Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Alpha Echo
The Future is Bright

Alpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A New Level of Human Disgust

I cannot believe people. I cannot believe people still shock and disgust me.

Every year, the Federal Government does the Combined Federal Campaign where you can choose to donate to one or more of a million charities. I think they run TV commercials, so you may know of it.

Every year, I am my facility's POC. I'm supposed to do something fun to drum up enthusiasm amongst my peers and raise money. Well, people don't get excited. They hate to be bothered, and I hate to nag them to donate money. And it's not like we don't have a million other things going on right now - Toys for Tots, we're doing a Holiday decorating competition to raise money for Sandy victims, plus school fundraisers and church things...

So I don't put too much into the CFC. Generally, I send out emails reminding people of it. This year, however, upon my boss' insistence that I do something more, DH and I spent a good $50 to fill up a Costco Relish jar with Hershey minis. I counted them, made fliers, and put a BIG note on the jar saying "Make a guess for CFC!"

I leave earlier than others in the office, so every night the secretary locked up the candy when she left. She must have forgotten Friday because I came in this morning, and a third of the jar was gone. It's either the cleaning crew or my co-workers. My bet is on my co-workers. There's a reason we stopped the coffee fund.

These air traffic controllers make over $150k/year and they stole candy clearly marked for charity.

I am so pissed, I can't think straight.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
T.H Lawrence

Alpha Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
WillSauger
The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me.

WillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWillSauger is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Deep breath. Hold, count back: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... exhale.

Yeah, it still amazes me how unhelpful and inhumane people can be.

I really don't know what to say here. What can you say?

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
WillSauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Alpha Echo
The Future is Bright

Alpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlpha Echo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, I'll let you know once my boss figures something out. I don't even want to do this anymore. I'm so angry, though the initial bite has worn off a bit.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
T.H Lawrence

Old 12-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Sheryl Nantus
Holding out for a Superhero...

Location: Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
Sheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Echo View Post
Well, I'll let you know once my boss figures something out. I don't even want to do this anymore. I'm so angry, though the initial bite has worn off a bit.
I'd go for public shame.

Put out a memo and put it up in plain sight that this was NOT candy for eating, but for a charity contest. And you're going to leave the empty jar there so people can donate plain old cash, whether or not they took candy or not.

There's always one Christmas idiot in every office who doesn't think...
Sheryl Nantus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Johncs
This space for rent

Johncs has a spectacular aura
Stay calm...

Buy more candy...

And laxatives
Johncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It might have been one idiot who reached in and scooped out a bunch of candy and pocketed it.

As Sheryl said, leave it as is with a note in front of it. (Have a new contest with "Guess the amount of candy somebody took.")

It really irks me when someone takes the time and their own money to run something to help others, and some idiot comes along and in some way spoils it.

Thankfully there are many more good people than bad in this world.

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
leahzero
The colors! THE COLORS!

leahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputationleahzero has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormie View Post
As Sheryl said, leave it as is with a note in front of it. (Have a new contest with "Guess the amount of candy somebody took.")
Genius.

Remember, this might be human nature, but the majority of people didn't steal candy, or there'd be none left. It was probably one jerkwad acting alone.

My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.
leahzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
Alpha Echo
The Future is Bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormie View Post
I love it! That is an awesome idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahzero View Post
Genius.

Remember, this might be human nature, but the majority of people didn't steal candy, or there'd be none left. It was probably one jerkwad acting alone.
That is true. But it's just so aggravating!

Months ago, my Director told me that things were being moved around in her office overnight. Blinds that were down were up. Things she had in one place were missing, until she found them somewhere else. It was really, really odd.

There are no cameras up here, and only a handful have keys to her office. Whoever was doing this was taking the operational floor manager's key on the midnight shifts and breaking into her office just to f with her, I guess.

She lied to the union rep and said, "We have the video. We haven't watched it yet. I won't watch it if you talk to the employees and this doesn't happen again."

It never happened again.
T.H Lawrence

Old 12-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Kaiser-Kun
!

Kaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You could also add a string attached to a surveillance camera "So we can photograph your happy smiles when you donate!"
Kaiser-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
jjdebenedictis
is watching you via her avatar

jjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjjdebenedictis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahzero View Post
This. My mom used to work in an office that had a coffee fund. Every month, it made a bit of extra money, so they used it to provide treats for the office.

Later, their department was downsized and combined with another recently-downsized department.

Suddenly the coffee fund was losing a bit of money every month instead of making extra. When someone from the original staff commented on it, one of the newly-added employees grimaced and said, "Yeah. Our coffee fund lost money too. Guess our thief survived the job cuts."
Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #11
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
At my very first white-collar job, I came on during the holiday season. I saw that the big boss had left a neat Russian Tea mix at every break station, so I brought in some fancy hot chocolate mix for everyone and left it there, too.

So stolen! The very first day. This was not a big department. My naivete was crushed, I tell you !

It really is awful. Much later on at a different IT department and different company, I had a problem with someone stealing my pain meds any time I had to leave the room. People can suck, definitely.

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #12
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's just messed up...

I don't know what to say. The public shaming seems like a good idea.
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote