Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > New Members
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
max929
Fear is a only a barrier

max929 is on a distinguished road
Greetings and Apparently I suck

At everything I have tried to do professionally. I just can't stop my mind from examining everything that I see out of balance around me. I have made myself unemployable because I can't keep my mouth shut to corporate about stupid policies. After graduating cum laude w/a degree in Criminal Justice, I couldn't stomach my field after discovering that it wasn't about reform like we were told, it was a business model based on exploitation...have money and a good lawyer, do whatever you want...don't, well than sign this piece of paper and we'll limit your sentence.

It isn't that I'm incompetent, I just can't be part of something I don't believe in. FF to present day, my wife in all her wisdom has asked me to stop chasing shadows and rope the unicorn, i.e. pursue the one career that seems like a natural fit for me...writing. However, I wasn't really sure where to start and then I came across the Absolute Write Water Cooler.

I hope I haven't bored or alienated to many of you fellow journeyman/women on this board, but this is who I am and it has taken me 32 years to discover what I just summarized in two paragraphs. The power of the pen (or key board) is truly amazing. TY all for taking a minute to read my story and I hope to learn as much as I can from each of you.

Regards
max929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome to the Water Cooler, Max.
“Plot is people. Human emotions and desires founded on the realities of life, working at cross purposes, getting hotter and fiercer as they strike against each other until finally there’s an explosion—that’s Plot.” ~Leigh Brackett, July 1943

.Where the twit tries not to be TOO much of one.
Ari Meermans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You're welcome, and Welcome!

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Last edited by WillSauger; 12-07-2012 at 06:42 PM.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
regdog
Kreon Prowl
AW Moderator

Location: Protecting, Serving and well he's a Kreon so who knows what he's up to
regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

My Blog-Updated on 7/18/14 Food Allergies

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
cameomac
Geek girl since 1977

cameomac is well-respected
cameomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Robert Gonko
practical experience, FTW

Robert Gonko is on a distinguished road
Welcome!
Print edition available from CreateSpace
WIP: "Sniper"

Check out my blog: http://robertgonko.wordpress.com
Robert Gonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
EMaree
is drinking tea

EMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputationEMaree has a golden reputation
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your writing.

ALMOST FINISHED OMG: BROKEN THINGS Draft 2 (YA UF)
Published: MG Fantasy "Dragon Tamers" & "Dragon Tamers 2: Digital Tempest"
EMaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Nickie
Not too old to learn

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light
Welcome to the Cooler!
Nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
Write_Askew

Write_Askew is well-respected
Hi Max! Welcome to the cooler!

Keep your chin up. There's a lot of us still working towards what we want from life. Exploring your options is the only way to do that, and trust me when I say, there's plenty of us who failed once (or a hundred) times before we found something we're good at that we love.

You're going to love it here. This is a great community that values honest opinion and is very supportive.

Good luck!
Write_Askew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
thehairymob
If I had a brain I'd still be dumb

thehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudgethehairymob is better than ice cream with hot fudge
thehairymob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
drzimo

drzimo is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the Forum!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 AM   #12
Tepelus

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello, and welcome!

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.
Tepelus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #13
L. Y.
\m/

L. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsL. Y. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello. to the Water Cooler!

Edit with your head, write with your heart.

L. Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:07 AM   #14
Beachgirl
Misbehaving and stuff

Beachgirl has earned our admirationBeachgirl has earned our admirationBeachgirl has earned our admirationBeachgirl has earned our admiration
Welcome! And don't worry - it's never too late to find your perfect career. Many of the writers here at AW started their writing careers after they spent years doing something else (myself included).

BookStrand* Amazon
Blog * Twitter
AW Library
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #15
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi, Max. Welcome to aye-dub. Roll up your sleeves and gird your loins. (Not necessarily in that order. . . wait, maybe it is. . .)

Weird day. I'll shut up now.
“You’re fucking with me,” I said. “You are, aren’t you?”
Eric shrugged, still smiling.
“You fuckin’ nut,” I said. “You had me going there for a minute.”
“I know. You shoulda seen your face just now.”
“Asshole,” I said.
“Yep.”
/my little blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:13 AM   #16
Darkh0rse
figuring it all out

Darkh0rse is on a distinguished road
Welcome Max. I hope this change of direction is good for you.

They say change is as good as a holiday. Enjoy!
Darkh0rse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #17
rwm4768

rwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputationrwm4768 has a double-platinum reputation
Welcome. You don't suck. I think a lot of people know exactly how it feels to become disillusioned with a field.

WIP:
Empire of Chains (Epic Fantasy): 160K Revising
The Battle Stone (Upper MG Fantasy): 67K Revising
Lightweaver (Epic Fantasy): 104K Revising
rwm4768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
Samball49

Samball49 is on a distinguished road
Welcome and btw, you really don't suck!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #19
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi Max!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.

and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area are explained here.

This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work posts.
*Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum
Originally Posted by CassandraW View Post
What. the F. am I now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
KellyAssauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
Griffin Hayes
One evil little baby step at a time

Griffin Hayes is well-respected
Welcome!
Old 12-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #21
starlina

starlina is on a distinguished road
Welcome. Greetings. Dig in. Congratulations on graduating.
starlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #22
Robert Gonko

Robert Gonko is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm4768 View Post
Welcome. You don't suck. I think a lot of people know exactly how it feels to become disillusioned with a field.
Isn't that the truth?
Print edition available from CreateSpace
WIP: "Sniper"

Check out my blog: http://robertgonko.wordpress.com
Robert Gonko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:15 AM   #23
max929
Fear is a only a barrier

max929 is on a distinguished road
TY all for the warm welcome, I have already taken a quick tour and this forum is an encyclopedia of literary knowledge, like a Costco for the journalistic impulse. I have already found information ranging from approaching an agent to proper grammar. I will continue making the rounds.

From a personal perceptive, it is so reassuring to be surrounded by those who have traveled similar paths and fallen off similar ladders to arrive where they always should have been.
max929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #24
Centaurus
Into the fray of the query process

Centaurus is on a distinguished road
Hi Max, and welcome to AW
Centaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:33 AM   #25
Liralen
Miss Conceived

Liralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiralen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow, Max.

I'm new on the board and was going to read through some of the intros before posting mine.

Sounds like your trip's been running parallel to mine.
Liralen is offline   Reply With Quote