Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I feel the earth move, under my feet . . .

5.8 Richter scale quake, 30 miles east of Anchorage, Alaska, at 4:45 this afternoon. Strongest one we've had close here in some years. This follows a similar strength quake about 150 miles south, and another 4.0 quake about 100 miles south, in the past few days. These are all along the same major fault zone.

Kinda creepy.

caw
Old 12-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Opty
Pure, undiluted awesome

Opty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, we are getting closer to 12/21/2012.

Repent! The end of the world is nigh!

"The mind is its own place and, in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." John Milton
Opty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
poetinahat
connected
SuperModerator

poetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
she was shakin', snappin' her fingers...

your laughter pelts my skin with small delicious blows

- Edna St. Vincent Millay
poetinahat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You Ozzies really need some good active volcanoes and brittle tectonic fault zones to make your lives more interesting. Oh, and some snow and ice would help, too. And grizzly bears and moose.

caw
Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
LAgrunion
not to be taken seriously

LAgrunion has earned our admirationLAgrunion has earned our admirationLAgrunion has earned our admirationLAgrunion has earned our admiration
Hmmm, I've never heard about quake zones in AK, but I guess they are everywhere. Yeah, it's strange to feel earth move under you. Earthquakes are kinda weird. Some are slow and swaying. Some are a quick jolt. Here where I live, I probably feel a small one every year or so. The last big one was a 6.7 almost two decades ago.

The oddest experience I had was years ago, when a quake struck while I was on the 50th floor (give or take) of an office building. When I looked out the window at another tall building, I could see the building sway slowly (or maybe it was still and my structure was the swaying one). The feeling was kind of dizzying, like being on a boat with rolling waves. One person freaked out and walked all the way down to the ground floor and left (didn't return that day). Everyone else returned to work as if nothing happened.
LAgrunion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
poetinahat
connected
SuperModerator

poetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacbird View Post
You Ozzies really need some good active volcanoes and brittle tectonic fault zones to make your lives more interesting. Oh, and some snow and ice would help, too. And grizzly bears and moose.

caw
Sure thing, mate - we'll trade you some cyclones, droughts, tsunamis, snakes, trapdoor and funnelweb spiders, great white sharks, and we'll throw in a few drop bears as well...

cooee

Old 12-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAgrunion View Post
Hmmm, I've never heard about quake zones in AK,
Really? Get thee to a decent tectonic plate map (simple googling will do wonders here).

In 1964, southern Alaska was the site of the second most powerful earthquake ever recorded by modern instruments. Only a 1960 quake in Chile was stronger. We get three or four feelable quakes every year, which essentially means 4.0 or higher on the Richter scale. The Richter scale measures total energy release, and is logarithmic. A 5-point quake is 10 times as powerful as a 4-point quake. A 6-point quake is 100 times as powerful.

The 1964 quake is given a Richter magnitude of 9.2, more than 1000 times as powerful as the one we felt here today.

caw
Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

missesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetinahat View Post
Sure thing, mate - we'll trade you some cyclones, droughts, tsunamis, snakes, trapdoor and funnelweb spiders, great white sharks, and we'll throw in a few drop bears as well...

cooee
Was researching the world's most poisonous spiders recently and almost all of them were in Australia. I've decided, solely based on this, that Australia is a horrible, terrifying place.
missesdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
J.S.F.
practical experience, FTW

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Smile

Song thread is thataway-------->

We have tremors in Japan all the time, and wouldn't ya know it, I happen to live on a major fault line. And my mother always called me the lucky one in the family!

If the Mayans are right, we won't be around much longer to argue whether this or that is the correct answer. But...I kinda think they're wrong.

I hope.
J.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
jennontheisland
the world is at my command

jennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Makes for great surfing in Tofino...

Eat This.
jennontheisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
benbradley
Perspiring Whitey

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Hmmm, I've never heard about quake zones in AK, but I guess they are everywhere. Yeah, it's strange to feel earth move under you. Earthquakes are kinda weird. Some are slow and swaying. Some are a quick jolt. Here where I live, I probably feel a small one every year or so. The last big one was a 6.7 almost two decades ago.

The oddest experience I had was years ago, when a quake struck while I was on the 50th floor (give or take) of an office building. When I looked out the window at another tall building, I could see the building sway slowly (or maybe it was still and my structure was the swaying one). The feeling was kind of dizzying, like being on a boat with rolling waves. One person freaked out and walked all the way down to the ground floor and left (didn't return that day). Everyone else returned to work as if nothing happened.
There are Youtube videos of Tokyo skyscrapers during and after the Japanese quake and tsunami. ALL tall buildings were swaying. Seeing these prompted (or re-awoken - I'd thought of it perhaps a few years before) the idea for a story I wanted to write for the AW anthology, but didn't until Nanowrimo 2011.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
Kaiser-Kun
!

Kaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Mayans have sent you a poke.
Kaiser-Kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
Broadswordbabe
Chief High Procrastinator

Broadswordbabe is a glorious beacon of lightBroadswordbabe is a glorious beacon of lightBroadswordbabe is a glorious beacon of light
I read that properly designed buildings in earthquake zones are designed to sway. It makes them less brittle when a quake comes. Interestingly, there are temples in Petra that were built with 'soft' layers of earth between the stones to give the same effect. (There's a proper term for this which of course I can't remember...) Smart people, the Nabateans./derail. Stay safe, Blacbird.

Dangerous Gifts - A Babylon Steel novel

The Mammoth Book of Ghost Stories by Women
Broadswordbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
LAgrunion

LAgrunion has earned our admirationLAgrunion has earned our admirationLAgrunion has earned our admirationLAgrunion has earned our admiration
Quote:
Really? Get thee to a decent tectonic plate map (simple googling will do wonders here).
I'm pretty ignorant about geological matters, and know little about Alaska.

Though I'd love to visit Alaska one of these days. But there is one thing that scares me...

Once I heard a story about a guy who was traveling in Alaskan wilderness. He spilled some big glob of insect repellent on his leg. Then a mosquito the size of a pterodactyl landed on that spot and proceeded to suck his blood anyway.

I don't know any human the mossies enjoy eating more than me, so perhaps I ought to stay home...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
LAgrunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadswordbabe View Post
I read that properly designed buildings in earthquake zones are designed to sway. It makes them less brittle when a quake comes.
I think that's true.

I also remember reading about how some tall buildings have rollers at the bottom.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #16
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

Quote:

cooee
Well, you do have some horrorshow snakes and spiders, I'll give you that.

caw
Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #17
Gravity
Seen 'em come, seen 'em go

Location: Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
Gravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
trapdoor and funnelweb spiders
Are those the big hairy nasty buggers that look like they could carry a six-pack of really good beer on their backs as they amble over to bisect your ankle with their slavering, anthracite jaws?

Uh, no thanks.

commercially published: Abyss, Until the Last Dog Dies, When Skylarks Fall, To Skin a Cat, and Last Call

agent Chip MacGregor presently querying: Pitfall

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com/blog.htm
check out my blog; c'mon, you know you want to.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #18
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The bigguns a-comin'!
Xelebes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey, I've touched that fault!

Quote:
Once I heard a story about a guy who was traveling in Alaskan wilderness. He spilled some big glob of insect repellent on his leg. Then a mosquito the size of a pterodactyl landed on that spot and proceeded to suck his blood anyway.
Uhh, you'll be fine. I'd be more worried about bears.

I don't recall ever encountering mosquitos in Alaska...
Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #20
poetinahat
connected
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by missesdash View Post
Was researching the world's most poisonous spiders recently and almost all of them were in Australia. I've decided, solely based on this, that Australia is a horrible, terrifying place.
It is. Nobody should ever visit here.

/takes bus to one of several dozen surf beaches, kicks back with a cold one, enjoys uncrowded waves and fresh king prawns and mangoes/

Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

Quote:
/takes bus to one of several dozen surf beaches, kicks back with a cold one, enjoys uncrowded waves and fresh king prawns and mangoes/
And some freshly caught box jellies for dessert.

But, seriously, I desperately want to visit Oz, and have never had the opportunity. I'm a huge desert freak, a big fan of the wonderful and tragic story of Burke and Wills, and would most like to visit Sturt's Stony Desert and Shark Bay and Uluru and the Olgas. And the Dig Tree. that most of all. For Yanks who have never heard of Burke and Wills and the Dig Tree, read Alan Moorehead's classic history Cooper's Creek. Impossible not to like.

And drink some good cheap beer.

caw
Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #22
LAgrunion

Quote:

And drink some good cheap beer.
I dunno blacbird...

I'd love to see Australia too. (There is a reason I made the hero in my WIP an Aussie.)

But US Dollar to Aussie Dollar is pretty much at parity now. A decade or so ago the USD was almost twice as strong, if my memory serves.

So that Aussie stout ain't gonna be as affordable as you might hope...

(A great time for Aussies to visit the US though, if one can stand that 80 hour flight.)
Old 12-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #23
lastlittlebird
avem narrans

lastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolnesslastlittlebird leaves trails of profuse coolness
Yeah... for cheap good beer you'll have to keep going until you get to New Zealand.
We have plenty of earthquakes so you'll feel right at home... hopefully no more big ones for a long time though.

Amazon Link: Tempting the Unicorn
(a somewhat smutty fantasy novella)
lastlittlebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #24
LAgrunion

Quote:
A powerful earthquake struck off the northeast coast of Japan on Friday evening, rattling buildings in Tokyo and setting off a small tsunami.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/07/world/...html?hpt=hp_t3

Looks like Japan didn't want to be left out of the earthquake action.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #25
J.S.F.
practical experience, FTW

J.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJ.S.F. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The earthquake hit the Kanto area but I felt a tiny tremor in Osaka where I live. We get tremors all the time.

I swear, if an earthquake hits and I see Godzilla climbling out of Mt. Fuji, I'm leaving!
J.S.F. is offline   Reply With Quote