Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Starbucks to finally pay up?

Just seen on BBC News that Starbucks has agreed to pay 10 million quid over two years in corporation tax. And they say it's because of customer complaints. So the unofficial boycott worked?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
It would seem so. They are rather more susceptible to customer boycotting than Google or Amazon. You'll know real progress has been made when Amazon pay up.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sorry, I missed this one.

What exactly is Starbuck's accused of??

(And quite ironically, I am in a Starbuck's at this very moment! )

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)
Plot Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hasn't worked all that much, the way I see it. They still get to siphon off all their cash off the shores and give the dog a bone with a mealy-mouthed my-bad.
Xelebes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
They're not really accused of anything because legally they haven't done anything wrong. They basically make a shit load of money in this country but don't declare any profit here. And therefore pay no tax on it.

And a lot of people here feel that's morally wrong and stopped buying their coffee. And as Waylander said, Starbucks are far more vulnerable to that. So it's more of a goodwill gesture than anything else.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
crunchyblanket
the Juggernaut of Imperfection

crunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
They're not really accused of anything because legally they haven't done anything wrong. They basically make a shit load of money in this country but don't declare any profit here. And therefore pay no tax on it.
While paying their staff minimum wage.

I agree that getting Amazon, Google and Apple to cough up would be a great deal more impressive.

This country amazes me. We squeeze benefits and decry those who claim them as scroungers, yet our tax system is so full of holes that companies can walk free with billions of pounds in unpaid tax...

My short story "When Charlie Sleeps" is in Best British Horror 2014. Buy it. It'll make you happier and sexier.

crunchyblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
As Miranda said, Starbucks have huge turnover in the UK, but apparently (according to the accounts they've field with the Revenue) make no profit so pay no tax. Now if this were really true then they would be shutting outlets. They're not, new Starbucks are still springing up in towns across the country. What they've done is, like many multi-nationals, arrange things so that their subsidiary in Luxembourg supplies branding, rights and stuff - for which their UK arm pays a load of money which wipes out their profit - so that they make their profit there. The reason - they pay a much lower rate of tax in Luxembourg.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
benbradley
Perspiring Writer

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plot Device View Post
Sorry, I missed this one.

What exactly is Starbuck's accused of??

(And quite ironically, I am in a Starbuck's at this very moment! )
Let me expand on this:

Link, please?

Normally I'd go to some random search engine, but this is the first I've heard of this too, and I'm feeling snarky...
Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
RichardGarfinkle
Shipping Tropos
AW Moderator

RichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRichardGarfinkle is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Here's an article from The Guardian that pretty much explains the situation.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...orporation-tax

Overdue Considerations -- my blog

Now on Smashwords
RichardGarfinkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't understand how Starbucks gets to decide whether it pays tax or not. My company (turnover: two-thirds of five-eighths of fuck-all pounds sterling) doesn't seem to be allowed this luxury.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

You don't employ a team of fancy tax lawyers.