Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
AgathaChristieFan
proud writer

AgathaChristieFan is well-respected
is it okay for an author to ask you to delete your book review from amazon and goodreads?

I'm sorry if this question is posted under the wrong forum... I do book reviews for my blog, and an author contacted me through email to ask me to review his book. I dedicated my time to read it and to write out a thoughtful opinion. I posted on my blog, goodreads, and amazon.

In my opinion, the book had some problems, so I didn't recommend it. I simply said "if you can get past the repetitiveness, then give the book a try." I talked about the good and the bad.

Ever since then, he's been emailing me, trying to convince me I read the story wrong. But I've stuck to my guns. Now, this morning, I get an email with him requesting I take down my review on amazon and goodreads.

What's the protocol? Should I do this? Don't potential readers have a right to know what they're getting into?

Everyone on here always offers great advice--that's why I'm asking. I want to do the right thing.
AgathaChristieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
He asked you to review his book. You have the email to prove it, I'm sure. It's your blog. I say keep it there. Don't even alter your review. Besides, you tempered the bad with the good.

ETA: Same goes for your reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. Don't delete it.

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
He asked you to review it; you did so honestly; he has no right to ask you to remove it.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That author is treading very close to Author's Big Mistake (ABM), and if he comments on the review, he'll have crossed the line. My vote is for stick to your guns and from now on delete his emails unread. You're building trust with your readers in giving honest reviews. Your responsibility is to them, not to the authors.
Ari Meermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You understand the book reviewing system just fine. The author doesn't. He should be grateful that you haven't blogged about his unprofessional behavior.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, he can ask all he wants to. Doesn't mean you have to do anything about it.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Rhoda Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
What they said.

He has the right to ask, sure. I have the right to ask you to ride a pink elephant across the Appalachian Trail.

You have the right to say no, and would not be unfair to do so.

You'd just make me unhappy. (Ok, not really, but that's the point.)

Go you!

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Reading your review, it's not that bad.

I'd say the writer either is a dolt who can't let their child be any less than perfect or just can't take criticism (which is the same thing here).

Place their email under "Spam" and forget them.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
shadowwalker
empty-nester!

shadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthood
What's that saying - be careful what you ask for?

Leave it. It was honest, and that's what people want.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Sheryl Nantus
Holding out for a Superhero...

Location: Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
Sheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you "read the story wrong" then it's HIS fault for not doing a better job of writing it.

Do not give in to his whining. If he wants to be a real author he'll have to learn to take the good with the bad. If he wants to run with the big dogs he'll figure it out.

Or not.
Sheryl Nantus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Authors shouldn't even be reading reviews, far less responding to them in any way whatever.

It isn't possible for a reader to read a story wrong. It is possible (and far too common) for a writer to write a story wrong.

Last edited by James D. Macdonald; 12-12-2012 at 08:35 PM.
James D. Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl Nantus View Post
If you "read the story wrong" then it's HIS fault for not doing a better job of writing it.

Do not give in to his whining. If he wants to be a real author he'll have to learn to take the good with the bad. If he wants to run with the big dogs he'll figure it out.

Or not.
And especially this (my bold):

Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
You understand the book reviewing system just fine. The author doesn't. He should be grateful that you haven't blogged about his unprofessional behavior.

What he's doing is completely and utterly wrong. You have zero obligation to remove or change your review, and yeah, he is enormously lucky that you haven't made his unprofessional whining public.

Frankly, it sounds to me as if his behavior is bordering on harassment. I'd delete his emails without a reply, but if he doesn't stop I'd consider formally requesting that he stop contacting you. Tell him he asked for a review and you gave him an honest one, and that's the end of it. And if he doesn't comply, I'd go public.

(Not out of pique, but because it's possible he could be attempting to have your reviews removed, or trying to get people to respond to them or start attacking you online or whatever else. He's probably not doing that or going to do that, but given some of the gross author behavior we've seen in the recent past, I wouldn't be surprised.)

He asked for a review. You gave him one. That's it. You owe him nothing else. You definitely do not owe him your participation in a deception, which is what he's asking for.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
AgathaChristieFan
proud writer

Thanks everyone for the quick reply! I'll stick to my guns and won't delete anything. WillSauger, I'm happy you don't think the review is too bad. I didn't either. I try my best not to be snarky or to hurt anyone's feelings. I was just being honest.

And, Veinglory, if he keeps bothering me, I may blog about it. It really bothers me that I'm being nice by offering book reviews for self-published books (I've heard a lot of sites won't touch them), and now it's not even appreciated because I didn't fawn over the book.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMyrealana is better than ice cream with hot fudge
You're reading it wrong?

Did you start at the back of the book? Did you hold it upside down?

Nope. The author is out of line.

"When it comes down to it it’s always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, it’s won.
Don’t let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
justJM
delicate #!&@*#! flower

justJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Amazing. He shouldn't ask, and you needn't feel any pressure to oblige his ridiculous request.
justJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I review self-published books and get this in one out for 20 or so titles. If you ignore them they give up eventually.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
Toothpaste
OUTCAST is out now!!!!

Toothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsToothpaste is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I . . . just . . . I.

WTF???

Though I have to say, it is nice when things are so clearly black and white. It is rare that one is so clearly in the right and the other person so clearly in the wrong.

My Website,
Follow Me On Twitter!

Toothpaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgathaChristieFan View Post
...(I've heard a lot of sites won't touch them)....
And this is why.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #19
AgathaChristieFan
proud writer

Hey Stacia Kane,
On goodreads and amazon, I was the first review for his book. The only one actually unless by now he has other ones. Maybe that's why he wants them taken down, because it wasn't a 4 or 5 star. At the end of each email (except this morning), he's mentioned that he can't wait to review one of my books.

If he wants to retaliate, then that's on him. He'll have to wait a while before my first book gets published. I'll ignore his emails, and if he gets people to harass me, then he'll show the public his immature behavior. I won't have to. Plus, I'll get more blog hits LOL.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #20
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Hey Stacia Kane,
On goodreads and amazon, I was the first review for his book. The only one actually unless by now he has other ones. Maybe that's why he wants them taken down, because it wasn't a 4 or 5 star. At the end of each email (except this morning), he's mentioned that he can't wait to review one of my books.
So he's not just a butthurt little whiner, he's a dickhead. What a winner. I'm so sorry you've been mistreated in this manner.

Quote:
If he wants to retaliate, then that's on him. He'll have to wait a while before my first book gets published. I'll ignore his emails, and if he gets people to harass me, then he'll show the public his immature behavior. I won't have to. Plus, I'll get more blog hits LOL.
And your review is really not that bad.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #21
justJM
delicate #!&@*#! flower

justJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
At the end of each email (except this morning), he's mentioned that he can't wait to review one of my books.
Lousy little shit.
justJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #22
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I agree with Perks' assessment of the situation.

Don't delete your review.

Block his email address.

I'd blog about his unprofessional behaviour, but then I'm mean.
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #23
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

Ah, yes. Revenge reviews. Gotta love 'em.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
amergina
Just don't fall for the boss...
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The author is a git. He's getting upset over a three star thoughtful review?

Ignore him. You're in the right here.

OUT NOW! Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
amergina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #25
shadowwalker
empty-nester!

shadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthoodshadowwalker is a candidate for sainthood
I don't know if this is good advice (the more experienced can let us both know), but if it were me, I'd blog about "an author", tell the basics, and then explain what you do if asked to review a book (ie, no favoritism, no deletions, etc). That way, it's out there, your position is made clear, and it might save you more of the same with other authors.

???