Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
gell214
practical experience, FTW

gell214 is on a distinguished road
Going crazy with POVs!

So in my current WIP, I just write and write and write... And when I went back to read it, I noticed that I had a few chapters where I used two POVs. I tried to edit but I'm just going crazy here.

What if, in just one chapter, I really need to show two POVs? What to do........

Le blog (under construction).

Le g+.
Le FaceBook.
Le Twitter.
gell214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wrote two POVs... yeah, I have no idea what you mean.

Did you switch narrators mid chapter? On purpose, or did it just slide over my mistake?

What's your problem with having multiple POVs? (Unless you did the switch in 1st... which... I just don't understand how that can occur...)

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
gell214

Oh hi Will, thanks for that joke BTW, had me scared for a while. I thought hung over Santa would not give me any gifts this Christmas :p.

Anyhoo...

Okay. So in one chapter, I have two of my MCs talking. I have to show my FMCs thoughts as well as my MMCs thoughts. But I've read that switching POVs gets confusing for the readers. So, you know... now I'm confused too :|.

Le g+.
Le FaceBook.
Le Twitter.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
First, POV choice should never be an accident.

Second, before you go crazy with multiple POVs, learn how to tell a story with a single well-controlled narrative point-of-view. You have to be able to control one POV before you can control multiple ones.

caw
Old 12-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
suzie

suzie is on a distinguished road
When I write with more than one POV, I choose which individual character's POV is best for each chapter. Only changing POV when a new chapter begins x
Old 12-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
As mentioned by Blacbird, you don't have to use both POV's in order to convey the reactions/emotions of both characters. Readers are not dumb.

You have to grasp how to use POV effectively.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by gell214 View Post
Oh hi Will, thanks for that joke BTW, had me scared for a while. I thought hung over Santa would not give me any gifts this Christmas :p.

Anyhoo...

Okay. So in one chapter, I have two of my MCs talking. I have to show my FMCs thoughts as well as my MMCs thoughts. But I've read that switching POVs gets confusing for the readers. So, you know... now I'm confused too :|.
Most novels don't show the thoughts of more than one character unless there is a scene break or new chapter. The PoV that can show more characters' thoughts more often is omniscient PoV. Even in omni, the author needs to be careful about doing it too much or not smoothly, etc.

Omni is a difficult PoV to write. I like writing in it, but it doesn't do the trick for many readers, and you really have to have familiarity with reading it as an author using it.

The alternative is called Limited 3rd (or 1st, of course ). The 'limited' part means that you can't tell the thoughts of anyone but the PoV character in that scene. You can't tell knowledge that the character couldn't have, either. So if someone is doing something the character can't see, you can't even describe that.

It's tough! But you'll get the hang of it.

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
VoireyLinger
Angel Wing Fetish

VoireyLinger is a glorious beacon of lightVoireyLinger is a glorious beacon of light
Why do you 'need' two POVs? Is it because both characters have something unique to convey that they cannot share with each other, something the reader needs to know right at that exact moment, and it crucial to the plot? If not, you most likely don't 'need' it so much as find it easier.

If I do find that I do need to have more than one POV in a single scene, I write the first for as long as possible, then do a single POV change and finish it in the second. I've only had to do this once. in all other cases I put the POV change at a chapter break.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I would probably not be able to get into reading a book that changed POV within scenes.

I have read many books where two characters share a scene and each gets something important out of it. You tell it the scene as it happens from one character's POV - the most important character in that situation. Then, maybe the next scene, or the next chapter, you summarize from the other character's viewpoint the essential information that the other one didn't or couldn't know.

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
Donít let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There are no rules on how many POV's you can use. You just want them to be separated by section or chapter and you want your writing to be clear.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
boozysassmouth
Warthog, skin is already thick.

boozysassmouth is on a distinguished road
You might want to think about using 3rd Person Omniscient, in which you aren't in anyone's head in particular. You see, hear, and feel everything.

I use 3rd Person Limited most of the time, and will be using in my current WIP. I will got back and forth between the two protagonists, because neither is present for every moment of the story. I keep to one head per scene, and clearly delineate between scenes. Check out a few books where the authors break between scenes to see how they do it (just a space, a character, etc.).

You could try rummaging through your bookcase and seeing which POVs your favorite authors use and how they use them, before deciding what you want to do for yours.
boozysassmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
gell214

I don't think 3rd omni would work since there are only a few chapters where I need to use two POVs at once.

Some of you guys suggested a scene or chapter break. I will see which of those two would fit better for the story.

I'm also going to employ what VoireyLinger said:

Quote:
write the first for as long as possible, then do a single POV change and finish it in the second

Thanks for all the input guys.
This POV thing, really...

Le g+.
Le FaceBook.
Le Twitter.