Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
richcapo
Knight Templar

richcapo has a spectacular aurarichcapo has a spectacular aura
Seeking beta for experimental magical realism

Dear board,

Book is narrated in pseudo-conversational style, features a bevy of complex plots and wild feats of magic; also a deranged shark god, and hordes of insane, mystically empowered Central American Freemasons. The story received high accolades from a number of agents, but nevertheless no bites. Please help.

My novel is 115,000 words long.

Thank you.

Regards,

Richard

It was that bastard manís voice that woke my father. Papu found himself back in his cell, lying atop a lush bed crafted of various male and female organs and his enemy's passions. Strong with that bastard manís magic, the organs restrained Papu and sensually rubbed against him. Some xxxxxxx him and some xxxxxx with his xxxxxxx.

Poetry and Jest

Last edited by richcapo; 12-05-2012 at 07:51 PM.
richcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Theo81
Benefactor Member

Theo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputation
If this is for the work quoted in your Sig, I'd stick a sample up in SYW - in fact, I'd do that anyway - so people can know what they are getting into.
Theo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
richcapo
Knight Templar

No, different story.

It was that bastard manís voice that woke my father. Papu found himself back in his cell, lying atop a lush bed crafted of various male and female organs and his enemy's passions. Strong with that bastard manís magic, the organs restrained Papu and sensually rubbed against him. Some xxxxxxx him and some xxxxxx with his xxxxxxx.

Poetry and Jest
Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
gell214
practical experience, FTW

gell214 is on a distinguished road
I'm interested but as Theo81 says, better get an except up in SYW so we can have an idea before committing.

Le blog (under construction).

Le g+.
Le FaceBook.
Le Twitter.
gell214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #5
Rowan
Wielder of the Witchblade

Rowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Here's my suggestion to all potential beta readers: start with a sample. Beta reading is a serious commitment, especially a 80K+ word manuscript. Whenever I'm considering a project, I always start with 1-3 chapters or 30-50 pages before committing to the entire MS. It's pretty simple and so far, nobody has objected.

Not everyone wants to post their project in the Share Your Work forum (for a myriad of reasons) and I respect that. So, if you're interested in richcapo's project but are uncertain as to whether or not you want to commit to critiquing 115K words, consider asking him to share a partial with you so you can test the waters. This will also give richcapo an idea as to your ability to offer a constructive critique. After all, beta reading is a two-way street.

"There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything." - Lord Byron
Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #6
richcapo
Knight Templar

Thanks, Rowan. I'd be happy to issue partials to any interested party.

Poetry and Jest
Old 12-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
gell214

Thanks Rowan, this helps me too.

So, richcapo, interested in what he said?
Oh, I am looking for a swap, BTW. So we can swap samples if you like.

Le g+.
Le FaceBook.
Le Twitter.
gell214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
richcapo
Knight Templar

I'll swap, sure. Partial or full works for me. Thanks.

Poetry and Jest

Last edited by richcapo; 12-06-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Rowan
Wielder of the Witchblade

Rowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRowan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I fixed it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gell214 View Post
Thanks Rowan, this helps me too.

So, richcapo, interested in what she said?
Oh, I am looking for a swap, BTW. So we can swap samples if you like.

"There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything." - Lord Byron
Old 12-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
richcapo
Knight Templar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
I fixed it for you.
Of course you're a she -- you do wield the Witchblade after all.

Poetry and Jest
Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
gell214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
I fixed it for you.
Oh gosh! I'm sorry!

Le g+.