Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
26 images that remind you why it's worth getting up in the morning

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/momen...umanity-this-y

I think we all need this today.

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
regdog
Kreon Barricade
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks, Zoombie it was nice to shed happy tears

My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Teinz
The One Ring?

Location: Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
Teinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to behold
Crying my eyes out right now.

But thanks Zoombie, I'm gonna bookmark that one.
Teinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Zoombie
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
They are but a tiny fraction of the billion good deeds done every day.

And people ask what is wrong with our species...

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
aruna
On a wing and a prayer

aruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaruna is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Really moving. Thanks.

Facebook

Amazon US
Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"
- Gandhi
aruna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
Teinz
The One Ring?

Location: Cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came!
Teinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to beholdTeinz is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
They are but a tiny fraction of the billion good deeds done every day.

And people ask what is wrong with our species...
Our capacity for darkness is eternal. But greater still is our yearn for unity and love.
Teinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Maxinquaye
That cheeky buggerer

Maxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaxinquaye is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have to ask. Did people cheer the killer? Did people rally in his defence? Did people go down to that school and yell "right on!"? Did most of your friends and acquaintances nod and compare which bullet, full metal jackets or dumdums would have been more efficient in ripping up those kids?

Of course not. Everyone reacted with revulsion. Rightly so. So, why is that evil man representative of humanity? Is he not just the aberration, the exception to the rule that shows that overall humanity is decent and kind and compassionate?

Look at the outpouring of sympathy. Go and watch the opening minutes of "Love actually". Humanity is defined by love, kindness, and compassion. The ones that say it is not has just put up a guard to shield from those momentary episodes when most of us behave like arse-holes to one another.

We flare, behave badly, but those flares are not indicative of whole lives. We are not defined by our low moments. We may choose to focus on the low moments and declare someone an arse and never deal with them again.

But nobody is an arse 100 per cent of the time. My bet is that most aren't that even 10 per cent of the time. Most people are pretty decent, at most times.

Just look at what happened yesterday, and tell me that the people reacting celebrate the violence - which they would if the violence, meanness and wickedness was what defined them. My bet is that you can find nobody that wasn't revolted by what happened yesterday.
The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Barnes
"Yes, of course we were pretentious — what else is youth for?"
----
My blog and site:
Max on Everything

Last edited by Maxinquaye; 12-15-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Maxinquaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Damn, Max, another home run. Great statement.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxinquaye View Post
I have to ask. Did people cheer the killer? Did people rally in his defence? Did people go down to that school and yell "right on!"? Did most of your friends and acquaintances node and compare which bullet, full metal jackets or dumdums would have been more efficient in ripping up those kids?

Of course not. Everyone reacted with revulsion. Rightly so. So, why is that evil man representative of humanity? Is he not just the aberration, the exception to the rule that shows that overall humanity is decent and kind and compassionate?

Look at the outpouring of sympathy. Go and watch the opening minutes of "Love actually". Humanity is defined by love, kindness, and compassion. The ones that say it is not has just put up a guard to shield from those momentary episodes when most of us behave like arse-holes to one another.

We flare, behave badly, but those flares are not indicative of whole lives. We are not defined by our low moments. We may choose to focus on the low moments and declare someone an arse and never deal with them again.

But nobody is an arse 100 per cent of the time. My bet is that most aren't that even 10 per cent of the time. Most people are pretty decent, at most times.

Just look at what happened yesterday, and tell me that the people reacting celebrate the violence - which they would if the violence, meanness and wickedness was what defined them. My bet is that you can find nobody that wasn't revolted by what happened yesterday.
It isn't people like that killer, or everyone's reaction to it, that destroy our faith in humanity. People being revolted by what happened does nothing to restore my faith in humanity. Sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name
Celia Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #10
Satsya
slow and steady

Satsya is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide View Post
It isn't people like that killer, or everyone's reaction to it, that destroy our faith in humanity. People being revolted by what happened does nothing to restore my faith in humanity. Sorry.
Then if you don't mind my asking, what does destroy faith? In your case?
Satsya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
Ambrosia
Grand Duchess of Spring
AW Poet Laureate

Ambrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmbrosia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Very well said, Max.

I have given in to the Blog Bug. Visit my Duchy here.

"Hmmm .... Duchess after much thought you are clearly the Tribal Sage." Neporsche, Tribal Scribe

"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."

-- George Orwell's "1984"

Ambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #12
MarkEsq
Clever title pending.

Location: In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasis of Austin.
MarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satsya View Post
Then if you don't mind my asking, what does destroy faith? In your case?

