Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
evangaline
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

evangaline is on a distinguished road
Punctuation nightmare

I've searched for an answer but came up empty-handed. Could someone please help with the following lines of dialogue?

He made a joke to ease the tension. “What about ugly?” Seeing her confusion, he explained, “You said the good and the bad. There was a movie, ‘The Good, the Bad, and’—”

“The ugly,” she finished with a grin.

The problem is with the last line. Should the ugly have single quotes around it? Technically speaking, it's part of the title. And should ugly be capitalized for the same reason?

I have to stop writing myself into corners! Thanks for any suggestions.
evangaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
alleycat
All you need is yarn.
AW Moderator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I would use italics for the movie title and not quotation marks.

I'm not sure, but I think I would capitalize Ugly since the second person is finishing the title (but probably not in italics).

There was a movie, The Good, the Bad, and—”

“The Ugly,” she finished with a grin.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Corussa
I fight like a dairy farmer

Corussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of lightCorussa is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by evangaline View Post
I've searched for an answer but came up empty-handed. Could someone please help with the following lines of dialogue?
My answer would be: italics, no quotes (as it's a film title). Which should make it clearer, avoiding a heap of quotes.

I'd also capitalise 'ugly' since, as you say, she's giving it as part of the film title.

So:

Quote:
He made a joke to ease the tension. “What about ugly?” Seeing her confusion, he explained, “You said the good and the bad. There was a movie, The Good, the Bad and—”

The Ugly,” she finished with a grin.
Hope that helps.

The Wrecklings (Corussa 1) - 92k, draft #137ish
The Retosphere (Corussa 2) - 51K, first (short) draft still gathering dust
The Insert-Title-Here (Corussa 3) - Will be written once Wrecklings and Retosphere are done and dusted!
The Crown Capassia (Corussa 4) - Ah ha. Ah ha ha ha
Corussa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
Chase
...sending a friendly H-I

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I agree with the cat, except (as Corussa observed) also italicize The Ugly. It completes the move title:

The Ugly,” she finished with a grin.

Last edited by Chase; 12-05-2012 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Wasn't all that funny.
Chase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
evangaline
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

evangaline is on a distinguished road
Thank you all so much! I really appreciate your expertise!
evangaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
boron
Health writer

boron is well-respected
Why is "the" in "the Bad" not capitalized?
boron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
amergina
Whom do you trust?
AW Moderator

amergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsamergina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by boron View Post
Why is "the" in "the Bad" not capitalized?
Because conjunctions and small words in titles aren't capitalized.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Miracle on 34th Street

Raiders of the Lost Ark

But the title got broken up into the dialogue and first words in dialogue are capitalized, hence "The Ugly"

Though I suppose it could also be:

Quote:

“—the Ugly,” she finished with a grin.
Which would preserve the lack of capitalization.
Sl0w Wa1tz (M/M paranormal short) from Loose Id

OUT NOW: Missing Persons (fantasy short) in Trust and Treachery!

Coming August 19th: Take0ver (M/M contemporary romance) from Berkley InterMix

I have a Website! My Pen Name has a Website! I also Tweet!
amergina is online now   Reply With Quote