Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Afghanistan Explosion - 10 Children Dead

This is going to go down as one of the most horrible months for news, and once more it is innocent children who are affected by the actions of adults. Ten girls, this time.

I keep hoping that there's going to be something which is a little less depressing reported, but this is not the time to turn to news channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Land mines are nasty, nasty business. Too easily laid down, and too easily forgotten until things hit the point they can no longer be ignored.

And on top of the tragedy in the article, they mention that 700,000 have been cleared already. 700,000 and there was still at least one more hiding underground.

Hopefully the two little girls who survived will recover from their injuries quickly.

Cyia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #3
ladyleeona
fluently sarcastic grandma offender

ladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to beholdladyleeona is a splendid one to behold
It's horrifying to think that many mines have been removed and this atrocity still happened. And will probably continue to happen.

Makes my heart really, really heavy.
the horselord book//plotting along.

Support equal education for women: #WeAreGirlRising
www.girlrising.com
ladyleeona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Land mines are fucking evil little bastards.

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (being planned)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 AM   #5
muravyets
Old revolutionary

muravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ditto, Zoombie. They seem so small by comparison to, say, nukes or chemical weapons, but they do far, far more damage and create far, far more suffering just by their sheer numbers lurking underfoot. Evil-minded weapon.

Rule of thumb: Mura is not subtle.

The Grand Navigators, collaborative fantasy adventure party.
Cafe Muravyets, hang out of lazy writers.
Art: Portfolio and Studio Blog.
Me on Facebook.
muravyets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I keep saying I'm going to stop posting in P&CE until a time when I can type without feeling as if my chest is going to implode, but here I go again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muravyets View Post
Evil-minded weapon.
No. They aren't minded at all. They are one of the stupidest weapons imaginable, and when they aren't killing, they are inflicting terrible injuries. They don't care who gets caught in the blast, and their presence in the world makes it a much darker place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #7
Haggis
No longer green
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
Land mines are fucking evil little bastards.
What Zoombie said. With an added proviso. So are the people who plant them and don't dispose of them or leave maps. They almost always seem to kill kids.
Miss Angel Chihuahua

Haggis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
muravyets
Old revolutionary

muravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
I keep saying I'm going to stop posting in P&CE until a time when I can type without feeling as if my chest is going to implode, but here I go again...

No. They aren't minded at all. They are one of the stupidest weapons imaginable, and when they aren't killing, they are inflicting terrible injuries. They don't care who gets caught in the blast, and their presence in the world makes it a much darker place.
Well, yeah, the weapons are stupid, but it was evil-mindedness that created them. That's what I meant. It takes a particular kind of maliciousness to decide something that random and passively dangerous is the way to go. I mean, how can such a thing be motivated by anything but blind hatred, except maybe absolute lack of ability to care. Either way, I say pure malice is at the root of the whole idea of land mines.

Rule of thumb: Mura is not subtle.

The Grand Navigators, collaborative fantasy adventure party.
Cafe Muravyets, hang out of lazy writers.
Art: Portfolio and Studio Blog.
Me on Facebook.
muravyets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
raburrell
Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee

raburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsraburrell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Even leaving maps doesn't help - mines can dislodge in seasonal flooding and float hundreds of yards (or more) away from where they were planted. Armies know where they are. Civilians don't. IMO, anyone who goes merrily strewing them across the countryside is committing an atrocity.

May those poor girls rest in peace.
raburrell is online now   Reply With Quote