For me, it would be working together to ban assault rifles while simultaneously campaigning for, and achieving, better access to mental health care.

ETA: Obviously, I read "destroy" as "restore."

Last edited by MarkEsq; 12-15-2012 at 07:04 PM.
MarkEsq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Amen, Mark. May it be so.
Maryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
JayMan
Like Burt Reynolds in Gator

JayMan is a shiny, shiny jewelJayMan is a shiny, shiny jewel
Thank you for this Zoombie.

I also agree with both Max and Mark.
JayMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
leahzero
The colors! THE COLORS!

leahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputation
Great thread, Zoombie. And Max, well freaking said.

My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.
leahzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
Snowstorm
Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*wipes away tears* Thank you, Zoombie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxinquaye View Post
I have to ask. Did people cheer the killer? ... Of course not. Everyone reacted with revulsion. Rightly so. So, why is that evil man representative of humanity? ... Look at the outpouring of sympathy. Go and watch the opening minutes of "Love actually". Humanity is defined by love, kindness, and compassion. ...

We flare, behave badly, but those flares are not indicative of whole lives. ... But nobody is an arse 100 per cent of the time. My bet is that most aren't that even 10 per cent of the time. Most people are pretty decent, at most times.

So beautifully stated, Maxinquaye! And so true.

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
Bebop
Self-Banned

Bebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admirationBebop has earned our admiration
Yes, thank you Zoombie, for posting this. I have no trouble understanding why one can lose faith in humanity. Just look around, every day there is another atrocity. But I cannot live like that. I would not want to get up in the morning if it were to just face another day of hopelessness. Our story is one of faith vs. fear, this is the story of man. Easy to give in to fear and hopelessness. Not so easy to fight to retain your faith in life, in the better instincts of man. I will not give up my faith without a fight. I fight every day for my faith in what is good in this world. That said, we all have a breaking point. Here's hoping that none of us find ours.

Last edited by Bebop; 12-16-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
Magdalen
Petulantly Penitent

Magdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMagdalen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Love it!! Thanks Zoom.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #19
muravyets
Old revolutionary

muravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmuravyets is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thank you, Zoombie, I really needed that.

Rule of thumb: Mura is not subtle.

The Grand Navigators, collaborative fantasy adventure party.
Cafe Muravyets, hang out of lazy writers.
Art: Portfolio and Studio Blog.
Me on Facebook.
muravyets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #20
Monkey
Watching Bollywood action scenes.

Monkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMonkey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is it misty in here, or is it just me?

A tribute album to a fallen friend: http://lonneys.bandcamp.com/album/as-sunhoner-anhedonia
Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #21
Zoombie
AW Moderator

Well, we've got a pretty terrible system set up. We're programmed to look for the worst (because the worst is what you should be afraid of) and we culturally propagate the worst as fast as possible. So, the world seems bloodier than it is.

It's important, I think, to remember that that's the exception, not the rule. As other people have said: We're living in the least violent era in human history.

I mean...which isn't saying as much as I'd like, but it still shows that we are (in general) heading in a good direction.

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #22
Lyv
looking beyond intentions

Lyv has a golden reputationLyv has a golden reputationLyv has a golden reputationLyv has a golden reputationLyv has a golden reputationLyv has a golden reputation
Aw, thank you.

I've said this before and it's going to sound cheesy, but I am fortunate enough, since becoming visibly disabled a few years back, to have constant daily reminders of how compassionate and caring and just plain awesome the vast majority of people are.
Lyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:34 AM   #23
crunchyblanket
the Juggernaut of Imperfection

crunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
great thread. Thanks for posting this.

My short story "When Charlie Sleeps" is in Best British Horror 2014. Buy it. It'll make you happier and sexier.

crunchyblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #24
Mclesh
It's too hot

Mclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thank you, Zoombie! This is being shared on Facebook, but I hadn't clicked the link until now. Tears in my eyes.

Facebook Twitter Website

Check out Grandma Susie's book of love poems on Createspace!

Mr. Katz is a Zombie is now available! Eeep!
Mclesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #25
Satsya
slow and steady

Satsya is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEsq View Post
For me, it would be working together to ban assault rifles while simultaneously campaigning for, and achieving, better access to mental health care.

ETA: Obviously, I read "destroy" as "restore."
S'okay. I realized later I should've asked both. I'd prefer to read a happy answer right now anyway, and I like yours a lot.

It was a good thread idea, Zoombie.
Satsya is offline   Reply With Quote