Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Novels
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
shs22
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

shs22 is on a distinguished road
Abandoning your novel?

A few months ago I finished writing my second novel, and a few day ago I started revising it. I had fun and gained experience writing it, but the more I read it the more I find myself thinking "This story really isn't that interesting. I'm not sure anyone would want to read this." I'm thinking about dropping it for now/ever and moving onto my next idea, one that I'm incredibly confident in.

Anyone else ever abandon their novel (finished or not)? How did it go? Did you ever go back and fix it?
shs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome shs22, you should visit the New Members forum.

I've abandoned dozens of novels, split between the story just not moving or the writing was just too hard to work with. And no, I've never revisited them. I'm too busy with my current WIPs.

In your position, I would just pave ahead and leave history as history. Take what you learned from your mistakes and put the effort into your new work. You'll always throw stuff out, and I believe it's a great value to be able to easily place a story down and move on.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Last edited by WillSauger; 12-05-2012 at 03:26 PM.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
kkbe
Huh.

kkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskkbe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
WS offers one option. Here's another: Move on, but don't give up on that bad boy completely. Even if the thing doesn't work as a whole, parts may be salvageable. You never know when some phrase or idea from it might come in handy. Plus, maybe you can pluck something from it, expand on that. . .
She looks right back at me and goes, “What.”
“You’re smoking a stupid cigarette.”
“And you’re five so shut up.”

/my little blog/
kkbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Kallithrix
Bunneh is sleepeh...Zzz...

Kallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKallithrix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I abandoned a novel I started writing when I realised that fanfiction isn't publishable... *facepalm*

But the novel was also complete crap, so that was fine. I did learn a lot from writing it, mainly about what not to do. I still find some parts of it hugely entertaining, and I'll go back and read them from time to time. One day I may even take the parts I liked and make something original out of them.

But my current WIP is taking up too much of my time already, and is a bajillion times better.

So yah, move on. It's not failure, it's experience

Kallithrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Putputt
is a godmama!

Putputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPutputt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yep. I have abandoned a WIP. I knew while writing it that it was just a hot mess I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. The other day I opened the file and was surprised to find that it's not complete crap, so maybe one day I'll resurrect it.

I'd say move on, but don't delete anything. There may be chunks that'll be of use to you in the future.

blog
: Interview with slhuang about her newly-released book!
Twittur

Repped by SLA.

Putputt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
aixsponsa
This is not Kelly Kapoor Story Hour

aixsponsa is well-respected
Yes. I got 22,000 words into my first novel when I realized it was kind of boring. I took it as 22k words of practice.
aixsponsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Buffysquirrel
Possibly not a real squirrel

Buffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBuffysquirrel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sometimes we're too close to what we've written to assess its merits. I'd recommend trunking the novel, then looking at it again in, say, six months. You might find it's not as bad as you think now. Or it might be exactly as bad . Either way, work on something else in the meantime. If it needs to be abandoned, just leave it in the trunk.
Writing from a female point of view seems to be generally regarded as something more like writing from the perspective of a deer: you might get points for novelty, but it'd be impossible to get right, and who really wants to hear a deer narrate a story, anyway? Jennifer duBois

Self-sacrifice is vile. Joanna Russ

The Little Dog Laughed
Buffysquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
L.Blake
Soaking up information.

L.Blake is on a distinguished road
I know without question my first novel sucks. I would never subject anyone to reading it. I take the parts I think will work for others stories and leave the rest. It was a huge lesson in what not to do.

L.
Monstre 42,746

Last edited by L.Blake; 12-06-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: typos
L.Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
amrose
is Envy Augustine

amrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolnessamrose leaves trails of profuse coolness
I recently tossed the hard copy of my non-finished second novel. I used elements from it in a novella I published (the one in my sig). Parts of my first novel are getting cannibalized into my current WIP. No doubt about it, though. That first novel is/was garbage. Good concept, lousy execution.

Like vampires? Like sex? Like the near future in an alternative history where humans have overthrown their bloodsucking overlords and use them for slave labor?

This novella might be for you.
amrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
LadyV
Happy Easter

LadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLadyV is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I abandoned a novel many years ago. It got no where further than a badly executed prologue. The concept seemed cool at the time, but the more I think of it now, it was just lame.

Current WIP: Smoldering Ember - Contemporary Fantasy (plotting, drafting, whatever)
LadyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by shs22 View Post
A few months ago I finished writing my second novel, and a few day ago I started revising it. I had fun and gained experience writing it, but the more I read it the more I find myself thinking "This story really isn't that interesting. I'm not sure anyone would want to read this." I'm thinking about dropping it for now/ever and moving onto my next idea, one that I'm incredibly confident in.

