Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Coalition gets trashed in Rotherham

Well, byelections are funny things, but last night's results in Rotherham make for sober reading.

Sarah Champion (Lab) 9,866 (46.25%, +1.62%)
Jane Collins (UKIP) 4,648 (21.79%, +15.87%)
Marlene Guest (BNP) 1,804 (8.46%, -1.96%)
Yvonne Ridley (Respect) 1,778 (8.34%)
Simon Wilson (Cons) 1,157 (5.42%, -11.32%)
David Wildgoose (Eng Dem) 703 (3.30%)
Simon Copley (Ind) 582 (2.73%, -3.58%)
Michael Beckett (Lib Dems) 451 (2.11%, -13.87%)
Ralph Dyson (TUSC) 261 (1.22%)
Paul Dickson (Ind) 51 (0.24%)
Clint Bristow (ND) 29 (0.14%)

The Tories took a drubbing, even for Rotherham. The xenophobic right had a good evening, with the unpleasant UKIP in second and the despicable BNP in third place. But the Liberal Democrats came 8th, behind even the English Democrats, whoever they are. Extinction beckons, I reckon.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Torgo
Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
AW Moderator

Torgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTorgo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bye bye, Lib Dems! Don't let electoral oblivion hit you on the arse on the way out.
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just goes to show, we may be used to our politicians lying to us. But we certainly don't like it.

My Etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/UmptyOriginals
Goths available now, Geeks and Princesses very soon!
mirandashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
Just goes to show, we may be used to our politicians lying to us. But we certainly don't like it.
You British are always so proper. Voters on the other side of the pond apparently don't mind all that much. Our liars typically see a 90% + reelection rate.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
mirandashell

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
To be honest, it's more the getting caught that pisses us off. It feels like rubbing our faces in it. Especially when the 'liar' has previously taken the moral high ground like the Lib Dems did before the Election.

My Etsy shop!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I intend to vote Monster Raving Loony next time I get a chance.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams
JimmyB27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
mirandashell

Are they still about? I thought they'd packed in when Screaming Lord Sutch died.

My Etsy shop!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
To be honest, it's more the getting caught that pisses us off. It feels like rubbing our faces in it. Especially when the 'liar' has previously taken the moral high ground like the Lib Dems did before the Election.
The Lib Dems' combination of leftish sanctimony and letting Thatcherites gut the welfare state is horrible. They back Osborne as he destroys the Health Service and then make a stand against the Tories on...the Leveson Report.

Truly, truly pathetic. Even the English Democrats couldn't be that bad. Whoever they are, as I think I've said before.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
mirandashell

Yes well..... Any party with 'English' in their name should put 'Little' in front of it.

My Etsy shop!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
JimmyB27
Dazed & Confused

JimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJimmyB27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Are they still about? I thought they'd packed in when Screaming Lord Sutch died.
They had a candidate in my constituency last election. Matt "Bananamatt" Fensome, according to Wikipedia.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk."
Douglas Adams
JimmyB27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
mirandashell

Ah...here we go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Democrats

My Etsy shop!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #12
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Let's not pretend this means anything on a national scale. The turnout was way down - typical mid-term protest vote. When the next general election comes around it'll be the usual suspects occupying the top slots.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
crunchyblanket
the Juggernaut of Imperfection

crunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscrunchyblanket is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Apparently the turnout was very low indeed. The Manchester by-election apparently had a turnout of around 18%, which is one of the lowest turnouts since 1945.

Sadly, I don't think there's any chance the Big Three will be dislodged from their usual posts. Sad times for us lefty voters.

My short story "When Charlie Sleeps" is in Best British Horror 2014. Buy it. It'll make you happier and sexier.

crunchyblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #14
Priene
Out to lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyblanket View Post
Apparently the turnout was very low indeed. The Manchester by-election apparently had a turnout of around 18%, which is one of the lowest turnouts since 1945.

Sadly, I don't think there's any chance the Big Three will be dislodged from their usual posts. Sad times for us lefty voters.
Almost every poll and byelection for the last couple of years has suggested the Lib Dems have lost between a third and a half of their support. I think they have. They think they have as well.