Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Publishing > Ask the Agent
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
jdwhitelaw
Gone Drinkin'

jdwhitelaw is on a distinguished road
Agent submission inquiry

Hello all.

Just wondering, when an agent asks for sample chapters, does the prologue count as the first chapter or as something that should be included too.

For example.

An agent asks for the first chapter as a sample. Should I send the prologue or should it be the prologue AND Chapter 1?

Same with other chapter related inquiries. First three chapters = Prologue + Chapters 1 and 2 or is it Prologue AND Chapters 1 - 3

Many thanks

Fancy a bit of dark comedy and family drama all wrapped up in the imagination of a stand up comedian?

Check out my debut novel Morbid Relations here
jdwhitelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
When I was submitting to agents I sent ch1, even though my novel has a prologue.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Elizabeth Holloway
Pass the sugar

Elizabeth Holloway is a shiny, shiny jewelElizabeth Holloway is a shiny, shiny jewel
I've always thought that if your story starts in the prologue (with the same characters, voice, POV, as the rest of the piece), then it's best to send the prologue and count it as the first chapter. However, if the actual story doesn't start until the first chapter, and the prologue is only backstory or something that doesn't come into play until much later in the story, then it's best to skip the prologue and send the first chapter.
Website * Twitter * Blog
Elizabeth Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
mayqueen
practical experience, FTW

mayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmayqueen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think it depends. (I also asked this question. Might be helpful.) I sent Ch1 for either chapters or pages and sent the prologue with the full because of the "where the story starts" issue.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If the prologue is first, I'd send it. If it was short enough, I might include chapter one. That's just me, though.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You have a choice, send the prologue, or surprise the agent with it later. If you were the agent, which would you prefer?
Old 12-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #7
NicolaD
This will all make sense tomorrow

NicolaD is on a distinguished road
My first book started with a prologue and I always sent that as sample pages/included that plus Chapter 1 & 2 for a partial.

Good luck either way, jdwhitelaw.
FB: Nicola Davidson - Author
Twitter: @NicolaMDavidson
---
Represented by Jessica Alvarez at Bookends Literary
His Forbidden Lady (Tudor) available now from Entangled Publishing. Squee!
NicolaD is offline   Reply With Quote