Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Basic Writing Questions
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #1
DanteExplorer
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

DanteExplorer is on a distinguished road
Books written in first person

Hi,
Could I get some recommendations for books written in the first person by more than one character (in the same book). I know there are tons of them but I'm currently drawing a blank.
thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Afterlife-Intr...2919986&sr=1-1
DanteExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Great Gatsby.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
As I Lay Dying
Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Or maybe Henry Fry was just being an asshole.
My little blog: /keeping-your-trap-shut/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
English Passengers. The Historian. Time Traveller's Wife. Fingersmith.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
SianaBlackwood
practical experience, FTW

SianaBlackwood is well-respected
Deadly by Morris Gleitzman and Paul Jennings.

Because random suggestions are fun .

So far it's killed at least three WIPs and my blog.
SianaBlackwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
RedWombat
Runs With Scissors

RedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admirationRedWombat has earned our admiration
Gone Girl. The Crystal Gryphon. Do you have a genre in mind? There's a fair number.
RedWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Six Alaric
The terror, the terror

Six Alaric is a shiny, shiny jewelSix Alaric is a shiny, shiny jewel
Election by Tom Perrotta.
Six Alaric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSauger View Post
The Great Gatsby.
Was my copy of Gatsby missing some chapters, or do I just not remember it corrrectly?

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
benbenberi

benbenberi is a glorious beacon of lightbenbenberi is a glorious beacon of light
If you read historical fiction, some great ones I recently encountered, by A.L. Berridge: Honour and the Sword and In the Name of the King (both set in the 17c) and Into theValley of Death (19c).
benbenberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
Allen R. Brady

Allen R. Brady is on a distinguished road
A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
Allen R. Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
Araenvo
Author

Araenvo is well-respected
The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver. Told by a family, with different chapters by different members. Very good book

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn at The Bent Agency

EREN, coming Fall 2014 from Corsair, Constable & Robinson
Araenvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffo20 View Post
Was my copy of Gatsby missing some chapters, or do I just not remember it corrrectly?
The opening words from the Great Gatsby:

Quote:
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Though many people never really noticed Nick much. That's why I call him a "camera" narrator.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
Mrs. de Winter
Eating cookies

Mrs. de Winter is on a distinguished road
Little Bee by Chris Cleave

The Help by Katherine Stockett
Mrs. de Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #14
Gemma James
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Gemma James is on a distinguished road
Not sure what genres you read, but I really enjoyed On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves. She alternates between two first person narrators.
Gemma James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #15
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteExplorer View Post
Hi,
Could I get some recommendations for books written in the first person by more than one character (in the same book). I know there are tons of them but I'm currently drawing a blank.
thanks
Quote:

Quote:
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Though many people never really noticed Nick much. That's why I call him a "camera" narrator.
And I don't see this as an example of what Dante was looking for. Gatsby is written in the first person from Nick's perspective alone.

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:26 AM   #16
sheadakota
part of the human equation

sheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Help

Re-Release of the COYOTE MOON SERIES!
Fallen available print and ebook
Through the Glass Available July 2014
The Coyote's Song- Available August 2014
Socrate's Child-COMING Summer 2015!
Broken - Winter 2015

Center of the Storm-

My Website

Fallen is a taut, hard driving, edge of your seat thiller.
Michael Wiley, author of The Last Striptease
sheadakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #17
Centaurus
Into the fray of the query process

Centaurus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Great Gatsby.
I don't think
Centaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:14 AM   #18
Centaurus
Into the fray of the query process

Centaurus is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Yea, he's a camera narrator sure (a la in the Brothers Karamazov), but the story is told from his vantage point, no?
Centaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:45 AM   #19
Graz

Graz has a spectacular aura
Simple Plan
The Quiet American
Graz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 AM   #20
OhTheHorror
jlw

OhTheHorror is on a distinguished road
Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk

OhTheHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #21
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma James View Post
Not sure what genres you read, but I really enjoyed On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves. She alternates between two first person narrators.
Who is also an AW member.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #22
eyeblink
I blink

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Reservation Road by John Burnham Schwartz - two first-person narrators plus a third viewpoint in close third.

Dark Eden by Chris Beckett (SF novel with about eight first-person POVs, two main ones with the others having a few or in some cases just one chapter each. Not entirely sure it works myself, though the novel has had some strong reviews.)

The Ant Colony by Jenny Valentine is a YA novel with two first-person narrators

The Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness is YA SF. The first volume, The Knife of Never Letting Go has one narrator, The Ask and the Answer has two and Monsters of Men has three.

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words complete draft.

Conor and Me (working title, 14+ YA) 24,466 words and counting

Short fiction:

"The Girl on the Station Platform" - final version, 2333 words complete.
eyeblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #23
LJD

LJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolnessLJD leaves trails of profuse coolness
How to Eat a Cupcake - Meg Donohue

I can think of a bunch of chick lit examples.
LJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #24
Putputt
boop boop

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Help
The Bartimaeus Trilogy

Twitter

Repped by SLA
Putputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #25
Myrealana
I aim to misbehave

Myrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputationMyrealana has a double-platinum reputation
The Origami Yoda books -- but they're for kids.

"When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.
Donít let the page win."
Alasdair Stewart
Myrealana is offline   Reply With Quote