Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
willietheshakes
Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.

willietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Domino's Pizza founder sues federal government over mandated contraception coverage

I think I have to quit the internet - it's a world far too full of stupid for me to endure.

Domino's Pizza founder sues federal government over mandatory contraceptive coverage...

Glad I support my local, indie pizza place.

Black Feathers -- 2015
Walk Like A Man -- 2011
Bedtime Story -- 2010
The World More Full of Weeping -- 2009
Before I Wake -- 2006
willietheshakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Me too. Dominoes used to give money to Operation Rescue as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name
Celia Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Snowstorm
Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't understand how an employer thinks just because they find it immoral about birth control or abortion that they can disallow others. Sickening. I'm sick of people forcing their personal views on others.

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
Opty
Pure, undiluted awesome

Opty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What is it with pizza company founders and kooky partisan bullshit? Wasn't it just last month that the founder of Papa John's was so inexplicably butt hurt over Obamacare that he claimed he was gonna have to either raise the price of a pizza by 14 pennies or start immediately cutting hours and laying people off to compensate for the supposed financial hardship the health insurance requirement was gonna put in the company?

He said he needed to do this now for a requirement that doesn't take effect until 2014?

I especially enjoyed the sweet smell of bullshit emanating from him when - although he was a big Romney donor, his announcement came right after the election, and the law doesn't take effect for nearly a year and a half - he tried to claim with a straight face that his announcement had nothing to do with politics.

[Dr. Evil voice]
Oh, riiiiiiight, riiight.
[/quote]

As far as Domino's goes, I don't think Monaghan (founder) has much to do with them anymore. He sold the company back in the 90s. To...wait for it...Bain Capital.

"The mind is its own place and, in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." John Milton
Opty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
muravyets
Old revolutionary

muravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, yeah, nothing to do with politics at all. Nothing to do with pizza either. I prefer my local indie. Their pizza is made out of food and they keep their opinions to themselves.

Rule of thumb: Mura is not subtle.

The Grand Navigators, collaborative fantasy adventure party.
Cafe Muravyets, hang out of lazy writers.
Art: Portfolio and Studio Blog.
Me on Facebook.
muravyets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool. It will be good to see it, and him, go through court.

fwliw - Dominos is the closest pizza shop to my house. They make my favorite pizza. They just lost my business.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook

More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by willietheshakes View Post
I think I have to quit the internet - it's a world far too full of stupid for me to endure.

Domino's Pizza founder sues federal government over mandatory contraceptive coverage...

Glad I support my local, indie pizza place.
I absolutely don't agree with him, but the situation he is suing for is a real debate in federal (employment) law.

Is it the American federal justice system that is too stupid for you to stand, or this guy's personal views?

If it's his views, I definitely agree with the other side of what his case is likely to be.

Individual cases are so often how we get federal rights (including civil rights) decided by higher courts, that I can't fault him for taking his case to court if he feels it's a legitimate question of federal rights. It's not a stupid case in that way, imho. There are real arguments. I disagree with them, but they are legitimate.

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
Opty
Pure, undiluted awesome

Opty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
Cool. It will be good to see it, and him, go through court.

fwliw - Dominos is the closest pizza shop to my house. They make my favorite pizza. They just lost my business.
Well, to be fair to Domino's, this guy doesn't really have anything to do with them anymore, so I think it should be fine for you to enjoy their pizza.

"The mind is its own place and, in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." John Milton
Opty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The proper response; Don't eat shitty pizza.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we have Gov. Bobby Jindal now advocating for over-the-counter birth control sales. This issue is front-and-center now for social conservatives, along with a whole bunch of others.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opty View Post
Well, to be fair to Domino's, this guy doesn't really have anything to do with them anymore, so I think it should be fine for you to enjoy their pizza.
Yeah. I don't know what "Domino's Farms" is exactly, but that's the company name he's having as a plaintiff, it says.

Quote:
He filed a lawsuit Friday in federal court. It also lists as a plaintiff Domino's Farms, a Michigan office park complex that Monaghan owns.
(same link as OP)

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Komnena
In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah

Komnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
I don't understand how an employer thinks just because they find it immoral about birth control or abortion that they can disallow others. Sickening. I'm sick of people forcing their personal views on others.
But if the employer thinks it is immoral should they have to pay for it? Isn't it then the government forcing things on them?

Komnena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komnena View Post
But if the employer thinks it is immoral should they have to pay for it? Isn't it then the government forcing things on them?
No. Any responsibility they have for health care, they knew about when they started their business. As long as they're not being forced to use birth control themselves, I don't really have much sympathy for them.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Quote:
I think you are right....so why, then, is he suing?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
Komnena
In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah

Komnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Domino's was founded in 1960, a long time before the passing of Obamacare. The birth control was not a requirement when they started their business. If the government can force things on a powerful pizza company, what can it do to citizens without much influence?

Komnena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #15
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Domino's was founded in 1960, a long time before the passing of Obamacare. The birth control was not a requirement when they started their business. If the government can force things on a powerful pizza company, what can it do to citizens without much influence?
I'm confused. Are you saying companies can be routinely grandfathered in to not obeying laws?

In that case, why is Sears paying its employees more than 50 cents an hour, the going wage when it was founded in 1893?

Alessandra Kelley, Fine Art, Illustration, and Egg Tempera Instruction
"Confessions of a Postmodern Pre-Raphaelite" -- my blog
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #16
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sheesh, this whole contraception thing you guys are getting into right now rather boggles the mind of this European.