Anyone else ever abandon their novel (finished or not)? How did it go? Did you ever go back and fix it?
My bolding. Why not find out for sure before abandoning it? Is the problem really related to your suspicion about how interesting it is, or are you just afraid to put it out there for serious critique? Either way, what if you are wrong, and it IS something we would want to read? Or, what if it just needs a little work to be in that category? Abandoning it without getting solid answers to these questions seems like a premature move to me.
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category
NeuroFizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Smile

Quote:

shs22!

I have not abandoned a novel before, but I've put it away for awhile then come back to it.

Look, you've worked hard on this novel. If you need to, set it aside and then go back through it and edit it. Make it the best you can. Give it to some beta readers if you need to. But don't give up because you believe the story is not interesting enough.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
Pearl
practical experience, FTW

Pearl is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by aixsponsa View Post
Yes. I got 22,000 words into my first novel when I realized it was kind of boring. I took it as 22k words of practice.
That's a good attitude to have - practice makes perfect!

I believe it is very important to save your work, always. You may come up with a different idea for it sometime in the future.
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
davidh219
Walking Anachronism

davidh219 is on a distinguished road
As much trouble as I have sticking to it at times, I believe firmly in the idea that, at the stage I'm at right now, finishing things is far more important than making sure I'm working on the "best" idea, so I try not to abandon things until at least finishing a first draft. Definitely not novels (at least not yet). I abandon my short stories sometimes. I try to tell myself I'll come back to them later though

My NanoWriMo novel was a first-person sort of science fiction thing about what really happened to Atlantis. When I came up with the idea back in late October, I was really confident about it. Now I'm 20k words in (I failed Nano horribly) and I'm not so confident anymore, and on top of that I came up with an idea for another novel that I'm itching to write. No idea if that's because this idea is better, or because it's new, or simply because it's different (several third-person viewpoints as opposed to the first-person viewpoint of my other novel).

So what am I doing? I'm working on both of them at the same time! I realize I'm not experienced enough to know which of them will be worth anything in the end. Maybe neither will be worth anything. Maybe both will have merit. Hard to say until I get that first draft down.

Also, jumping between two projects helps immensely with writer's block. I just pray that I don't come up with a third idea for a novel before I finish one of these.
― William Wordsworth
davidh219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If you abandon anything because you don't think others will find it worth reading, you'll toss whatever you've written the moment post-draft depression hits. You learn nothing by abandoning projects before they've made the rounds, except how to give up on a project. Anyone can do that, and most who fail make a habit of abandoning projects. The simple fact is you have no idea who does or doesn't want to read your work until and unless you get it in submission, and keep it there.

It isn't the writer's job to decide what others will or won't read. That's up to agents and editors. Your job is to write, to finish, and to submit. Nothing else is in your power.

Follow Heinlein's Rules to the letter, and chances are you'll be a successful writer. Start abandoning projects and chances are you'll be an unsuccessful writer.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
jeffo20
Tyrant King

jeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to beholdjeffo20 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallithrix View Post
I abandoned a novel I started writing when I realised that fanfiction isn't publishable... *facepalm*
It wasn't an S&M retelling of Twilight, was it?

Quote:
My 'first' novel was a NaNoWriMo I did two years back. I hit the 50K mark on November 30 and declared it 'done'. I was tired of it, exhausted, and I had a second, better novel tearing at my head. A year later, with the second novel out being reviewed by betas (I'm slow) I dusted off the old NaNo and started retooling it. It was definitely getting better, but a funny thing happened: another, better idea forced its way into the front of my skull and took priority for the next ten months. That novel is now out being beta'd, while the first one still sits, unfinished.

It may be time to go back and take another look at the first novel, so I can get properly fired up about the next one, hah ha.

In all seriousness, you're going to be the only one who can decide whether you should abandon this one or not. The one thing you really want to be careful of is establishing a pattern of not finishing what you've started. Finishing a first draft is great, and congratulations, but if your ultimate goal is publication, you're going to have to carry through all the way. Sermon over.

