Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
msd
figuring it all out

msd is on a distinguished road
How many pages do 80000 words make

How many pages do 80000 words make in a paperback and a hardcover book?

If it makes any difference, my book is a science fiction novel.

Wolfgang Riebe

Please forgive any spelling errors; English is not my first language.

msddivers.wix.com
msd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
aixsponsa
This is not Kelly Kapoor Story Hour

aixsponsa is well-respected
I believe the accepted average words/page is 250. So, 80,000 / 250 = 320 pages. Of course, actual page count can vary based on several factors.
aixsponsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Pages on screen aren't going to line up to pages in a novel. The formatting is different. Typeface, print size, margins, etc. will all be factors in how large a novel ends up. You generally end up with more book pages than you do document page as seen on your computer.

Cyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
c.e.lawson
Green Lantern Hound to the Rescue!

c.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
On a related note -- how does one find out an accurate word count for published books?
c.e.lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The density of the book will also make a big difference. Lots of dialogue, for example, takes up lots of page space. As in:

"The density of the book -- "

"Will also make a big difference."

"Stop interrupting me."

"Oh, sorry."

"Lots of dialogue -- "

"For example -- "

"Takes up lots of page space."

"Y'think?"

"Bugger off, loser. Like you've ever cracked a book."

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.e.lawson View Post
On a related note -- how does one find out an accurate word count for published books?

Google [book title] word count. (not snarking, it's usually that easy to find.)

There are also some education based sites that include word count as an indication of reading level (or "AR lists"), but only for the books they have on their lists, so it's not always possible to find what you're looking for.

Cyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
VoireyLinger
Angel Wing Fetish

VoireyLinger is a glorious beacon of lightVoireyLinger is a glorious beacon of light
There really is no answer. In a printed book, formatting choices by the publisher, typography and page size make huge differences in page numbers, as does the author's writing style. My 80K of words will take up a different number of pages from yours, and yours will be different from others.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
One takes a published book, counts the words on a couple of typical pages, and does the relevant page-multiplication. By doing so, one will arrive at a close enough figure.

Published books vary widely in average number of words per page, depending on typeface, margins, and other formatting. On average, though, a rough estimate of 300 words per page is middle of the spectrum, in my experience.

Remember also that passages of dialogue will have lots of short lines and white space. The word count will be smaller through these passages than through longer paragraphs of straight narration.

And 80,000 words is a common standard novel length.

caw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
c.e.lawson
Green Lantern Hound to the Rescue!

c.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsc.e.lawson is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks, Cyia and blacbird. (And I know you weren't being snarky, Cyia -- you spend so much time on this board being helpful. )
c.e.lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #10
fredXgeorge
I heart sexy elves and wizards.

fredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewelfredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Have a look at Renlearn. They list exact word counts for probably thousands of books.

'Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.'
- J.K. Rowling
fredXgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
dangerousbill
Retired Illuminatus

dangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by msd View Post
My 92000 word novel came to 326 pages. I used an 11 point book font and a 6x9 format. There was Word 'auto' paragraph and line spacing, which was comfortable to read.

Page count can be increased or decreased by manipulating fonts and line/para spacing, as well as margins. But the idea is to make the novel comfortable to read, not to max or min the page count.

'Lessons at the Edge' - College student and his mother's best friend share an apartment. CAUTION: Explicit, 18+ http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Edge-P...ns+at+the+edge
Reviewed 'two thumbs up' at Erotica Revealed.
dangerousbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Regardless of page count or word count, the really important thing isn't quantity of words.

It's quality of words. And that's what any good writer concentrates on.

cw

"Frankly, Toad, I don't give a damn."

-- Gone with the Wind in the Willows
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Enough words to make a novel publishable by most SF lines. That's all that really matters. Most guidelines have a lower limit of 80,000 words, so you're probably on safe ground.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #14
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
Regardless of page count or word count, the really important thing isn't quantity of words.

It's quality of words. And that's what any good writer concentrates on.

cw
Good writers may concentrate on quality, but good writers who want to sell concentrate on quality and length. There's no good reason to ignore either. Guidelines are there to be followed, and it simply isn't that difficult to write quality at the proper length.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #15
Calliea
Hush, hush...

Calliea is well-respected
I liked to take books from my shelf, count the average signs-per-line and then the lines on a page and then open my manuscript in MS Word where I adjusted the margins so they reflected that. That gives me an idea how many pages I would have in a given book format. It's pretty fun too
Calliea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 PM   #16
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by msd View Post
How many pages does the designer want it to have?