Contraception should be free, as it is over here. That's the best way to prevent illness, unwanted pregnancies and the termination of same.

Watching the way the Sandra Fluke ugliness unfolded, I'm coming to the conclusion that the whole issue as currently debated in the USA is just a dog-whistle for patriarchy. That, in fact, much religion is in fact these days a fig leaf for patriarchal control of women. It's not about the constitution and it's not about scripture.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #17
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post

Watching the way the Sandra Fluke ugliness unfolded, I'm coming to the conclusion that the whole issue as currently debated in the USA is just a dog-whistle for patriarchy. That, in fact, much religion is in fact these days a fig leaf for patriarchal control of women. It's not about the constitution and it's not about scripture.
i think you are, at least partially, correct. But I believe it to be a larger experience, more about the fierce last gasps of an older generation trying to hold on to the world "as it was," the world as they lived in and built.

People don't want to see the institutions they were raised to hold as truth, or the structures they build, whether they be physical or societal, shown to be weak, false, failing or even merely insufficient to those they have worked to provide for.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook

More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
Snowstorm

Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
The government isn't forcing the individuals personally to take birth control or have an abortion. The government is requiring the company to pay for them. Like Celia Cyanide stated upthread, I have no sympathies for someone who would deny a woman access to birth control or an abortion.

And Torgo: This American's mind is boggled. Birth control should be readily available to everyone.

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

Blog Twitter Facebook

Old 12-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #19
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
What is it with pizza company founders and kooky partisan bullshit? Wasn't it just last month that the founder of Papa John's was so inexplicably butt hurt over Obamacare that he claimed he was gonna have to either raise the price of a pizza by 14 pennies or start immediately cutting hours and laying people off to compensate for the supposed financial hardship the health insurance requirement was gonna put in the company?

He said he needed to do this now for a requirement that doesn't take effect until 2014?

I especially enjoyed the sweet smell of bullshit emanating from him when - although he was a big Romney donor, his announcement came right after the election, and the law doesn't take effect for nearly a year and a half - he tried to claim with a straight face that his announcement had nothing to do with politics.

[Dr. Evil voice]
Oh, riiiiiiight, riiight.
[/voice]

As far as Domino's goes, I don't think Monaghan (founder) has much to do with them anymore. He sold the company back in the 90s. To...wait for it...Bain Capital.
Maybe there is a problem in the pizza industry and the food services industry in general?
Xelebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #20
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
. The government is requiring the company to pay for them. .
They are requiring the company to provide an insurance plan, to which the worker probably contributes at least 50%. The only other option being not having access to proper health care at all.

They then want to force the insurance provider to not provide kinds of health care they don't like.

Whilst also not providing paid maternity leave. Basically their fertile female employers are being treated like crap either way unless they follow the only approved company approach of remaining a virgin. It's like the 18th century all over again.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #21
Snowstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
They are requiring the company to provide an insurance plan, to which the worker probably contributes at least 50%. ... They then want to force the insurance provider to not provide kinds of health care they don't like. Whilst also not providing paid maternity leave. Basically their fertile female employers are being treated like crap either way.
Thanks for the clarification, veinglory. I'm not real clear on the specifics.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Old 12-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #22
Roger J Carlson
Moderation in All Things
AW Moderator

Roger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
The government isn't forcing the individuals personally to take birth control or have an abortion. The government is requiring the company to pay for them. Like Celia Cyanide stated upthread, I have no sympathies for someone who would deny a woman access to birth control or an abortion.

And Torgo: This American's mind is boggled. Birth control should be readily available to everyone.
Well, it's not as if birth control is only available to those who have it paid for by someone else.

According to Planned Parenthood:
  • Easy to get with a prescription
  • Cost about $15$50 each month
Condoms are even more economical.

I don't see how Dominoes refusing to pay for its employees birth control is "denying" it to its employees any more than not paying its employee's food bills is denying them food.
Roger J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #23
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger J Carlson View Post
Well, it's not as if birth control is only available to those who have it paid for by someone else.

According to Planned Parenthood:
  • Easy to get with a prescription
  • Cost about $15–$50 each month
Condoms are even more economical.

I don't see how Dominoes refusing to pay for its employees birth control is "denying" it to its employees any more than not paying its employee's food bills is denying them food.
If your only job is 30 hours a week in a pizza shop, you have no car, and you have no money--yes, $50 a month may be impossible. Or I could go the cheap option and have an implant that endangers my life.

Regardless, what healthcare I get is none of my employer's business. I am forced, compelled and required to get insurance through them. That is the sum total of their involvement. They don't get any input of any kind whatsoever into how I look after my womb.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #24
Roger J Carlson
Moderation in All Things
AW Moderator

Roger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoger J Carlson is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
Regardless, what healthcare I get is none of my employers damned business. I am forced, compelled and required to get insurance through them. That is the sum total of their involvement.
Agreed.

Still, it is not correct to say that Dominoes is "denying" them access to birth control.
Roger J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 PM   #25
willietheshakes
Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.

willietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentswillietheshakes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger J Carlson View Post
Agreed.

Still, it is not correct to say that Dominoes is "denying" them access to birth control.
Who was saying that?

Black Feathers -- 2015
Walk Like A Man -- 2011
Bedtime Story -- 2010
The World More Full of Weeping -- 2009
Before I Wake -- 2006
willietheshakes is offline   Reply With Quote