Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 02:39 AM   #1
bluejester12
I write and I wrong

bluejester12 has a spectacular aura
Another Cap(s) questions

My story has imps in it, and I refer to them in the lower case ie. The imp sat on a chair.

Do I cap impish here?

There's an old impish saying: don't count your snakes before they're born.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
Chase
Fall guy

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejester12 View Post
My story has imps in it, and I refer to them in the lower case ie. The imp sat on a chair.

Do I cap impish here?

There's an old impish saying: don't count your snakes before they're born.
I believe you're correct to cast both imp and impish in lower case, in the same manner as:

The dog wagged its tail, the doggish equivalent of a smile.

The little girl was cute in all girlish ways.
Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #3
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
As I so often do, I agree with Chase.

Maryn, complete with impish grin
Old 12-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Chase is impishly and doggishly on.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Chase
Fall guy

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Littlefield View Post
Chase is impishly and doggishly on.
She said cattishly.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Purple Rose
practical experience, FTW

Purple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPurple Rose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
As I so often do, I agree with Chase.
Yes, me too. I am not always on the same thread as Chase but when I am, I have never ever found myself disagreeing with him.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
bluejester12
I write and I wrong

bluejester12 has a spectacular aura
I thought so. It confused me because imp is a race and we would say Italian proverb (right?)
Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
asmira
Mid-Leap

asmira is on a distinguished road
We would say "Itallian proverb," but I suspect that is more to do with the fact that the root word "Italy" is a proper noun, whereas the root word "imp" is not.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
Chase
Fall guy

Such kindness. I had to check this morning's obits to see I needed to send flowers to me. Everyone was gracious to forget the time I couldn't find the subject of a question with both hands. Only one painful example.

Could it be you were thinking of examples such as Jewish and Danish, Bluejester? Of course, they have caps because Jew and Dane are already capitalized.

It's sort of like when we went to English and French classes and wanted to put caps on history and biology by association.

Didn't see Asmira's post before I posted.

Last edited by Chase; 12-17-2012 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Great minds, etc.