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.
jeffo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #17
elindsen
A hottie in disguise

elindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudgeelindsen is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I have temporarily abandoned two novels. One I just wasn't feeling and I believe you need to feel it for it to be your best. The second needs a bit more work and I'm kind of burnt out on it. I will come back, but when refreshed.
Library
Site

Anais Morgan
Facebook
Library
Blog

VampireNovellaSideProject 11,426/?
Heaven's Breath 34,584/40,000

elindsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #18
Billycourty

Billycourty is on a distinguished road
For me I have been working on my first novel for (on and off) 3-4 years. I have made all the basic and classic mistakes with this novel,

but instead of writing four or five novels and making these mistakes, I have made them all in the same story. I have

rewritten in and rewritten it.

And you know? I don't regret a moment of it because this story is the story I am trying to tell.

There is always more than one way to skin anything.
Billycourty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
LJD

LJD has earned our admirationLJD has earned our admirationLJD has earned our admirationLJD has earned our admiration
I trunked my first novel after several drafts. I don't expect to go back to it. I'm glad I trunked it, but I'm also glad that I went through extensive revisions first as I learned a lot.

You don't want to get into the habit of not finishing projects, although you've got the first draft, so that's a good start. I'd probably force myself to do at least one round of revisions. You might work on the revisions for this one and the first draft of your next novel at the same time, perhaps allowing yourself to work on the latter as a reward for spending some time on the former. But if you really, truly, absolutely can't stomach spending more time on this manuscript, then put it aside for now.
LJD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
angeliz2k
never mind the shorty

angeliz2k is a splendid one to beholdangeliz2k is a splendid one to beholdangeliz2k is a splendid one to behold
To the OP: you don't have to abandon it forever. You might come back and find that flash of insight that makes the work worth salvaging. You might realize that if you make character x do y, it solves some/most of the problems you had with the story.

Or, you might just be better off leaving it behind. Just give it time.

And, yes, I've abandoned a 100k+ novel because I didn't think it was up to scratch. I still really enjoy it and think parts are brilliant. But as a whole, it's not publishable, so I've moved on.
WIP 3: Antebellum South, 1854 100k; querying; one full, rejected
WIP 4: Novella. Civil War w/a hint of supernatural. 43k
WIP 5: The Cotton Wars. 97k. Done.
a blog about the incredible true story
angeliz2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #21
Phaeal
Whatever I did, I didn't do it.

Phaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPhaeal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Long ago, in a galaxy you-know-where, I used to abandon novels. Now that I'm a full Jedi, I would never abandon work. If it's not on the market, I tuck it away to rest and visit it from time to time.

Some things may rest longer than others, that's all.

You must also be constantly vigilant for the human tendency to be excited over work in the early stages, jaded over work under lengthy revision. Your "boring" novel may not be, and your "brilliant" new idea may fade over time until it looks as dull as the "boring" piece. Pushing through the ennui to produce a finished product is a vital learning experience in itself, and the end product may even turn out shiny.

And so it goes.

Follow me on TWITTER: https://twitter.com/AnneMPillsworth

Last edited by Phaeal; 12-05-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Phaeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #22
adm
Benefactor Member

adm is on a distinguished road
You could always upcycle the good parts - it could be the spare novel you keep on hand for dialogue, characters, etc
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #23
dangerousbill
Retired Illuminatus

dangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputationdangerousbill has a golden reputation
Quote:
... the more I read it the more I find myself thinking "This story really isn't that interesting. I'm not sure anyone would want to read this." I'm thinking about dropping it for now/ever and moving onto my next idea, one that I'm incredibly confident in.
Sometimes that's the voice of the Procrastination Demon. She whispers in your ear, "Look at that shiny new idea. Leave this drudgery and follow my--I mean, your--dream."

Before you know it, you'll have a whole shelf full of first drafts and unfinished novels.

'Lessons at the Edge' - College student and his mother's best friend share an apartment. CAUTION: Explicit, 18+ http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Edge-P...ns+at+the+edge
Reviewed 'two thumbs up' at Erotica Revealed.
dangerousbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #24
OhTheHorror
jlw

OhTheHorror is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
If you abandon anything because you don't think others will find it worth reading, you'll toss whatever you've written the moment post-draft depression hits. You learn nothing by abandoning projects before they've made the rounds, except how to give up on a project.
What Jamesaritchie said. Even though I'm pretty guilty of it myself.

OhTheHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #25
shs22
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

shs22 is on a distinguished road
Lots of helpful advice here

I haven't made a decision yet, but I'm leaning towards sticking with it right now. And if I do stick with it I'm going to be extra hard on it. If my "this isn't interesting" sense tingles for even a half a second that section is getting axed / redone.
shs22 is offline   Reply With Quote