-published works, but I'm not sure. We should figure out a voting-thing or something for some of these decisions.

I'm really hoping we can get lots of Hounds subbing to this so we can really have something to show off the talent we have around here.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #8
LaurieD
aka Skwirrel

LaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I so want to be in!!

Old 12-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
TedTheewen

Somebody sent me a link for a company that publishes soft and hardcover books. We might be able to publish on paper as well. What do you guys think?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
soapdish
writing

soapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssoapdish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I like the idea of paper but only if it makes sense $$ wise (and I have no creds to judge this at all). And only if it can be done well. I think the artwork would translate better in print especially. I love my ebooks and epubs but I still REALLY like paper in my hands.
soapdish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
LaurieD
aka Skwirrel

LaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Idk - to be honest, I couldn't sell socks to Eskimos. I love my paper books, but I don't know anything about successful marketing and selling of self-pubbed/POD material.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #12
TedTheewen

I've been in sales for years. I've sold all kinds of stuff. I'm no expert on books, though, but I'm sure we could put together a nice marketing campaign that would ensure enough sales to cover costs. I have a pretty good feeling about this.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
LaurieD
aka Skwirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTheewen View Post
So, here's what I would think would be a cool anthology.

First, we should have this released on electronic media. Kindle, etc. Getting it published in print is pricey and electronic media is growing rapidly. I'm firmly convinced that with the right marketing, we can get enough sales for our work to get out there. I see this project as a venue to showcase the talent we have here.
First, I think an antho is a great idea.

Do we want to consider subbing it to traditional pub co's or venture out independently?

Quote:
Second, I think we should consider the idea of a themed anthology. Why? Because we all seem to thrive on themes and challenges. Plus, there are some themes we've discussed in our lounge that might work well, like a food theme. Food horror. It's trendy. Right now food-related publications are really growing in popularity and have been for some times. The marketing tie-ins are almost limitless.
As a reader, I like the flow found in a themed collection - when it's done well. Themed collections I've read that have not been done so well have been borderline redundant in their plots/characters - someting we'll have to find a way to avoid.

Quote:
Third, we have some amazing artists on AW who do more than write. Showcasing them somehow would be something we could do as well.
Fantastic idea! Sketches between the selections or on the title page of each selection would be neat.

Quote:
Fourth, I think if we set up a deadline for the finished product, we could certainly achieve September 1, 2013. This would be for obvious reasons (ahem, Halloween marketing begins) and it would give us lots of time to make sure the various marketing tie-ins are achieved. Mario Batali must give us a shout-out on The Chew!
Eight months - do-able.

Questions:

1) How involved do we want to be with each other's work - like editing/critting involved?

A) Do we want to form a list of volunteers for writers to submit their stories to for editing?
B) Do we want writers to submit stories to SYW under an antho heading?
C) Do we want writers to independently be responsible for their own editing?

2) Re: avoiding redundency - Pesonally, I'd rather know at the rough draft stage whether or not I've landed on a smilar tract as someone else in the antho but do we really want to look at a slew of roughs? I'd hate to be told/have to tell somebody that all the work they put into making their final copy shine was for naught, that their work and another writer's ring a bell too similar to be in the same compilation.

Or it could be that the anthos I've read with selections similar enough to make me double check the authors/titles were just bad examples - which could be, the ones I'm thinking of were in small presses, since closed.

Food is a pretty broad theme though, so it's probably nothing to really worry about.

3) Story length - flash, short, novella? Any and all of the above?

That's all the cobwebs have caught so far. I'll give it some more thought though.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
ASC McLaren
Intended for mature audiences

ASC McLaren is a glorious beacon of lightASC McLaren is a glorious beacon of lightASC McLaren is a glorious beacon of light
I like it! We need a solid theme. Maybe those who want to participate should submit an outline or draft to a SYW thread. I would rather get started sooner.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #15
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

Location: A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
FOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm in too. Maybe we should think about forming that organizing committee before deciding on a theme?
FOTSGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #16
OhTheHorror
jlw

Quote:
Of course!
Awesome!

I do like the food theme. I have an idea for it already, but whatever the committee decides will be no worries.

I'm all excited now.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
TedTheewen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOTSGreg View Post
I'm in too. Maybe we should think about forming that organizing committee before deciding on a theme?

That's what I was hoping for.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I know bugger all about sales or marketing or committees or planning or anything, really, but count me in for coming up with a story.

My site My twitter My facebook
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #19
TedTheewen

So who wants to be on the Organizing Committee? It might be best for us to get together in a chat room someplace.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:36 AM   #20
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

Location: A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible things lurk just beneath the surface of reality
FOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFOTSGreg is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Always the problem with such ideas - everyone wants to help, but few want to actually volunteer to do the heavy lifting (that's a joke, folks - as in I'm poking fun).

Okay, I'm reticent due to current workload, but I'll sit on the committee.

<wishes he knew who "fun" was>
Old 12-20-2012, 04:40 AM   #21
OhTheHorror
jlw

I'll help any way I can, but I'm still a novice. I can stack boxes and make coffee.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #22
FOTSGreg
Today is your last day.

I'll have you feed the zombies till you're, um, "broken in".

But coffee's good too.

We already got us an intern, Ted!
Old 12-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #23
OhTheHorror
jlw

*limbers up and pumps shotgun*

Okay, where's the zombie.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
dolores haze
ageing savage

dolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
So who wants to be on the Organizing Committee? It might be best for us to get together in a chat room someplace.
I'd be happy to help out. Facebook has a cool private group setting that works very well.

Dunno about the paper book thing. I can offer time and skills, but I'm not able to afford a financial contribution.
dolores haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #25
LaurieD
aka Skwirrel

Yeah, likewise.

And Dolores is right - Facebook's closed group is a cool thing - idk if everyone here is on fb though (I can think of two hounds that have said not that long ago that they aren't).

Re: the organizing committe - I'm all for helping out however you need me to but I need to know what's expected before I commit to more than my schedule can tolerate.