Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Art & Design > Designing Book Covers
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
LBlankenship
VPXV 4EVA

LBlankenship is a shiny, shiny jewelLBlankenship is a shiny, shiny jewel
Crit a book trailer?

It's short... for Disciple, Part II.

It's on a private YouTube page: http://youtu.be/uCkjZ3241i4

The logline/query/summary for Part II has been a bear, so if you rip it apart I won't be surprised. But all thoughts welcome. Crit there, crit here, whatever works for you.

Thanks!

Available at all major e-retailers • Disciple, Part IV on sale now!

Samples at my book blog: Disciples of the Fount • Writing blog: Notes from the Jovian frontier • Twitter: LBlankenship_sf
Creative Services for self-publishers: covers, ebook formatting, and more
LBlankenship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Rachel Udin
Banned

Rachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of light
It was brilliant! The best I've ever seen. But I don't understand the logline. "This video is private. Sorry about that."

1 second and you got me.

Sorry... couldn't resist.
Rachel Udin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Gale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yep. You'll have to post it publicly if you want us to see it. The other option is to post it on vimeo and include a password protection that you share with us. But the more difficult you make it for us to see the video, the less likely you'll get critiques. Trust me, I learned that the hard way.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
LBlankenship
VPXV 4EVA

OK, since there's little chance of anyone stumbling across it on a huge site like YouTube, I'll stop being paranoid. Public now.

http://youtu.be/uCkjZ3241i4

Samples at my book blog: Disciples of the Fount • Writing blog: Notes from the Jovian frontier • Twitter: LBlankenship_sf
Old 12-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
alleycat
Hippity-hoppity
AW Moderator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I thought it was reasonably well done.

I didn't understand the titling. It says Part I at the beginning.

I thought you could have used a little stronger and more descriptive wording, but it's okay. I liked the line "She shouldn't have kissed him."

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Gale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I thought it was pretty darn good. I did not personally like the second image that you used. The style didn't match your paintings, and it made the text difficult to read. I also felt that the video cut off too abruptly at the end.
Gale Haut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
LBlankenship
VPXV 4EVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Haut View Post
I thought it was pretty darn good. I did not personally like the second image that you used. The style didn't match your paintings, and it made the text difficult to read. I also felt that the video cut off too abruptly at the end.
I was worried that combat picture would make the text hard to read... I'll see what I can do. And fix the fade-out on the music, fade the logo out...

True, that picture doesn't fit the style, but it's public domain. And it doesn't openly clash with the fantasy theme, I hope.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Maybe you need more public domain options. Here, I've started a search with some good terms for you. http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index...ecial%3ASearch

I also suggest adjusting the "levels" of the image you choose to match your art. That should also help, even if the styles are very different.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
Six Alaric
The terror, the terror

Six Alaric has a spectacular auraSix Alaric has a spectacular aura
Nice work. The music is subtle and effective. The art is impressive - although I have to agree about the battle piece not quite fitting with the other images.

The movement on the landscape image lags a bit, which is slightly distracting. Slowing it down might help; the other pictures moved at a lower speed and they all worked smoothly.
—Sweetheart, The Stars Are Falling | 5k
Six Alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #10
Rachel Udin
Banned

Rachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of lightRachel Udin is a glorious beacon of light
Good work, just a few things:
Who wrote it again?
What does the packaged book look like? (i.e. what am I buying here?)
Where could I find it if I wanted it?
Also watch the margins on the text. It is well broken up, so easy to read.

Have to second on Gale's thoughts about the second painting.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #11
Tigerlilly79
Maybe I should see someone . . .

Tigerlilly79 is on a distinguished road
Nice, but you do need to add important info like the author's name and where the book can be purchased.

FACEBOOK

You are responsible for the talent you have been entrusted with. Go work with it.

Tigerlilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:25 AM   #12
LBlankenship
VPXV 4EVA

This trailer will be going up in my Kickstarter campaign, actually. But yes, I'll add the book info if I use it elsewhere.

Thanks for the crits, everybody! I tracked down a battle painting from a later era that may work...

Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
LBlankenship
VPXV 4EVA

Revised version is up! http://youtu.be/C_FT26Mrj6M

Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

I'm seeing major improvements overall.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
Rachel Udin
Banned

Much better! Well done.

The second painting looks like it's about the crusades... since there are people in Middle Eastern garb (I say that because it was meant to be generic at the time it was painted). I'm not quite sure if that's the correct painting... though I'm not sure that many people will notice.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
LBlankenship
VPXV 4EVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Udin View Post
The second painting looks like it's about the crusades... since there are people in Middle Eastern garb (I say that because it was meant to be generic at the time it was painted). I'm not quite sure if that's the correct painting... though I'm not sure that many people will notice.
True, but finding a post-Renaissance, public-domain painting of knights without plate armor is... tricky. I put a lot of work into maintaining a 13th-century vibe in my fantasy world, and that was before plate armor.

I'll just have to commission some more paintings over at DeviantArt when I have the money.

Thanks for the second look, Gale and Rachel!