Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > QUILTBAG
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
SamanthaLehane
Not all who wander are lost

SamanthaLehane is well-respected
LGBT Representation in Libraries

Hi! In addition to my lurking and occasional commentary on AW, I'm a library science student. This semester I made a website, called Queer for Books (http://queer4books.samigardner.net/), for a student showcase (and won $50 for it. Booyah). Q4B is a collection of LGBT library science resources in addition to indexes of publishers, magazines, blogs, organizations, and more. I think that it has potential to be useful to librarians to improve their LGBT collections and outreach. I have plans to expand Q4B's link collections. That is where I need some help. I figure that AW is full of pop culture sponges and idle internet surfers who can shake out their bookmarks for a couple of LGBT links. Please check out my site and let me know if I missed a great LGBT resource.

SamanthaLehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Gale Haut
waxing digital artistic

Gale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGale Haut is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Congrats! I think what you're doing looks awesome.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
SamanthaLehane

Thank you so much!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nice. What I dislike about what our local library (LAPL) does is not shelve children's books in the children's section where an actual child might find them and read them. For example, I found See You At Harry's in the YA section amongst a shelf of much racier more sophisticated books. No YA reader would pick it up, it looks way too sweet with its 11 year old protagonist and blue checkered cover, and no MG reader will get to it either. The book has a gay older brother who (gasp) holds hands with his boyfriend and dances with him at a school dance. And they shelve Totally Joe, another MG book, in the adult section. Hello? This is a 1st person POV book about an extremely innocent gay kid, who is friends with his crush, and thinks about how he likes him and someday in the far future might consider that kissing him wouldn't be that bad. I hate that there isn't even a chance for a kid to pick it up and read it and think that a gay kid is an okay thing to be. Personal pet peeve!
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
I hate that there isn't even a chance for a kid to pick it up and read it and think that a gay kid is an okay thing to be. Personal pet peeve!
In fairness, there are a lot of books - across all genres - which are either misunderstood by the people placing them, or are deliberately kept in one place. This isn't an "issue" rather than a lack of understanding, and from the times I have corrected people I have found that most folks who love books are more than eager to correct placement.

That is, of course, if they have appropriate sections. There are a couple of small libraries which I dare not enter any more due to the illogical stacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #6
Kim Fierce
Attack me with everything you have.

Kim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, my book has 13 and 12 year old lesbian characters, and I'm too afraid to approach either my old junior high or high school to see if they'd carry it in their libraries, or even the public library. I grew up in a backwards town, but maybe they would put it in Indianapolis!

I think this web site is a great idea.

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain
The Divide, Book 1: Uprising

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!
The Divide, Book 2: Unity--3-14!!
Strong Arrow's Warpath--4-14!!
Revolt of the Perfectly Free, paperback short story collection--6-14!!
Kim Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
SamanthaLehane

@Kitty: Thank you. That is exactly what my site is trying to fight against by giving librarians more resources. Hopefully, my site can be useful to patrons as well.

Last edited by SamanthaLehane; 12-04-2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: forgot to say thank you.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
SamanthaLehane

Thank you, Kim Fierce! I would think that they would. I checked out the Indianapolis library and they have LGBT materials (http://sherloc.imcpl.org/?q=lgbt). I found more under the search term, 'gay,' as well.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Fierce View Post
Yeah, my book has 13 and 12 year old lesbian characters, and I'm too afraid to approach either my old junior high or high school to see if they'd carry it in their libraries, or even the public library. I grew up in a backwards town, but maybe they would put it in Indianapolis!

I think this web site is a great idea.
I grew up in Terre Haute. I remember going to the Vigo County public library (Indiana) as a kid in the early 90s, and seeing a wooden plank labeled Heather Has Two Mommies amongst the books. They couldn't keep the book on the shelves--whether it was to protect the children from Teh Gay or to protect the book from adults who want to deface it, I don't know!
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
They couldn't keep the book on the shelves--whether it was to protect the children from Teh Gay or to protect the book from adults who want to deface it, I don't know!

Defacing library books should be a capital offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #11
AmyJay
practical experience, FTW

AmyJay is well-respected
That's awesome! And yay, a fellow library science student!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #12
Kim Fierce
Attack me with everything you have.

Kim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to behold
Awesome, Samatha, I'll check it out!

And Kitty, I wonder if you had to specially request that book from teh libararian. Maybe angered parents didn't want their innocent children to pick up a Heather Has Two Mommies book and be bombarded by the gay agenda!!!!

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain
The Divide, Book 1: Uprising

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!
The Divide, Book 2: Unity--3-14!!
Strong Arrow's Warpath--4-14!!
Revolt of the Perfectly Free, paperback short story collection--6-14!!
Kim Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
SamanthaLehane

And yay, a fellow library science student!

Awesome! Yay! We are the few, the proud, the bookish!

[i]Awesome, Samatha, I'll check it out![i]

Please do and if you have any suggestions then please let me know!

Thank you all for commenting on this thread!

Last edited by SamanthaLehane; 12-19-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: I wrote 'are' instead of 'all.'